Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 06:21 PM

824 posts, read 713,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdot203 View Post
If PG county is anything like where Im at in Riverside county (gentrification from big cities in the 80s - today) then they foreshadow that the burbs are becoming increasingly like the urban centers in terms of crime volume.
I’m not sure what the current numbers show in terms of where they are, but a lot of these suburbs have historically been high-crime as well, maybe even going as far back as the 1970s.

I think that’s something important to look at/analyze. Many, if not the majority of areas with these types of issues have had these types of issues or were vulnerable to them for a long time. Most areas that have problems, whether they be socioeconomic/crime were already in vulnerable spots by the Great Depression with not many exceptions. Even prior to World War 2, things like de-industrialization had already been in full force in a lot of the Northeast, especially the mill-towns of New England, which basically lost all of its textile manufacturing to places down south like the Carolinas by 1920. Some policies we don’t think about very often in the discussions on urban decline is how the faucet that kept many of these cities going, immigration, was also shut off by heavy restrictions put in place in the early 1920s.

Most areas that are declined today peaked in population in the 1930s-1950s, however by the time they peaked, they were somewhat to extremely run-down, with shanties, rats, street dogs, tenements, poor health, pollution, trash heaps, etc all being prominent.

A lot of these places of course didn’t have the same crime issues as they do nowadays, because things like urban renewal(outside of some housing projects constructed in the 1930s) and highway construction didn’t kick in until after world war 2, which is ultimately the fire that brought the Powder-keg that was 1940s urban America to explode.

Another entire aspect of this discussion is of course racism, and how the forms of massive amounts of equity that were available after world war 2 weren’t available to non-whites so while white people, immigrant communities or non, managed to gain a lot in the aftermath of the war, black families fell even more behind than they already were, so by the time desegregation occurred in the 1960s-1970s, and even then, it was still difficult for many POC to obtain credit.

Just sometimes I think discussions about homicide and crime do need a back-drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 05:44 AM

354 posts, read 785,341 times
Quote:
If PG county is anything like where Im at in Riverside county (gentrification from big cities in the 80s - today) then they foreshadow that the burbs are becoming increasingly like the urban centers in terms of crime volume.
not really, PG County crime was much worse before the DC gentrification wave took off.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:01 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
not really, PG County crime was much worse before the DC gentrification wave took off.
When I graduated HS in 03 PG had around 120- 150 year with a rate around 17. I always used to compare it to Indiannapolis or Chicago bc the rates were similar at the time. Meanwhile DC was still putting up around 250- 260 a year. So PG has definetely calmed down. If anything I watch how Baltimore county is being effected by Baltimore. They had their highest at 50 in 2019 I believe, they generally only have around 25-30 outside of Baltimore city.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:14 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Man shot to death in Dorchester, Boston. Right across the street from City Councilor at-large Julia Mejia's house

https://twitter.com/juliaforboston/s...698468355?s=20

Woman shot to death in a Downtown hotel in Boston

Locatoin: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1+...!4d-71.0611084

Boston 6 and 7

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-05-2021 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 07:38 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
Austin - 7 murders, 8 homicides, (one police involved).

Old 02-05-2021, 11:33 AM

922 posts, read 1,698,497 times
Dallas - 24 (2020 = 18)
MURDER & NONNEGLIGENT MANSLAUGHTER - 17 (2020 = 16)
NEGLIGENT MANSLAUGHTER - 7 (2020 = 0)
JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE - 0 (2020 = 2)

Latest update added 6 "NEGLIGENT MANSLAUGHTER." These don't count as murders and will not be included in the final NIBRS (UCR) report.

Last edited by DtX4415; 02-05-2021 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 06:25 PM

824 posts, read 713,393 times
Quote:
Compton has 3 so far from what I see.. compton is probably an alright place to live now days but you still need a gun and gotta becareful when you come back from work..
lol, “need a gun” just so you can get shot yourself. Wouldn’t recommended a gun for defense unless you have years of experience, like a soldier or firearm instructor.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
"A Hyde Park man was ordered held on $100,000 bail Friday after his arrest in connection with a fatal shooting inside the Hyatt Regency Hotel that left a 17-year-old girl dead, officials said.

Messiah Leggett, 20, of Hyde Park, was ordered held by Judge James Stanton following his arraignment Friday in Boston Municipal Court on possession of a firearm charges, according to the district attorney’s office."

6 months earlier:

Police say two men showed up at Hyde Park field with a loaded gun

"Boston Police report arresting two men, one from Hyde Park and one from Randolph, on gun charges at Ross Playground in Hyde Park yesterday after somebody called 911 to report a guy with a gun there.

Police say that on scene, witnesses pointed out two men and a woman and said that one of the men had pulled out a gun during an argument at the basketball court shortly before 4:30 p.m.
alleged GPS-device wearer Travis Seales, 19, of Randolph, and alleged backpack wearer Messiah Leggett, 20, of Hyde Park, were charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm without a license and possession of a large-capacity firearm, police say."

Ironically Ross Playground was so dangerous as a kid in the late 90s/early 2000s. Walking down Wood Ave or going to the park without permission was an automatic whoopin' for us growing up. For a period it improved, but thats been over with for a while.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
The rate of people "whoopin" each other goes down decade after deacade ever since the 70s.. there's probably less confrontations now but more people resort to shooting so yes to northeastern1970 yes a gun.. better to get shot with one than with out. And this goes for anywhere it doesnt have to be the city it can be small town arkansas... 2nd amendment
No...I mean my parents would whoop me for just walking up the street, there was so much mugging and stabbing and fighting and Pitbulls. Talking year ~2000. Mostly due to the Wood Ave Eagles. They wanted to keep us safe. The Eagles had broken into our house, stolen our bikes etc.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah I never been out that way though I do remember seeing a movie that was in Boston where it look like the slums, I firgot the name of it but i remember a scene where these dudes punked the character at the gas station and as they left was shooting in the air I'm like damn they get down like that in Boston too lol.
That was ‘Squeeze’. I got my first car inspected at that gas station. I went by recently and its been sold and abandoned about to be demolished for condos.

But yea- there’s many movies and shows about crime all over Boston, and yes they get down like that, and more. Not everyday but pretty frequently. Well I dunno.. there is a call for shots fired everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City