Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arizona v. Virginia
Arizona 35 41.18%
Virginia 50 58.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 10:05 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times

Advertisements

Virginia will win most of these categories. But some of these are entirely up to preference, like climate. And the decision between them will ultimately lay on which of these various categories you prioritize.

Despite Arizona not winning most categories, I think I would prefer living here, due to COL being one of my highest criteria. The part I would live in in Virginia, NoVa, is very expensive.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 02-06-2021 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 12:17 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Virginia will win most of these categories. But some of these are entirely up to preference, like climate. And the decision between them will ultimately lay on which of these various categories you prioritize.

Despite Arizona not winning most categories, I think I would prefer living here, due to COL being one of my highest criteria. The part I would live in in Virginia, NoVa, is very expensive.
Scottsdale is about on par with NOVA in terms of cost.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:43 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Not exactly:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
And for rents (average):

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...az/scottsdale/

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren.../va/arlington/

Scottsdale - $1,606
Arlington - $1,996

Last edited by Yac; 02-09-2021 at 11:53 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 08:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
QOL: Arizona (I value access to extensive outdoor variety such as mountains)
COL: Arizona
Public Transit: Arlington (due to DC connection)>Phoenix>Rest of Virginia (Norfolk/Richmond/Roanoke)
Universities: Virginia
Economy: Arizona for me
Wealth: Probably Virginia
Character: Arizona
Politics: Arizona for me
Suburbs: Arizona
Schools: Virginia
Urban Cores: Arizona
Diversity: Arizona (I value Hispanic diversity)
Climate: Arizona by a longshot for me
Shopping: Arizona
Food: Arizona
Road Network/Traffic: Arizona
Sports: Arizona
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches: Arizona
Economic Future: Arizona, faster growing
Job/Housing Market: Arizona
Nightlife/Entertainment: Scottsdale>Virginia
History/Museums: Arizona for me

Overall: Arizona by a lot for me.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Not exactly:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
And for rents (average):

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren...az/scottsdale/

https://www.rentcafe.com/average-ren.../va/arlington/

Scottsdale - $1,606
Arlington - $1,996
Yeah this isn't even close. I was in the running for a job in NoVa a couple months ago and I was looking at rentals in Loudon County (I might've spelled it wrong) in the exurbs, you can see my thread in the Northern Virginia subforum. Still more expensive than here, and that was the *outskirts* not even in the core of the DC metro region. Now don't get me wrong, Scottsdale can get expensive for the wages here, but that depends on new or old construction, and if you are in South Scottsdale, in the heart of Old Town, Kierland, or in Timbuktu near Rio Verde. Even in the most expensive parts of Scottsdale, they might be comparable for new and luxury, but then that is the most expensive place you can get. Everything else will be more affordable.

You can also live somewhere that isn't Scottsdale and get even cheaper. Like Mesa or Tempe just down the road.

Last edited by Yac; 02-09-2021 at 11:53 PM..

Old 02-09-2021, 05:21 AM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
Sedona is nicer than Scottsdale IMO. At least if you are looking for the perfect balance of quaint, scenic, resort. I will say nothing in Virginia can compare with Sedona, Arizona.

Although Scottsdale is very nice.

Scottsdale is known as a resort area. In some ways it is similar to Palm Springs, CA, except it is part of the Phoenix metro, whereas Palm Springs, is really quite removed from LA and on the fringe of the Inland Empire.

Many of Scottsdale's most wealthy residents, do not reside in Scottsdale full time, but have their 2nd/3rd/4th vacation home located there. (Many from the Northeast).

As shocking as it sounds, a lot of people really dislike that Southeast Humidity and prefer the dry desert heat in terms of locations they desire to have vacation homes.

Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon. Are really some of the most beautiful areas of the USA.

I think when most people think of Arizona, they only picture its desert climate which Phoenix is known for.

But Northern Arizona, in many ways resembles Colorado with a predominance of Evergreen trees, Mountainous Terrain, and lots of snow.

Both AZ and VA are actually very similar though in many other ways on paper.

Nearly the same population, and GDP.

Both are different mainly from a historic vantage point. (Not going to find that really in AZ). Which gives VA a leg up if you like that East Coast Colonial history.

Metro Phoenix is significantly larger than the Virginia portion of the DC metro though.

I vote Arizona. It has more variety in its terrain, it has a unique and diverse culture and it really stands out to me more. The Phoenix metro is also larger than NOVA and offers more.

I also prefer SOCAL beaches over North Carolina beaches. And most people from Virginia travel to North Carolina for beach life.

Last edited by Penna76; 02-09-2021 at 05:40 AM..

Old 02-09-2021, 07:22 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
QOL: Arizona
COL: Arizona
Public Transit: Virginia, DC suburbs
Universities: Virginia
Economy: Virginia barely
Wealth: Virginia
Character: Arizona
Politics: Arizona
Suburbs: Arizona
Schools: Virginia
Urban Cores: Arizona
Diversity: Arizona
Climate: Arizona
Shopping: Arizona
Food: Arizona
Road Network/Traffic: Virginia
Sports: Arizona
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches: Arizona
Economic Future: Tie, edge to Virginia
Job/Housing Market: Virginia
Nightlife/Entertainment: Virginia DC suburbs
History/Museums: Virginia DC suburbs

For me, Arizona wins it by a close one. Virginia is a great state by the coastal areas and in the DC suburbs. Also, Charlottesville and Roanoke are in beautiful areas.

But Arizona is stunning geographically and the climate is much better for me.

Southwest Virginia drags that whole western part of the state down, and it pushes Arizona to the top.

Both states have bright futures.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Sedona is nicer than Scottsdale IMO. At least if you are looking for the perfect balance of quaint, scenic, resort. I will say nothing in Virginia can compare with Sedona, Arizona.

Although Scottsdale is very nice.

Scottsdale is known as a resort area. In some ways it is similar to Palm Springs, CA, except it is part of the Phoenix metro, whereas Palm Springs, is really quite removed from LA and on the fringe of the Inland Empire.

Many of Scottsdale's most wealthy residents, do not reside in Scottsdale full time, but have their 2nd/3rd/4th vacation home located there. (Many from the Northeast).

As shocking as it sounds, a lot of people really dislike that Southeast Humidity and prefer the dry desert heat in terms of locations they desire to have vacation homes.

Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon. Are really some of the most beautiful areas of the USA.

I think when most people think of Arizona, they only picture its desert climate which Phoenix is known for.

But Northern Arizona, in many ways resembles Colorado with a predominance of Evergreen trees, Mountainous Terrain, and lots of snow.

Both AZ and VA are actually very similar though in many other ways on paper.

Nearly the same population, and GDP.

Both are different mainly from a historic vantage point. (Not going to find that really in AZ). Which gives VA a leg up if you like that East Coast Colonial history.

Metro Phoenix is significantly larger than the Virginia portion of the DC metro though.

I vote Arizona. It has more variety in its terrain, it has a unique and diverse culture and it really stands out to me more. The Phoenix metro is also larger than NOVA and offers more.

I also prefer SOCAL beaches over North Carolina beaches. And most people from Virginia travel to North Carolina for beach life.
Scottsdale is not a resort area. It never has been. It’s a wealthy suburb of a major city, akin to Plano for Dallas. I’m sick of outsiders and transplants trying to define what we are and what we offer. Scottsdale might have a couple nice hotels, sure, that doesn’t mean it’s a resort area. Scottsdale, like 99% of cities in Arizona, have more full-time populations than the other way around. While we sit around 4.5 MILLION full-time residential people in the summer, we add approximately 500,000 or so snowbirds everywhere. That is significant, but I believe that is the statewide statistic, not just Phoenix metro. This is why our average age across the cities in the Phoenix metro is 21, not 40+ like certain cities in Florida.

Arizona is over 3/4 desert or so and has ALL BUT ONE deserts that exist on the North American continent. Picturing a desert for Arizona should be expected, not our Colorado-lite areas. To assume all of our deserts have saguaros on the other hand is an ignorant depiction of the varying deserts we offer. Most of northern Arizona is a desert, the Great Basin in fact, with the Painted Desert and the Grand Canyon falling in that. But it’s also ignorant to assume we are entirely desert. We are the 2nd most ecologically varied state in the Union, behind California, and we should be treated as such.

Nonetheless, Arizona is underrated as a whole.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:44 PM

157 posts, read 137,402 times
Arizona has strong artistic roots and that is attractive from a cultural standpoint. The mountains being right up to the city is also unique for Phoenix that other major cities don't have.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:00 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Scottsdale is not a resort area. It never has been. It’s a wealthy suburb of a major city, akin to Plano for Dallas. I’m sick of outsiders and transplants trying to define what we are and what we offer. Scottsdale might have a couple nice hotels, sure, that doesn’t mean it’s a resort area. Scottsdale, like 99% of cities in Arizona, have more full-time populations than the other way around. While we sit around 4.5 MILLION full-time residential people in the summer, we add approximately 500,000 or so snowbirds everywhere. That is significant, but I believe that is the statewide statistic, not just Phoenix metro. This is why our average age across the cities in the Phoenix metro is 21, not 40+ like certain cities in Florida.
You would describe a city that includes these resorts (Four Seasons, The Phoenician, Fairmont, Westin Kierland, Hyatt Regency, Boulders Resort, Andaz, the W, and myriad of other hotels) as having just a couple of nice hotels? That's really minimizing what Scottsdale has to offer. Lets not sell it short here, downtown Scottsdale does have a heavy tourist draw. I've been all over Scottsdale and North Scottsdale and will agree most of the residential areas very much function as an upscale suburb and is well integrated into urban/surburban the fabric of the valley. Valley residents most likely won't be staying at these resorts and upscale hotels, but nonetheless Scottsdale is well known for being one of the premier resort destinations in the West. Albeit within a very large suburban city, but it's really not like Plano. Tourists don't go to Plano.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-11-2021 at 06:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City