Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 06:35 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Greensboro 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 07:28 AM

515 posts, read 252,805 times
is anyone noticing a trend in crime upticks in generally very safe places? here in Charlotte the city has been off to a better start for homicides and violent crime, but in some of the outer suburbs crime has gone way up. Rock Hill in particular has seen an uptick with 3 teens killed just this past weekend. Has this happened in any other metros?

And what a depressing start to the year.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:29 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
is anyone noticing a trend in crime upticks in generally very safe places? here in Charlotte the city has been off to a better start for homicides and violent crime, but in some of the outer suburbs crime has gone way up. Rock Hill in particular has seen an uptick with 3 teens killed just this past weekend. Has this happened in any other metros?

And what a depressing start to the year.
Yeah a shooting last in Greensboro was in a really nice area

Old 01-27-2021, 09:20 AM

233 posts, read 380,186 times
We had our first homicide last night here in Oxnard. A 33 year old was arrested shortly after for killing a 47 year old.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:54 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,084 times
Greater Toronto/Hamilton pop 7.8 million.........4
Greater Ottawa/Hull pop 1.4 million.................1
London and Windsor both still at zero.

The weird thing is that Sarnia { a border city across from Port Huron Mich with only 90,000} is at 4. The city averages about 2 a year and they have no primary suspects so they are beginning to worry that they may have a serial killer on their hands.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:55 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
2 homicides in Philly overnight.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:36 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Philly looks even worse now than it did a year ago. That is incredibly sad for a city doing virtually everything else right. But safety matters, and if you can't get that right..
It is really sad. Before the pandemic, Philly had all of the essential ingredients for a strong decade. IMO, it still has all of the necessary ingredients, but the issue of crime really needs to be addressed--especially as people begin to move deeper into neighborhoods that have seen disinvestment on a historical basis. Nowadays, it isn't uncommon to see new construction far into Cobbs Creek, Strawberry Mansion, Kensington, and other neighborhoods. I love my city and have no intention of leaving it anytime soon, but the crime that certain areas face can bring down a person with even the most bullish outlook on Philadelphia.

With that said, I've learned how to tune out of the news cycle. I'll be severely taken aback by a crime on occasion (like the shootings at Roberto Clemente Park and 15th and Market last year, and the one at 31st and Jefferson this year), but I don't let it affect my day-to-day life. Besides, I live in the Fairmount section of the city. If I turn off the news and stay away from rougher neighborhoods late at night (I'm not scared to be in any of them, as I grew up in West Philly), I can basically live my life as though crime doesn't exist.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:07 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
It is really sad. Before the pandemic, Philly had all of the essential ingredients for a strong decade. IMO, it still has all of the necessary ingredients, but the issue of crime really needs to be addressed--especially as people begin to move deeper into neighborhoods that have seen disinvestment on a historical basis. Nowadays, it isn't uncommon to see new construction far into Cobbs Creek, Strawberry Mansion, Kensington, and other neighborhoods. I love my city and have no intention of leaving it anytime soon, but the crime that certain areas face can bring down a person with even the most bullish outlook on Philadelphia.

With that said, I've learned how to tune out of the news cycle. I'll be severely taken aback by a crime on occasion (like the shootings at Roberto Clemente Park and 15th and Market last year, and the one at 31st and Jefferson this year), but I don't let it affect my day-to-day life. Besides, I live in the Fairmount section of the city. If I turn off the news and stay away from rougher neighborhoods late at night (I'm not scared to be in any of them, as I grew up in West Philly), I can basically live my life as though crime doesn't exist.
Crime is up in cities all across the nation. It is not just Philadelphia.

There was one notable random homicide in Philadelphia this year, which was very unfortunate.

Most of the crime (as we are seeing all across the US) is nearly all drug related homicides.

COVID, has increased the number of unemployed (especially those who already are on the brink of financial collapse) and the financial insecurity has led to a major uptick in substance abuse.

This has led fuel to the fire in terms of the drug turf wars, etc.

I really believe this is what we are seeing across the nation.

Mental health also has deteriorated, domestic violence has increased, and for those families with already unstable living conditions, the pandemic has made it even worse (why I think you are seeing an uptick in suburban homicides) in areas you do not typically see it. To reference a question another poster asked, why the suburbs are seeing an increase in crime.

I agree though, while the increase in crime is notable, and needs to be addressed, it has not reached a level where it is all random in nature, and the city will recover.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:36 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,488 times
2 women are dead after a triple shooting in Albuquerque.
News agencies are reporting 15 homicides in Albuquerque as of today.

Old 01-28-2021, 06:16 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
2 homicides in Philly overnight.

Wow Philly on fire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City