Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most comparable to Charlotte?
Atlanta 40 36.04%
Dallas 8 7.21%
Houston 0 0%
Nashville 28 25.23%
Raleigh 28 25.23%
None/Another City 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 09:47 AM

23,592 posts, read 24,124,772 times

Advertisements

Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 09:47 AM

148 posts, read 120,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Now you know how we feel over in Atlanta. It’s so annoying.. like Chawlit stop calling your “little ___” for relevance. Just grow and form your own thing lol.

In some ways Charlotte has surpassed Atlanta. I don't think anyone is Charlotte is really striving to be like Atlanta at this point. It's mostly outsiders people who have moved there that have sold themselves on Charlotte as the new or alternative to Atlanta.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:20 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Now you know how we feel over in Atlanta. It’s so annoying.. like Chawlit stop calling your “little ___” for relevance. Just grow and form your own thing lol.
Huh? Charlotte has been very successful as a city, even outperforming Atlanta in a few instances. But let's not confuse C-D spats with what happens in real life or act as though cities are actual persons. And let's not also act like there hasn't been a bit of hand-wringing in Atlanta in recent years when it comes to the smaller boomtowns like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, etc. stealing a bit of its thunder.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:53 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,755,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Huh? Charlotte has been very successful as a city, even outperforming Atlanta in a few instances. But let's not confuse C-D spats with what happens in real life or act as though cities are actual persons. And let's not also act like there hasn't been a bit of hand-wringing in Atlanta in recent years when it comes to the smaller boomtowns like Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, etc. stealing a bit of its thunder.
I can't speak for everyone, but besides instances when Atlanta jobs are moved to smaller cities, I don't find other growing cities in the south to be an issue. The more growth the south has, the more destinations we'll have to travel to. We'll also likely receive more visitors also and it could drive demand for better transportation options in the south. Growth in the south as a whole will benefit Atlanta.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:11 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but besides instances when Atlanta jobs are moved to smaller cities, I don't find other growing cities in the south to be an issue. The more growth the south has, the more destinations we'll have to travel to. We'll also likely receive more visitors also and it could drive demand for better transportation options in the south. Growth in the south as a whole will benefit Atlanta.
Absolutely, but it definitely required an adjustment on Atlanta's part to the new reality of no longer being the only real player in the game in the Southeast. In particular, the recession really shook things up and it took Atlanta a bit longer to come out of that funk. Fast-forward to today and I don't think anyone could have foreseen the national "racial reckoning" that reached a boiling point last year ultimately benefitting Atlanta in major ways, but it all came back to its unique set of strengths that it has always successfully capitalized on that was responsible for its impending comeback.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:05 PM

828 posts, read 652,549 times
Mix of Dallas and Atlanta. I, by and large, do not agree with the Nashville comparisons; very different history, downtown feel, prominent industries, etc.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,999,360 times
I voted Atlanta. Not being from either one, they look a lot alike to me and I think that the average person in each metro lives in a similar looking home, in a very similar looking neighborhood, with similar amenities.

I think that the same could pd be said for Charlotte and Raleigh and for me it's only the polycentric nature of the Triangle that keeps me from picking that first.

I get the comparisons to Nashville, but I think that Nashville is more entertainment oriented and maybe more rural than Charlotte.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:43 PM

393 posts, read 263,591 times
Very close race between Nashville, Raleigh, and Atlanta.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:47 PM

9,693 posts, read 9,435,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I voted Atlanta. Not being from either one, they look a lot alike to me and I think that the average person in each metro lives in a similar looking home, in a very similar looking neighborhood, with similar amenities.

I think that the same could pd be said for Charlotte and Raleigh and for me it's only the polycentric nature of the Triangle that keeps me from picking that first.

I get the comparisons to Nashville, but I think that Nashville is more entertainment oriented and maybe more rural than Charlotte.
Not more rural though lol. I think Charlotte and Atlanta are also closer in culture. I don't get the same vibe from Nashville.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:21 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,999,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Not more rural though lol. I think Charlotte and Atlanta are also closer in culture. I don't get the same vibe from Nashville.
Ok. I added “maybe more rural” because it only has 1,300 people per square mile in city limits. That’s pretty rural to me. Charlotte has 200,000 more people in 200 square miles less. It has to feel a bit different for the average person. Honestly they all feel somewhat rural outside of a few areas by LA standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City