Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most comparable to Charlotte?
Atlanta 40 36.04%
Dallas 8 7.21%
Houston 0 0%
Nashville 28 25.23%
Raleigh 28 25.23%
None/Another City 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 02:27 PM

232 posts, read 189,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Seems like Charlotte just tapers off into extreme suburbia much quicker than Orlando does, and perhaps leads to the feeling I'm getting here.

Aerial views from Googlemaps appear to indicate that as well:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2295.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5433.../data=!3m1!1e3

I'll drive around some more while I'm here and see if my perspective changes.

There also seems to be a notable lack of outdoor activity (outdoor dining, people biking/rollerblading, etc.)

If anyone here knows of some areas (outside of Downtown/Uptown and South End) that I should check out that might steer my viewpoint, feel free to share. Beautiful city -- just feels small.
I've lived in Atlanta and Orlando, and now Charlotte. First, I think you take into consideration that we are still in a pandemic and the urban core of CLT has been greatly affected since I moved here. Second, Orlando does seem more vibrant, at least when on the the highways, but in the neighborhoods not so much. And Disney, etc. is the reason--much like Las Vegas seems much more vibrant to cities many times its size. I think this (like your arial photos) has somewhat to do with Chalotte's massive tree cover, there are houses under those trees. Atlanta is the same, but not to the same degree.

Atlanta was an ok place to live. Orlando, at least to me was....pretty boring (looks of vibrancy can be deceiving). Charlotte is certainly not as big and bustling as Atlanta, but, IMO, its a much nicer place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 08:04 PM

215 posts, read 211,314 times
Charlotte most resembles Tulsa or a slightly bigger Kansas City,MO.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:00 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
I've lived in Atlanta and Orlando, and now Charlotte. First, I think you take into consideration that we are still in a pandemic and the urban core of CLT has been greatly affected since I moved here. Second, Orlando does seem more vibrant, at least when on the the highways, but in the neighborhoods not so much. And Disney, etc. is the reason--much like Las Vegas seems much more vibrant to cities many times its size. I think this (like your arial photos) has somewhat to do with Chalotte's massive tree cover, there are houses under those trees. Atlanta is the same, but not to the same degree.

Atlanta was an ok place to live. Orlando, at least to me was....pretty boring (looks of vibrancy can be deceiving). Charlotte is certainly not as big and bustling as Atlanta, but, IMO, its a much nicer place to live.
Highly disagree on Orlando. I was referring to areas AWAY from Disney, such as its downtown neighborhoods and surroundings (Audubon, Winter Park, etc.) Charlotte doesn’t seem to have any comparable areas.

Anyway, I’ll do more exploring next time I go to Charlotte.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:29 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,561,709 times
Quote:

How was Orlando boring? The beaches in the metro, City Walk, etc.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:45 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:

I agree. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. On paper Orlando and Charlotte compare but that is about it. Charlotte is more vibrant, cleaner, safer feeling and not much riff raff in the adjacent neighborhoods. Charlotte owns the fact that it is not an exciting place whereas Orlando tries hard not to be.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 PM

232 posts, read 189,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
How was Orlando boring? The beaches in the metro, City Walk, etc.
Maybe it was because of my lifestyle. To me, at least, Orlando felt no different from most sunbelt cities; monotonous, uninteresting sprawl. Though Charlotte and Atlanta are also guilty of this they both strong, decently urban CBD's, something I thought Orlando was lacking in. Yes, the neighboorhoods around downtown MCO are beautiful, but I just did not get an urban vibe from it. Maybe things have changed since I've been downtown 3 years ago.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:08 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. On paper Orlando and Charlotte compare but that is about it. Charlotte is more vibrant, cleaner, safer feeling and not much riff raff in the adjacent neighborhoods. Charlotte owns the fact that it is not an exciting place whereas Orlando tries hard not to be.
On the contrary. Charlotte very much wants people to know that it's "got a lot."

Old 03-29-2021, 10:51 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
On the contrary. Charlotte very much wants people to know that it's "got a lot."
You proved my point. Nothing about the marketing campaign screams excitement to young people.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You proved my point. Nothing about the marketing campaign screams excitement to young people.
Well it's not aimed only to young people but they are included as part of the target audience. The point is a city doesn't create a tourism/PR campaign based on all the things it has to do and see if it is content with being perceived as a non-exciting place.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:15 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
Charlotte seems like a smaller-scale version of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City