Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Oklahoma or Mississippi
I'd Prefer Mississippi 22 18.33%
I'd Prefer Oklahoma 57 47.50%
I'd Prefer Neither 37 30.83%
I'd Prefer Both 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 09:14 PM

9,738 posts, read 9,524,089 times

Advertisements

Most going on for it? OK due to having a better economy.
Better long term or short term future? Long term may go to MS because of location and affordability. Short term
State with best Scenery and Topography? MS
Oklahoma City or Jackson? No comparison, OK
Tulsa or Jackson? No comparison, OK
Better Secondary Cities MS due to having more independent cities and more interesting history
State you Personally Prefer?
I voted prefer neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:32 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,229,663 times
Most going on for it? Oklahoma
Better long term or short term future? Oklahoma for both
State with best Scenery and Topography? Oklahoma for its variety (Plains in the west, Ouachitas in the east); Mississippi for its coastal location and greenery
Oklahoma City or Jackson? OKC is a far larger city and has a lot more going for itself than Jackson, which is like a smaller Memphis without any of Memphis's positive attributes. I'm from Jackson, so I said what I said...
Tulsa or Jackson? Tulsa. All that old oil money gave the city beautiful homes and cultural institutions that pack a punch for a city of its size.
Better Secondary Cities - Mississippi. You have Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Tupelo, Meridian, etc. Oklahoma's secondary cities seem smaller and most people seem to live in and around OKC or Tulsa.
State you Personally Prefer? Neither

Old 03-04-2021, 12:45 PM

402 posts, read 269,423 times
Oklahoma has a better economy (MHI of $54,449 VS $45,792) and weather (less humid and more bearable summers).

Old 03-04-2021, 07:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,471,611 times
I prefer Oklahoma.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:13 PM

136 posts, read 119,181 times
OKC and Tulsa have more to offer than any MS city. The MS gulf coast has neat places and is close to New Orleans, and I suppose you could live in “Memphis†by living in a southern suburb of the city, but both Memphis and NOLA aren’t in MS.

And although few brag about Oklahoma’s scenery, it does have more variety than MS.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:47 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,136,701 times
Oklahoma for a better QOL, but dear lord is it so much more boring and isolated than Mississippi.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:20 PM

3,208 posts, read 2,252,657 times
Mississippi has better winter weather than Oklahoma and more consistently lush greenery. The Natchez Trace Parkway is a beautiful route to explore the Deep South and the state has a heritage to be proud of in music, literature, civil rights, and more.

Unfortunately the state still has very weak economic fundamentals, which are connected with the state's lack of any major metro areas (Memphis aside - where the more affluent communities are mostly in TN). There has been virtually zero population growth since 2000, compared to a 5.5% gain in Oklahoma which is close to the national average. Mississippi ranks last nationally on income measures, ahead of only West Virginia for its share of college graduates, and has a very limited presence of foreign and out of region migrants compared to almost anywhere else in the South.

Oklahoma doesn't really excel on such dimensions either - but it is consistently more prosperous than Mississippi. It helps having two moderate to large metro areas with decent amenities and, although a bit heavy on the energy sector, fairly well rounded economies.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:53 PM

17,923 posts, read 13,870,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I arbitrarily searched for Vietnamese in both cities, got ~15 results in OKC and 4 in Jackson.
Just as an aside. OKC has a relatively significant Vietnamese population because in 1975 after the fall of Saigon...the government put the Vietnamese refugees in Ft. Chaffee, AR. When they let them leave Ft. Chaffee, for whatever reason, a pretty significant number settled in OKC. I assume because it was relatively close to Ft. Chaffee. So in literally days OKC had several thousand Vietnamese. They collectively settled in a specific part of OKC that is known as the "Asian district" but before PC was knows as "Little Saigon".

As far as Oklahoma and Mississippi go, the one thing I think separates the two is that Oklahoma doesn't have anything like the Delta which statistically drags Mississippi down. Oklahoma has a few areas like that but they are relatively small and not highly populated.

I once heard Oklahoma as being criticized as "having all the problems of the deep south without having the charm." And I don't think that is an unfair assessment. However, we (Oklahoma) don't have the struggles of the more impoverished rual parts of the deep south to the degree that those states do.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:43 PM

6,450 posts, read 5,119,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Just as an aside. OKC has a relatively significant Vietnamese population because in 1975 after the fall of Saigon...the government put the Vietnamese refugees in Ft. Chaffee, AR. When they let them leave Ft. Chaffee, for whatever reason, a pretty significant number settled in OKC. I assume because it was relatively close to Ft. Chaffee. So in literally days OKC had several thousand Vietnamese. They collectively settled in a specific part of OKC that is known as the "Asian district" but before PC was knows as "Little Saigon".
Interesting. Yeah I know certain towns in the Midwest and Great Plains have unexpectedly large (often Asian) immigrant populations for that reason.

At any rate, I tried again with "Indian food" and got ~20 results in OKC and only 6 in Jackson.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:11 PM

3,208 posts, read 2,252,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Interesting. Yeah I know certain towns in the Midwest and Great Plains have unexpectedly large (often Asian) immigrant populations for that reason.

At any rate, I tried again with "Indian food" and got ~20 results in OKC and only 6 in Jackson.
In MS, the Biloxi/Gulfport area probably has more Vietnamese establishments than Jackson. It is among several areas on the Gulf Coast with significant Vietnamese communities, often involved in the seafood industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City