Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 05:59 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Oregon coast, and it's an easy choice for me. I've already been to many east coast locations from Florida to New England. While the Chesapeake area would be neat to visit, the scenery can't compare to the Pacific coast. I've never been out there, but my wife has and sings its praises regularly.

Alabama or Mississippi?
For this one, I'm thinking Mississippi by a hair, barely. I think if this topic was asking about where you'd rather live, I'd pick Alabama over Mississippi. I mean I would like to see the towns of Natchez and Port Gibson(and maybe Vicksburg too), have heard good things about Ocean Springs, and a drive northeast on the Natchez Trace Parkway would be cool. Maybe also stop in Tupelo(if just to see Elvis' birth home), and (on a side note, as one of my relatives lives in a town off of the Natchez Trace Pkwy in northern Mississippi) also see one of my relatives? I would a little bit not mind also stopping in Clarksdale, as well.

Course once I got all that out of my system and visited those places, I have this weird feeling I'd prefer the cities and towns in Alabama. Though who knows if in the end, if I'd be right or wrong in what I suspect. And anyway, part of me has always suspected(despite the internet's hate boner for Alabama) that it isn't as bad as the online stereotypes are like.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Indianapolis is decent to life, but I literally drove past it in favor of St. Louis on my 2019 trip. Unless if you're a racecar fan, there really isn't much purpose in visiting "Naptown". Buffalo has more interesting architecture, nightlife, arts, parks, proximity to Niagara Falls, Lake Erie, and closer to hills for hiking. And you can even see MLB games there this summer.
If you ever do go back to Indy, I'd totally check out the museums there, such as the Eiteljorg Art Museum an also the Indianapolis Museum of Art(IMA). I think supposedly IMA renamed themselves to something else not long ago, like Newfields. But it's a name I always forget, since I was very used to its old name. I think people who hadn't spent a lot of time in Indy(and I've visited there NUMEROUS times), can sometimes forget there's a lot more there than just the Indy 500 racetrack!

And for the one just posted that I almost forgot to reply to, Knoxville. Since I always had wanted to visit there, and see U. of Tennessee's campus.

Pick between 2 mountain and volcano areas to visit: the area around Mt. Rainier and Mt. Saint Helens in southern Washington, or Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the 'Big Island' of Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 11:01 AM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
For this one, I'm thinking Mississippi by a hair, barely. I think if this topic was asking about where you'd rather live, I'd pick Alabama over Mississippi. I mean I would like to see the towns of Natchez and Port Gibson(and maybe Vicksburg too), have heard good things about Ocean Springs, and a drive northeast on the Natchez Trace Parkway would be cool. Maybe also stop in Tupelo(if just to see Elvis' birth home), and (on a side note, as one of my relatives lives in a town off of the Natchez Trace Pkwy in northern Mississippi) also see one of my relatives? I would a little bit not mind also stopping in Clarksdale, as well.

Course once I got all that out of my system and visited those places, I have this weird feeling I'd prefer the cities and towns in Alabama. Though who knows if in the end, if I'd be right or wrong in what I suspect. And anyway, part of me has always suspected(despite the internet's hate boner for Alabama) that it isn't as bad as the online stereotypes are like.......

If you ever do go back to Indy, I'd totally check out the museums there, such as the Eiteljorg Art Museum an also the Indianapolis Museum of Art(IMA). I think supposedly IMA renamed themselves to something else not long ago, like Newfields. But it's a name I always forget, since I was very used to its old name. I think people who hadn't spent a lot of time in Indy(and I've visited there NUMEROUS times), can sometimes forget there's a lot more there than just the Indy 500 racetrack!

And for the one just posted that I almost forgot to reply to, Knoxville. Since I always had wanted to visit there, and see U. of Tennessee's campus.

Pick between 2 mountain and volcano areas to visit: the area around Mt. Rainier and Mt. Saint Helens in southern Washington, or Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the 'Big Island' of Hawaii?
Hawaii. I've always wanted to go there. Yosemite National Park, CA or Yellowstone National Park, MT/WY?

Old 06-02-2021, 05:33 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Hawaii. I've always wanted to go there. Yosemite National Park, CA or Yellowstone National Park, MT/WY?
Yosemite for sure. I’ve never been there, but it looks spectacular. I’ve been to Yellowstone twice and it’s great if you’re into animals, but I don’t think it’s that scenic compared to other places I’ve been.

North Cascades NP or Glacier NP

Old 06-02-2021, 05:44 PM

668 posts, read 470,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yosemite for sure. I’ve never been there, but it looks spectacular. I’ve been to Yellowstone twice and it’s great if you’re into animals, but I don’t think it’s that scenic compared to other places I’ve been.

North Cascades NP or Glacier NP

North Cascades...the wilderness in that part of the country is just gorgeous to me

Acadia NP Maine, or Grand Canyon NP Arizona

Old 06-03-2021, 07:11 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Acadia NP Maine, or Grand Canyon NP Arizona
Acadia NP. I chose it because I've already been to the Grand Canyon, and because Maine is the only state east of the Mississippi River I haven't visited.

Where would you rather go for a local winery tour:

Yamhill County, Oregon or Gillespie County, Texas?

Old 06-03-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Acadia NP. I chose it because I've already been to the Grand Canyon, and because Maine is the only state east of the Mississippi River I haven't visited.

Where would you rather go for a local winery tour:

Yamhill County, Oregon or Gillespie County, Texas?
That's a tough one, since both places would be nice in their own ways. Fredericksburg(Gillespie Cty) for being a cool town with interesting shops/restaurants/bars/etc, and McMinnville(Yamhill Cty) for also being an interesting town. I guess I'd go with Yamhill, since there's more towns near McMinnville vs. Fredericksburg. Although I really like the western looking feel, of some of Fredericksburg's downtown buildings on google street view.

What place would you rather visit:

Field of Dreams filming site in Dyersville, Iowa(west of Dubuque), or the area of Iowa County, Wisconsin where Taliesin(a former Frank Lloyd Wright studio) and House on the Rock are located?

Old 06-04-2021, 02:03 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
That's a tough one, since both places would be nice in their own ways. Fredericksburg(Gillespie Cty) for being a cool town with interesting shops/restaurants/bars/etc, and McMinnville(Yamhill Cty) for also being an interesting town. I guess I'd go with Yamhill, since there's more towns near McMinnville vs. Fredericksburg. Although I really like the western looking feel, of some of Fredericksburg's downtown buildings on google street view.

What place would you rather visit:

Field of Dreams filming site in Dyersville, Iowa(west of Dubuque), or the area of Iowa County, Wisconsin where Taliesin(a former Frank Lloyd Wright studio) and House on the Rock are located?
If there's a Frank Lloyd Wright building to see, that's where I'd be going! So, Wisconsin.

Silver City, New Mexico, or Gold Hill, Oregon?

Old 06-04-2021, 07:44 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Silver City, New Mexico, or Gold Hill, Oregon?
Gold Hill looks really nice, but I'm going with Silver City because it's in my tentative plans in real life. I'm planning a trip to New Mexico, and Silver City and camping in Gila National Forest are on the agenda

Lake Isabella, California or Truth or Consequences, New Mexico?

Old 06-04-2021, 08:00 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
Gold Hill looks really nice, but I'm going with Silver City because it's in my tentative plans in real life. I'm planning a trip to New Mexico, and Silver City and camping in Gila National Forest are on the agenda

Lake Isabella. I've been to Truth or Consequences. Ft. Walton Beach FL or Panama City Beach?

Old 06-04-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Both places do look nice, but for vacationing I'd probably go with Lake Isabella. There's a little more to do, near there. Plus it's centrally located to Death Valley NP, Kings Canyon NP, and Sequoia NP.

Finally did look up this town on Wikipedia, and turns out Truth or Consequences was a radio game show, and later a TV game show. And that as there was a contest for the(then) radio show to be broadcast in the first town to rename itself, that (back then) Hot Springs, NM renamed itself to Truth or Consequences.

And for the one just posted barely before I was going to do this post, Fort Walton Beach. I remember years ago I briefly drove through Panama City and PCB briefly after a trip to St. George Island, and thought to myself it didn't seem as special as all the hype I'd heard about that area beforehand. I guess the hype about PCB was that it was mostly over it being a party beach destination? Especially Panama City(moreso than PCB), didn't seem like anything special, from what I saw of it passing through. Plus, I wouldn't mind exploring nearby Destin more, and that Ft. Walton also is close to Pensacola.

Anyway, next one: Wrangell- Saint Elias National Park in Alaska, or Haleakala National Park in Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City