Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The state with the best professional sports fans
Colorado 0 0%
Florida 1 1.67%
MD/VA/DC 1 1.67%
Pennsylvania 11 18.33%
Minnesota 1 1.67%
Arizona 3 5.00%
New York 4 6.67%
Texas 5 8.33%
Illinois 7 11.67%
Massachusettes 13 21.67%
Michigan 4 6.67%
California 5 8.33%
Ohio 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,489,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
Boston's had unbelievably good teams since the 2000's though, that can't be denied. Red Sox, Bruins, C's, and Patriots have for the most part been competitive since that date every year. The future of Boston sports though is a bit dimmer. The Pats don't have Brady anymore and I get the feeling Bill Belicheck might bounce soon, the Red Sox are trading away their guys, and the Bruins core is aging. Only the C's have a truly bright future ahead with Brown and Tatum leading the way. I think they will come out and support the teams, but we'll see.

I don't think New York fans are the best, but they should be in the conversation. 8 Big 4 teams in NYC (9 if you count the NJ Devils NHL team) plus the Bills and Sabres. Of these teams (Jets, Giants, Bills, Sabres, Rangers, Isles, Knicks, Nets, Yankees, Mets) which one has the worst fanbase? the Mets? You know your a good sports city if your worse fanbase is the Mets. And given how irrelevant some of these teams have been this century (looking at you, Jets, Knicks, Sabres) you gotta give the fanbases credit where it's due. To me personally, filling MSG for the Knicks season after season of mediocrity might be one of the bigger achievements of any sports fan base considering how bad they are...
That’s the worst thing ever to happen to the Knicks. Maybe if fans didn’t show up Dolan might take a long hard look in the mirror and get out of his own way to let this team be successful again? Ditto for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

Where’s the motivation to change and/or put a winning product on the field if fans show up in droves, buy merch, etc for an inferior project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 06:45 PM

515 posts, read 256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That’s the worst thing ever to happen to the Knicks. Maybe if fans didn’t show up Dolan might take a long hard look in the mirror and get out of his own way to let this team be successful again? Ditto for Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

Where’s the motivation to change and/or put a winning product on the field if fans show up in droves, buy merch, etc for an inferior project?
well to be fair New York is a city of 8 million + people, so if you have a historic arena that seats 20,000 fans a game, and a historic franchise that has a good fanbase (Knicks fans are some of the most passionate in the league IMO), it's basically guaranteed to sell out every night. It's my personal opinion that James Dolan is by far the worst owner in the NBA (worse than Sarver in Phoenix or Ranadive in Sacramento, or even worse than MJ here in Charlotte) but I think the root of the Knicks issues are in fact that he hires incompetent GM's and coaches. I think they are on the right path with Leon Rose and Tom Thibodeau, but look at the past of the Knicks. They've had high picks that are complete busts, and their basketball philosophy is really bad. In the past two years, the Knicks have had virtually no good shooters on their team. In today's NBA, which is reliant on efficiency and three-point shooting, that's a no-go. And that failure is on the front office to not be able to incorporate that. That's why I think Dolan is such a bad owner. He can't hire a good gm or coach to save his life.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:05 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,128,327 times
Quote:
well to be fair New York is a city of 8 million + people, so if you have a historic arena that seats 20,000 fans a game, and a historic franchise that has a good fanbase (Knicks fans are some of the most passionate in the league IMO), it's basically guaranteed to sell out every night. It's my personal opinion that James Dolan is by far the worst owner in the NBA (worse than Sarver in Phoenix or Ranadive in Sacramento, or even worse than MJ here in Charlotte) but I think the root of the Knicks issues are in fact that he hires incompetent GM's and coaches. I think they are on the right path with Leon Rose and Tom Thibodeau, but look at the past of the Knicks. They've had high picks that are complete busts, and their basketball philosophy is really bad. In the past two years, the Knicks have had virtually no good shooters on their team. In today's NBA, which is reliant on efficiency and three-point shooting, that's a no-go. And that failure is on the front office to not be able to incorporate that. That's why I think Dolan is such a bad owner. He can't hire a good gm or coach to save his life.
All true but Dolan's mainly a bad owner because he's an entitled, spoiled, pissed off, cokehead little brat. He thinks he's smarter than everyone and has a bad inner circle around him. I do agree that Rose and Thibs are a good start. They finally have some nice young pieces in Barrett, Obi, Quickley and Robinson. And Thibs has Randle playing good which is a nice surprise to all Knicks fans. Back to Dolan, He's BY FAR the worst owner in the NBA. One of the 5 worst owners in all of pro sports. This has been going on since Patrick left town over 20 years ago! It's been an entire generation of ineptitude. Any Knicks fan under 30 has no idea how the Garden used to rock and shake. It's really sad. Knicks fans are generational and they're off to a solid start this year for a change. Add to that all of the corporate money and the sellout streak will stay intact for a long time. Imagine if they were actually a contender. Seats would be as hot as they were when I used to be at the Garden watching Patrick and Starks take on MJ, Pippen & Co.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:27 AM

7,485 posts, read 6,670,621 times
Perhaps Knicks fans should follow the example NY Giants fans set forth towards the end of the 1978 season via peaceful “insurrection”, which the owner at that time heard loud and clear with a corrective roadmap ensuing that included hiring a very competent GM named George Young (though Mara cared whereas Dolan doesn’t so it likely wouldn’t matter).

“1978 will always be remembered as the last year the Giants would operate as a clueless organization. After the “Fumble” game in November against Philadelphia, Giant fans would revolt, burning tickets, bashing the team and even calling for the Maras to sell the club.“

“Mara saw his father hung in effigy from the upper level of Giants Stadium. And two weeks after "The Fumble," the infamous game on Nov. 19, 1978 - the lowest moment in Giants Stadium history - fans burned tickets in a makeshift toilet bowl in the parking lot before a game against the Rams. The next week, a plane flew over the stadium during a game against the Cardinals with a banner, "15 Yrs. Of Lousy Football. We've Had Enough."

https://www.nysportsday.com/2017/04/...-hit-its-peak/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyd...outputType=amp

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; 01-13-2021 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-13-2021, 07:40 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,128,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Perhaps Knicks fans should follow the example NY Giants fans set forth towards the end of the 1978 season, which the owner at that time heard loud and clear with a corrective roadmap ensuing (though Mara cared whereas Dolan doesn’t so it likely wouldn’t matter).

“Mara saw his father hung in effigy from the upper level of Giants Stadium. And two weeks after "The Fumble," the infamous game on Nov. 19, 1978 - the lowest moment in Giants Stadium history - fans burned tickets in a makeshift toilet bowl in the parking lot before a game against the Rams. The next week, a plane flew over the stadium during a game against the Cardinals with a banner, "15 Yrs. Of Lousy Football. We've Had Enough."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyd...outputType=amp
Yeah that was the low point in Giants history. Two decades of **** before Parcells and LT came to town. While I don't disagree with the tactics they wouldn't work with the Knicks because of Dolan's apathy. Hell, Dolan publicly kicked one of the Knicks fans' all-time favorites Charles Oakley out of MSG a few years ago. More embarrassing PR but Dolan truly does not give a hoot. Jets fans have been flying planes over the stadium for the last 5 years and unfortunately it's only gotten worse

Old 01-13-2021, 06:25 PM

29 posts, read 10,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not really. Mavs and maybe the Texans are just as loyal as those three. In Philly, up until recently if you go by attendance, you couldn’t give sixer tickets away.
Sounds like the Celtics, Patriots and Bruins before they won.

Boston is a fickle sports town if they're not winning. Look at attendance.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:27 PM

29 posts, read 10,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston fans get a reputation as hardcore, but it's really only because the teams have largely been successful in the last 20 years. It's easy to be a sports fan when the local team is good.

I think Bruins fans are true fans. The rest feature a lot of bandwagoners.
Bingo.

I would disagree about Bruins fans though. They were bottom of the league in attendance before they won in 2011. It's pure fact backed by attendance data.

I would say the only tried and true sports fan in Boston is the Red Sox fan. The other three are fairweather, as backed up by attendance data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City