Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most comparable to Washington, DC?
Baltimore 8 10.13%
Richmond 15 18.99%
Norfolk 1 1.27%
Atlanta 12 15.19%
Philadelphia 8 10.13%
New York 1 1.27%
Boston 26 32.91%
Other 8 10.13%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 09:07 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,818,204 times

Advertisements

DC doesn't have lackluster nightlife. Boston nightlife is 100% different than DC's in almost every possible way. Its not terrible but it's not good. IMO it's where they're most dissimilar actually.

DC nightlife is good maybe a little bit overrated, but still good. I simply wasn't around back in the day pre-2010 days though.

DC feels like a newer blacker Boston.

The population size, density, education, white-collar nature, is just that similar. The biggest difference is DC grid system, military/veterans presence, lack of ethnic neighborhoods and neighborhood tribalism, and brunch/nightlife culture.

On a metro level it gives me sunbelt/ATL vibes.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-08-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 09:31 AM

37,893 posts, read 42,008,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC definitely does not have lackluster night life, it's a level or two above Boston. From 2001-2010, DC had the best Black nightlife in the country by most measures.

Most cities on the East Coast couldn't match up with the Dream/Love, H20, Ibiza, Park on 14th, DC Live, U Street era in DC. Buses would drive down from Philly all the time to the club scene in DC.
And of course, that was during Atlanta's heyday years for Black nightlife also in the post-Freaknik/post-Olympics era. Buckhead Village used to be quite the experience, and last call used to be later also.

That decade was the best for nightlife period, when social media was a thing but not so all-consuming that it prevented people from interacting in person and when all of the best spots hadn't been bulldozed for new apartments and condos. And Black folks were feeling extra happy after November '08 lol.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And of course, that was during Atlanta's heyday years for Black nightlife also in the post-Freaknik/post-Olympics era. Buckhead Village used to be quite the experience, and last call used to be later also.

That decade was the best for nightlife period, when social media was a thing but not so all-consuming that it prevented people from interacting in person and when all of the best spots hadn't been bulldozed for new apartments and condos. And Black folks were feeling extra happy after November '08 lol.
Social media makes personal interaction noticeably worse every 6 motnhs. Feels like we live in the Twilight zone at this point.

Everything makes everyone uncomfortable in some way...

Old 02-08-2021, 09:58 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,885,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Baltimore Blacks sound closer to Philly/Del/ South Jersey than anywhere in the South, (save for the "tew" "yew" and "dug". They do not sound like they're from Alabama.

Blacks in DC also aren't Southern in their speech. It's a distinct accent which his heavy on the rhotic "err", but the accent is not country, like the Midwest or South. They don't sound northern or southern, just distinct. Blacks in DC don't say "awww" for "all", or "deedie" for "Daddy" like Ohio or Chicago Blacks do.

Chicago Blacks talk southern.
Baltimore Blacks do not sound like Philly at all (and definitely not NYC). Both Baltimore and DC blacks have a Southern Dialect/Twang....although you are right, it's unique.

People in the South don't have their same twang ("tew," "curry," "dug," etc.....are all southern dialects that you will only hear in Baltimore or DC).

Old 02-08-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Baltimore Blacks do not sound like Philly at all (and definitely not NYC). Both Baltimore and DC blacks have a Southern Dialect/Twang....although you are right, it's unique.

People in the South don't have their same twang ("tew," "curry," "dug," etc.....are all southern dialects that you will only hear in Baltimore or DC).
On a yeoman level, they both have that distinctly flat tone, mumbly diction, and say "aigs"

Philly isn't that too far off from the Baltimore sound with the exception of the words Avenue (Avinoo) and Eric (Urric) lol

Old 02-08-2021, 10:04 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,885,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
+1 .

And to boot, both cities have lackluster night life
It could depend on race though (in terms of what you prefer). I am white, and have found that DC nightlife offers a great balance of different things to do. Similar to Chicago. Although Chicago (probably similar to Boston), also offers more low-key, local neighborhood bars and nightlife spots once you get outside of downtown.

For African Americans, I would think DC offers probably one of the best nightlife experiences, with only Atlanta likely rivaling it. I would assume it would easily beat out Boston from an African American perspective.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It could depend on race though (in terms of what you prefer). I am white, and have found that DC nightlife offers a great balance of different things to do. Similar to Chicago. Although Chicago (probably similar to Boston), also offers more low-key, local neighborhood bars and nightlife spots once you get outside of downtown.

For African Americans, I would think DC offers probably one of the best nightlife experiences, with only Atlanta likely rivaling it. I would assume it would easily beat out Boston from an African American perspective.
NYC and Houston might rival DC and Atlanta for black nightlife.

I don't think people of any race really "like" Boston's nightlife to be perfectly honest. You hear complaints across the board. Maybe more so amongst the white community actually since they make up the bulk of the 18-29 years olds in the city.

As far as I can tell the white nightlife in Boston is basically only bars (with music and TVS) and some live music. Even the larger venues are ultimately just restaurants with music and views. Think Marvins but white and with quieter music and no dancing. This appeals to some white people but not enough to change its reputation as somewhat dead. The venues tend to be bland too not as decorative as an "El Rey"

There are many lowkey neighborhood-oriented places but in the white community that basically transplants. Many classic Boston watering holes closed in the 2000s and 2010s. There are a few gay bars in Dorchester (DBar, Banshee) that I think cater to gay white men-ive never been.

Black nightlife in Boston offers nothing particularly professional or upscale for the under 35 crowd. Theres 3/4 for themore sophisticated 35+ crowd (FHBG, District 7, Slades, Darryls, Wallys) There are some clubs downtown but its just really rowdy and unrefined compared to DC, it's also more located downtown and not a desirable residential area like U street. Obviously there's a heavy influence on Caribbean music. I wish Bosotn had more options but the music/dancing in Boston is better because the music is Caribbean and there is much less pretense than places with many more upscale locations in Black DC. (Yes im aware Power exists, ust speaking generally)

Some formerly townie/Irish establishments in Dorchester/Hyde Park are now uniformly black working-class crowds (e.g. Dublin House in Uphams Corner-very very black). In addition to this a few black watering holes have opened or are opening up but they close at 10pm or 12am...You certainly don't have the options of DC and much more stuff is done in backyards and triple-deckers..

Old 02-08-2021, 12:15 PM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Quote:

Agreed.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:32 PM

918 posts, read 565,477 times
Boston at least used to be . . . a relief for people who don't want "nightlife" to be the center of young adulthood.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:46 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,059,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't think people of any race really "like" Boston's nightlife to be perfectly honest.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Boston at least used to be . . . a relief for people who don't want "nightlife" to be the center of young adulthood.
When? To hear my parents tell it, Boston was pretty crazy back in the day when the Combat Zone still had strip clubs, when Kenmore Square still had hardcore rock clubs, when gay clubs/bars like Machine and Ramrod were more prevalent and active, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City