Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 11:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong1221 View Post
baltimore at 36 after 3 ppl killed overnight
smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 03:38 PM

282 posts, read 216,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
There was a hit and run earlier this week ruled a homicide and job 4 is reporting 20 from APD. The story is on the news site tonight.
They opened a homicide investigation that's different from ruling a homicide and what's the twentieth? They say 20 homicide investigations, again that's different from 20 homicides. Last year a person was found dead in a dumpster everybody thought it was a homicide, after investigation it was deemed not to be a homicide.

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...11104/?cat=500

Old 02-13-2021, 03:42 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Dayton now at 4 after man found shot dead in pick up truck on Jerome Ave.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:55 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
The delayed rollout of crime stats in Los Angeles continues. Latest Compstat numbers through 1/30:

2021- 38 (up 4 from previous week).
2020- 27
2019- 18
Numbers for LA through 2/6:

2021- 49 (up 11 from previous week)
2020- 31
2019- 20

Old 02-14-2021, 12:41 AM

163 posts, read 89,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Numbers for LA through 2/6:

2021- 49 (up 11 from previous week)
2020- 31
2019- 20
Which neighborhoods are seeing the most murders?

Old 02-14-2021, 07:01 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Very unusual for Montreal, especially since one victim was a 15-year-old girl. With that said, not exactly surprising. The economic recovery in Canada has been slow, similar to the US. Covid really has exposed that while Canada has a stronger social safety net than the US, it really has a lot of gaps that people can fall through.

Toronto is having a bad start to the year also with 9 homicides along with another young girl in critical condition from a shooting last night. If things don't turn around quickly, especially by summer, we could be in for a terrible year.
I seriously hope it's not a factor (I'd be really sad if it was), but the various debates over policing in recent months and years led Montreal's police (like in many other cities) to review some of its practices, and towards the end of 2020 they were implementing new policies on random stops and checks. The guidelines for officers being allowed to do this have become and are becoming a lot more restrictive.

Hopefully this spike in murders is just a temporary blip and not related to that in any way.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:53 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae1 View Post
Which neighborhoods are seeing the most murders?
South LA and Central LA.

In South LA, it's mostly gang related.

In Central LA, there has been an uptick in gang violence in a couple of poorer, immigrant heavy neighborhoods like Westlake and E. Hollywood, but a lot of it is vagrants killing each other.

The homicide rate for vagrants in 2020 was around 140/100K, compared 8.8/100K for the city as a whole. Mix drugs, mental illness, and a large percent vagrants that are violent felons...what could go wrong?

Old 02-14-2021, 10:50 AM

515 posts, read 252,879 times
Charlotte at 11. Candlelight vigil a couple days ago for a 16 year old killed in east Charlotte. Mecklenburg Co Sherriff addressed the violence so far but it has been a rough start.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:13 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I seriously hope it's not a factor (I'd be really sad if it was), but the various debates over policing in recent months and years led Montreal's police (like in many other cities) to review some of its practices, and towards the end of 2020 they were implementing new policies on random stops and checks. The guidelines for officers being allowed to do this have become and are becoming a lot more restrictive.

Hopefully this spike in murders is just a temporary blip and not related to that in any way.
It's not the major factor for the current spike. Most of it is taking place in the East end where there is a lot of street gang activity (bloods, crips, Haitian gangs, Arab gangs, etc). Factor in more illegal guns coming from the United States and the feds doing zero to combat that + the current crisis, fewer eyes on the street, mental health issues and so on, it's led to a spike we haven't seen in decades (referring to the biker wars in the 90s). I know the feds are taking the "legalise all drugs" approach to reduce sentencing and crime but doing zero on preventing guns from coming in from the United States and the lack of new mental health services will make the problems grow.

The country also needs to chill with the whole "look how woke I am" stuff as well, since politicians believe cracking down on crime and gangs are considered "racist" and "backwards" thinking. It's the same thinking that made crime get out of control in certain cities and the same thinking that led to us not closing borders during a pandemic and as a result of it, made it spike dramatically. I sadly experience this being in politics on a daily basis and it does hamper proper policy making and effective policies to get done and at the expense of citizens.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:38 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
It's not the major factor for the current spike. Most of it is taking place in the East end where there is a lot of street gang activity (bloods, crips, Haitian gangs, Arab gangs, etc). Factor in more illegal guns coming from the United States and the feds doing zero to combat that + the current crisis, fewer eyes on the street, mental health issues and so on, it's led to a spike we haven't seen in decades (referring to the biker wars in the 90s). I know the feds are taking the "legalise all drugs" approach to reduce sentencing and crime but doing zero on preventing guns from coming in from the United States and the lack of new mental health services will make the problems grow.

The country also needs to chill with the whole "look how woke I am" stuff as well, since politicians believe cracking down on crime and gangs are considered "racist" and "backwards" thinking. It's the same thinking that made crime get out of control in certain cities and the same thinking that led to us not closing borders during a pandemic and as a result of it, made it spike dramatically. I sadly experience this being in politics on a daily basis and it does hamper proper policy making and effective policies to get done and at the expense of citizens.
The second part of your post is exactly what I was talking about in mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City