Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these southern metros is the most nationally recognized?
Louisville 7 5.26%
Richmond 11 8.27%
Raleigh/Durham 24 18.05%
Charleston 30 22.56%
Birmingham 1 0.75%
Memphis 60 45.11%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 07:30 AM

771 posts, read 625,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think that brand matters, regardless of any current reality in any of these places, and long term brand identity has deep roots in the consciousness of America. Among this list, Charleston has the oldest roots, while arguably Memphis has the most significant cultural roots over time. For that reason I'm voting for Memphis. Even with my vote, the irony isn't lost on me that greater Memphis is currently the most stagnant (growth) among the lot, with Birmingham running a close second. It just goes to show how important and long lasting some of these identities are.
I can't help but wonder if it was on purpose to compare Raleigh/Durham with this list. All of the other cities are legacy Southern cities that have much deeper cultural roots & identities, despite Raleigh/Durham (together) arguably being in a different tier than the others with 2.1 million people. Not so terribly long ago, the Triangle was smaller than all of them but Charleston. It's now at least several hundred thousand people larger than all of them, and much more than twice the size of Charleston.
It's true that the Triangle is newer than the others, but I included it due to RTP and the universities. Duke is arguably the best known college basketball program in the nation, and UNC isn't far behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 01:32 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
People outside of NC aren’t as rabid college basketball fans. Do people even know that Duke is in NC anyway?

My guess would be that nationally people feel that Raleigh is a good place to live but they couldn’t tell you anything about the area. As someone who has been to Raleigh dozens of times, I’m hard pressed to create a mental image of the place. I’ve never been to Memphis but I can clearly see it (well what I image it to be) in my mind’s eye, if that makes any sense.

I voted Louisville because it is evocative as an old timey city with some new national buzz/brand recognition (there’s a new fox sitcom based there and that country song about the woman taking her Louisville Slugger to her cheating BF’s truck was a huge hit).

Old 01-08-2021, 02:05 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
The Duke-UNC rivalry is pretty well known as being an intense rivalry. Anyone that watches ESPN in the winter is probably aware of Duke’s location in NC.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:16 PM

17,162 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The Duke-UNC rivalry is pretty well known as being an intense rivalry. Anyone that watches ESPN in the winter is probably aware of Duke’s location in NC.
Disagree...

Old 01-08-2021, 02:16 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Very well known. THE rivalry in college hoops!

Old 01-08-2021, 02:24 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Very well known. THE rivalry in college hoops!
Agree it's well known, though I'm not sure I agree it adds a whole lot of name recognition/branding for RDU. I think in the scenario of this thread Raleigh is in the rare position of being an underdog. Not saying it doesn't have name recognition nationally. I do believe it is lesser known overall than Memphis and Charleston, and perhaps even Louisville. Certainly outside of college basketball, which isn't as ubiquitous in common culture as other sports.

Name recognition and branding always lags reality. The older south legacy cities benefit from their previous statures, where places like Raleigh, and a few other cities that have precipitously risen over the last few decades; are still catching up in that dept.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:29 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Oh I agree Duke-UNC have limited upside in making the area known in comparison to Ft. Sumter or Beale Street. I’d have both Memphis and Charleston above it for these purposes. But anyone halfway interested in sports knows Duke is 8 miles away from UNC.

College basketball is pretty well followed in this country. More people watched Virginia win the 2019 championship than Toronto win Game 6 that same year. UNC-Duke tv ratings are competitive with the highest rating non-Christmas regular season NBA games. College basketball is not college football, but it is a top 6 sport in this country more than likely.

Last edited by Heel82; 01-08-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-08-2021, 02:39 PM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Memphis

Old 01-08-2021, 03:14 PM

771 posts, read 625,882 times
Duke and UNC fans are common across the country. They have strong legacies (Coach K, Michael Jordan, etc.) and Kentucky is the only state that can truly rival North Carolina in terms of college basketball mania.

I don't know if the Triangle is an underdog compared to Richmond or Birmingham. Richmond, while underrated, is a city that most people don't know about apart from Civil War-related history and its proximity to D.C. Birmingham is famous for Civil Rights-related history and little else. If anything, all three are in the same boat in terms of recognition.

With that being said, I probably should have excluded Memphis from the poll.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:39 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I know Duke is in NC, but which little cluster of small cities is it? Like many people, I follow my state's teams a little, then watch snippets of the tournament, but I don't watch other teams during the regular season.

In a quick look, NFL game TV ratings seem to be multiples of NCAA basketball in the regular seasons.

PS, I know which cluster. Mostly because I watch the biotech/tech industries as a builder, and the Triangle has a presence in those categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City