Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these southern metros is the most nationally recognized?
Louisville 7 5.26%
Richmond 11 8.27%
Raleigh/Durham 24 18.05%
Charleston 30 22.56%
Birmingham 1 0.75%
Memphis 60 45.11%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 04:14 PM

4,181 posts, read 2,899,234 times

Advertisements

Charleston is one of a handful of cities that are definitely covered in US history class. New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Charleston. I know history class is full of names for some and hard to sit through, but Charleston is definitely mentioned several times throughout your formal education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 06:06 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,708,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Charleston is one of a handful of cities that are definitely covered in US history class. New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Charleston. I know history class is full of names for some and hard to sit through, but Charleston is definitely mentioned several times throughout your formal education.
Every state's curriculum doesn't teach American history the same, even as every state has some form of "US History" classes; I'm positive other posters who grew up across different states could attest to this. Charleston may have been mentioned im some texts as little more than a paragraph, so I definitely wouldn't be quick to assume everyone hears about Charleston in school...

I went to primary school in three different states. Everyone's history classes are not the same, let alone once you get to high school, which i did in VA and a year in NC and the curriculum and shaping of classes and courses between Virginia and North Carolina is dramatic. There was a delay getting me started the one year I did school here because some of the standard classes I'd already taken in VA didn't have parallel courses in NC and/or were considered advanced for 11th grade in North Carolina....

Not to get too sidetracked, just further underlining there can and are drastic differences in curriculum state to state, and while Charleston had a strong relevance in early American history, that doesn't mean Charleston is integral enough to have more than a passing mention about in the way other states teach US history...

Again, Charleston is popular over here. Ohio isn't "eastern seaboard" but is definitely EST so it fits my original point, there's a geography to where Charleston's name and reputation has prestige. There's a whole lot of country left that Charleston is just any other place that you may have heard something about. Still may have the next most national acclaim of all these cities, as I initially mentioned, but this isn't a group of cities where any of them have tremendous notoriety outside of the obvious one anyway...

Old 01-11-2021, 06:36 PM

8,300 posts, read 5,754,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Every state's curriculum doesn't teach American history the same, even as every state has some form of "US History" classes; I'm positive other posters who grew up across different states could attest to this. Charleston may have been mentioned im some texts as little more than a paragraph, so I definitely wouldn't be quick to assume everyone hears about Charleston in school...

I went to primary school in three different states. Everyone's history classes are not the same, let alone once you get to high school, which i did in VA and a year in NC and the curriculum and shaping of classes and courses between Virginia and North Carolina is dramatic. There was a delay getting me started the one year I did school here because some of the standard classes I'd already taken in VA didn't have parallel courses in NC and/or were considered advanced for 11th grade in North Carolina....

Not to get too sidetracked, just further underlining there can and are drastic differences in curriculum state to state, and while Charleston had a strong relevance in early American history, that doesn't mean Charleston is integral enough to have more than a passing mention about in the way other states teach US history...

Again, Charleston is popular over here. Ohio isn't "eastern seaboard" but is definitely EST so it fits my original point, there's a geography to where Charleston's name and reputation has prestige. There's a whole lot of country left that Charleston is just any other place that you may have heard something about. Still may have the next most national acclaim of all these cities, as I initially mentioned, but this isn't a group of cities where any of them have tremendous notoriety outside of the obvious one anyway...
I think you missed the sarcasm.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:35 PM

There wasn’t sarcasm, and I think every history book in America mentions Charleston. There are a small handful of inflection points in American history. Fort Sumter is arguably second only to the Shot heard round the world in terms of major turning points.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:29 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,708,387 times
Quote:
There wasn’t sarcasm, and I think every history book in America mentions Charleston. There are a small handful of inflection points in American history. Fort Sumter is arguably second only to the Shot heard round the world in terms of major turning points.
Again though, I'm not sure why you assume this would be covered the same everywhere, because I assure you it isn’t lol...

Old 01-12-2021, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Again though, I'm not sure why you assume this would be covered the same everywhere, because I assure you it isn’t lol...
The Civil War isn’t covered in a standard US history book?

Old 01-12-2021, 05:36 AM

14,355 posts, read 9,234,499 times
Quote:
The Civil War isn’t covered in a standard US history book?
I don't know of a US history textbook that doesn't cover the Civil War, but not all history textbooks give it the same spin.

States, not the Federal government, establish standards for K-12 education and curricula; some states even mandate that all school districts within the state use the same textbooks. (Texas is one of those states, and because it's so large, textbook publishers often write textbooks with an eye on winning Texas' business, and other school districts and/or states follow in Texas' wake. You may recall that Lee Harvey Oswald killed John F. Kennedy via shots fired from the Texas School Book Depository building in downtown Dallas.)

i remember going to a used-book sale at the grade school I attended in Kansas City, Mo., and buying a history textbook written in 1961 for fifth graders there. I think the city public schools had used this textbook in their classes. The chapter on the Civil War in it referred to the conflict as "the War Between the States," which is a term for it favored in the South but not used at all in the North. (Real Lost Cause partisans go further, calling it "the War of Northern Aggression.")

By the time I came along, the city schools used textbooks that referred to the conflict as "the Civil War" instead. And yes, the firing on Fort Sumter was mentioned in it as the triggering event.

I suspect there's still a variance in emphasis in how grade-school textbooks treat the Civil War even today — and that what gets played up and what gets played down will vary depending on your state. Now, given that a state roadside historical marker in Wilmington, N.C., erected in 2019, refers to the violent overthrow of that city's integrated government in 1898 as a "coup," a term that had been shunned for more than a century (newspapers at tht time called it a "riot"), it probably means that the variance is much less than it was in the 1960s. But I doubt it's disappeared completely.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:32 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,754,002 times
Quote:
There wasn’t sarcasm...
Oops!

When you're mentioning Charleston in the same breath as NYC, Boston and Philly, it gets hard to tell whether you're being serious.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:35 AM

1,097 posts, read 819,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I feel like Raleigh is being really underrated here. I hear much more about it than Richmond or Birmingham. I'd probably go:

1. Memphis
2. Charleston
3. Raleigh
4. Louisville
5. Richmond
6. Birmingham

Memphis wins because it has a ton of history, cultural legacies like BBQ and Music, plus an NBA team and a D1 athletics program. 2 and 3 is kind of close. I hear more about Charleston as a tourism destination and pop-culture place, whereas I hear more about Raleigh as an actual city that people live and work. I picked Louisville over Richmond mainly because of the Kentucky Derby and UL athletics program. I don't hear much about Richmond outside of this forum, or Birmingham anywhere, really.
I agree with the list. I would just replace Birmingham with Richmond. Birmingham is notoriously remembered for the civil Rights era it's all over the history books.

Old 01-12-2021, 06:43 AM

1,097 posts, read 819,436 times
Raleigh is famous but it's not known for much outside of college basketball and Research Triangle Center. Raleigh is primarily known for being a Tech Hub and a College Town. It has a pretty modern feel so it doesn't have that same legacy as other cites on the list as hallmarks of the Civil Rights and the Civil War era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City