Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Oklahoma or Mississippi
I'd Prefer Mississippi 22 18.33%
I'd Prefer Oklahoma 57 47.50%
I'd Prefer Neither 37 30.83%
I'd Prefer Both 4 3.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 06:45 PM

828 posts, read 652,323 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma crushes Mississippi across the board except possibly scenery (although OK is less bad than people think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 01:43 AM

580 posts, read 568,960 times
As for Oklahoma, I love the urban neighborhood work being done in Oklahoma City - and the beauty of Tulsa's oil-rich historic residential areas and rolling hills.

For Mississippi, the best features are charm, lush greenery, and location. The HGTV show Home Town is set in Laurel, Mississippi and captures Mississippi nicely. Elegant homes, massive oaks and lush green lawns, cute Main Streets, proximity to nature, and easy drives to New Orleans, the Coast, Florida, Memphis, Oxford and Starkville, and an oh-so charming culture.....

There's something about the culture. ESPN analysts regularly characterize Mississippi State fans as by far the most polite, kind, and genuine in all of college sports. A visit to a baseball game at lovely Dudy Noble Field in Starkville is a case in point. Ole Miss is characterized for its fashionably-dressed social scene and elegant atmosphere. The Coast is probably accurately represented by local boys Bret Favre and Jimmy Buffet...casual, free-wheeling, and fun loving. And now they have Coach Prime at Jackson State bringing national attention to the rich athletic history of Mississippi's HBCU schools.

All of those in combination seem to capture Mississippi pretty well. There is no point in comparing it to Oklahoma with its oil money and large cities. But Mississippi in its own right is charming and very much its own thing.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:36 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,612,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
As for Oklahoma, I love the urban neighborhood work being done in Oklahoma City - and the beauty of Tulsa's oil-rich historic residential areas and rolling hills.

For Mississippi, the best features are charm, lush greenery, and location. The HGTV show Home Town is set in Laurel, Mississippi and captures Mississippi nicely. Elegant homes, massive oaks and lush green lawns, cute Main Streets, proximity to nature, and easy drives to New Orleans, the Coast, Florida, Memphis, Oxford and Starkville, and an oh-so charming culture.....

There's something about the culture. ESPN analysts regularly characterize Mississippi State fans as by far the most polite, kind, and genuine in all of college sports. A visit to a baseball game at lovely Dudy Noble Field in Starkville is a case in point. Ole Miss is characterized for its fashionably-dressed social scene and elegant atmosphere. The Coast is probably accurately represented by local boys Bret Favre and Jimmy Buffet...casual, free-wheeling, and fun loving. And now they have Coach Prime at Jackson State bringing national attention to the rich athletic history of Mississippi's HBCU schools.

All of those in combination seem to capture Mississippi pretty well. There is no point in comparing it to Oklahoma with its oil money and large cities. But Mississippi in its own right is charming and very much its own thing.
I was watching Home Town the other night and was thinking that it looked nice. Really cheap houses and very green.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:46 AM

33 posts, read 23,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In Oklahoma, you just need to be very, very careful about where you live, since like in Mississippi there isn't very many good places to live in. Rural Oklahoma generally sucks pretty damned bad as a place to live. The people who live there are quite strongly against legalized marijuana in any form, against any more Medicaid as well as social justice reform. On the other hand, the suburbs of metro Oklahoma aren't too bad at all. For instance, Edmond, located just north of Oklahoma City, is rated 92 for livability. Life doesn't get any better rated than that in Oklahoma.
Not true at all about rural Okies and medical cannabis. Every small town has at least one dispensary and almost every relative and friends I have in rural OK have medical cards.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:12 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,677,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahmeanyaheard View Post
Not true at all about rural Okies and medical cannabis. Every small town has at least one dispensary and almost every relative and friends I have in rural OK have medical cards.
It's a matter of fact that most of the rural counties in the western half of Oklahoma soundly rejected legal medical marijuana. The eastern half of the state was a mixed bag. It required the big urban vote to carry the day. Rural legislators failed to change the decision to county option. By now, I think rural Oklahomans have come to conclude that the sky won't fall just because a medical marijuana dispensary opened up in town.

Old 07-14-2021, 12:22 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,366,633 times
Oklahoma due to two cities of some size and it borders Texas where many Oklahomans go for post college living lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City