Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 09:04 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Definitely the French Quarter.... haven't seen N.O. ever,
and it's said to be a truly unique city for the U.S. --
the architecture, the music, the cuisine...

Pittsburgh or Atlanta, for a first-time visitor?
(and which one is easier to get around in via transit?)
Pittsburgh for sure. Atlanta is just too much to deal with for a first timer. Very spread out, bad traffic, faster pace. Pittsburgh is easier to get around and more go with the flow.

Gadsden, AL or Jefferson City, MO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 09:45 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I think I'd go with Bonner(and Sandpoint), since the closest ski resort is closer to Sandpoint, vs. Polson. Polson seems like a nice town too, but I think there's a little more going on in Sandpoint. I'd have nothing against stopping in Polson, as that town also looks nice.

This is a slight bit overdue(not to forget I accidentally posted one of these comparisons over on the where would you rather live thread, on this very CvC board), but I'm really bringing the within so many miles of an interstate comparisons back. Anyway, and keep in mind this is ONLY looking at the portions of these expressways from Saint Louis to JUST points east of this city all the way eastward. and this comparison does NOT for example, include parts of I-70 in Colorado or other more westward portions): within 30 miles of I-70(and I'll be nice, and also throw in I-97 and US 50 east to Ocean City, MD), or within 30 miles of I-64? And to clarify for the former if you choose that one: you can't pick any places within the city of Washington, DC.
When one is driving from the Washington/Baltimore area to St. Louis, I-64 is much easier, and much more scenic, then I-70. So I'll take my vacation in the area where it's less crowded and less stressful. Specifically, I'm going to visit Beckley, WV and enjoy my tour of the Exhibition Coal Mine and Pipestem State Park and our newest national park, New River Gorge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Pittsburgh for sure. Atlanta is just too much to deal with for a first timer. Very spread out, bad traffic, faster pace. Pittsburgh is easier to get around and more go with the flow.

Gadsden, AL or Jefferson City, MO?
Gadsden, because I like the rolling hills and baby mountains in this region. And you're close enough to Birmingham to do some exploring. I know that this city doesn't have the best reputation, but I've also been hearing that it's been turning a corner of late. I've driven through it and the natural environment looked very appealing.

Now, for those who like extremes: Barrow (actually it's some name that I can't spell or pronounce now) Alaska, the northernmost town in the United States; or Na'alehu Hawaii, the southernmost? Since Barrow is completely isolated from the rest of Alaska, to make it fair, let's say that you're limited to Na'alehu and the two or three towns within a few miles of it, other than going to and from the airport.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:03 AM

1,098 posts, read 902,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
When one is driving from the Washington/Baltimore area to St. Louis, I-64 is much easier, and much more scenic, then I-70. So I'll take my vacation in the area where it's less crowded and less stressful. Specifically, I'm going to visit Beckley, WV and enjoy my tour of the Exhibition Coal Mine and Pipestem State Park and our newest national park, New River Gorge.

Gadsden, because I like the rolling hills and baby mountains in this region. And you're close enough to Birmingham to do some exploring. I know that this city doesn't have the best reputation, but I've also been hearing that it's been turning a corner of late. I've driven through it and the natural environment looked very appealing.

Now, for those who like extremes: Barrow (actually it's some name that I can't spell or pronounce now) Alaska, the northernmost town in the United States; or Na'alehu Hawaii, the southernmost? Since Barrow is completely isolated from the rest of Alaska, to make it fair, let's say that you're limited to Na'alehu and the two or three towns within a few miles of it, other than going to and from the airport.
I don’t even need to look these up. Na’alehu by a long shot. I hate the cold. I’d feel truly trapped in northern Alaska

Colorado Spring, CO vs Charleston, SC

Old 03-29-2022, 11:34 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
I don’t even need to look these up. Na’alehu by a long shot. I hate the cold. I’d feel truly trapped in northern Alaska

Colorado Spring, CO vs Charleston, SC
I’ll go with Charleston. Both are great, but Charleston’s historic district is unmatched in the US and it has a top culinary scene. There are a lot of other things to do there too. Colorado Springs is cool, but doesn’t offer quite as much.

Yosemite NP or Banff NP?

Old 03-29-2022, 11:48 AM

Banff NP. I’m tired of hearing about Yosemite, so much that I’m not even sure if I need to go anymore.. I’ll just hang out in the National forests surrounding the park if I’m ever in the area.

To stay with the NP theme.

Big Bend NP vs Great Smoky Mountains NP

Last edited by Jame22; 03-29-2022 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-29-2022, 02:19 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Banff NP. I’m tired of hearing about Yosemite, so much that I’m not even sure if I need to go anymore.. I’ll just hang out in the National forests surrounding the park if I’m ever in the area.

To stay with the NP theme.

Big Bend NP vs Great Smoky Mountains NP
Big Bend, since I hadn't explored this part of west Texas before myself. I've been to the Appalachians a lot and have explored other places in that area(I e. eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, etc), so don't need to pick Great Smoky Mountains. Though I'm sure Great Smoky Mountains is nice, for sure.

Weirdly with all the times I've passed through Beckley(speaking of what bus man said responding to my last comparison here), I don't know why I've never checked out Pipestem State Park. That really should change, if you ask me.

Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota, or Everglades National Park in Florida?

Old 03-29-2022, 02:31 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Big Bend, since I hadn't explored this part of west Texas before myself. I've been to the Appalachians a lot and have explored other places in that area(I e. eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, etc), so don't need to pick Great Smoky Mountains. Though I'm sure Great Smoky Mountains is nice, for sure.

Weirdly with all the times I've passed through Beckley(speaking of what bus man said responding to my last comparison here), I don't know why I've never checked out Pipestem State Park. That really should change, if you ask me.

Voyageurs National Park in Minnesota, or Everglades National Park in Florida?
I highly recommend Pipestem. Truly a beautiful place. Make sure to ride the tramway down to the bottom of the Bluestone River valley. If you stay the night in the lodge by the top edge of the valley, you might get lucky as I did, and wake up to see the valley enshrouded in fog. Quite the sublime sight.

I'm going to pick Voyageurs, mainly because I've never been there and don't even have any idea of what to expect, in terms of what it looks like. I know people will go on and on about the biodiversity of the Everglades and all that, but to me, it's just a swamp.

Lake Havasu City, AZ or St. George, UT?

Old 03-29-2022, 08:13 PM

3,888 posts, read 2,202,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I highly recommend Pipestem. Truly a beautiful place. Make sure to ride the tramway down to the bottom of the Bluestone River valley. If you stay the night in the lodge by the top edge of the valley, you might get lucky as I did, and wake up to see the valley enshrouded in fog. Quite the sublime sight.

I'm going to pick Voyageurs, mainly because I've never been there and don't even have any idea of what to expect, in terms of what it looks like. I know people will go on and on about the biodiversity of the Everglades and all that, but to me, it's just a swamp.

Lake Havasu City, AZ or St. George, UT?
Lake Havasu especially for the lake and the aquatic center. Six Flags Magic Mountain Valencia CA or Six Flags Great America Gurnee, IL?

Old 03-30-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Lake Havasu especially for the lake and the aquatic center. Six Flags Magic Mountain Valencia CA or Six Flags Great America Gurnee, IL?
After doing some quick research, I’d go with Six Flags Great America in IL. It seems slightly more impressive, both good parks though.

Key West, FL vs. Aspen, CO

Old 03-30-2022, 03:53 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
After doing some quick research, I’d go with Six Flags Great America in IL. It seems slightly more impressive, both good parks though.

Key West, FL vs. Aspen, CO
Key West. I’m not much of a skiier.

Harveys Lake, PA or Lake Hopatcong, NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City