Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh: is more northeastern, midwestern, or appalachian?
Midwestern 5 6.02%
Northeastern 29 34.94%
Appalachian 17 20.48%
Roughly equal parts of all three 32 38.55%
None of the above 0 0%
Not sure/can't tell 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 02:49 PM

870 posts, read 1,570,060 times

Advertisements

Many of the cities, towns, and even rural areas throughout eastern Ohio, northern West Virginia, and southwestern Pennsylvania look very similar but at the same time very difficult to characterize. It's indeed a unique region of the country. There's nothing quite like it.

Old 04-04-2021, 02:59 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I gotta say you must come from or live in a very sheltered place if Troy Hill and Bloomfield look "ghetto" to you.
I get Baltimore vibes if it were hilly and closer to Appalachia. Gritty yes, urban of course, ghetto is a stretch...

Old 04-04-2021, 04:11 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I gotta say you must come from or live in a very sheltered place if Troy Hill and Bloomfield look "ghetto" to you.
First of all I said "borderline" ghetto. Second, maybe you come from a dystopian hellscape if those clapped-out looking neighborhoods seem nice and tidy to you.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:25 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Interior Northeastern...

Old 04-04-2021, 05:32 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The only notable similarities I noticed between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are the hilly topography and Cincinnati had some rowhouse neighborhoods near the city core. But their rowhouse architecture isn't nearly as extensive as it is in Pittsburgh. And Cincinnati is an outlier by Midwest city standards so I don't really see how any similarities between it and Pittsburgh gives Pittsburgh any kind of Midwest feel. Most Midwest are flat, laid out in a grid pattern, and the residential architecture is predominantly detached structures (albeit sometimes in vertical two- and three-flats closer to their urban cores) with much more setback from the street than you typically see in Pittsburgh.
I was referring more than just architecture and physical layout. Culturally, Pitt is much more like the Midwest than it is the Northeast.

Also, the Midwest is not just flat corn fields in Iowa. The UP and northern Minn/Wisc. are both Midwestern, as are the southern sections of Ohio/IN/IL. There are plenty of "hilly" Midwestern cities and areas.

Last edited by CCrest182; 04-04-2021 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-04-2021, 05:35 PM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I was referring more than just architecture and physical layout. Culturally, Pitt is much more like the Midwest than it is the Northeast.
Pittsburgh is only more similar to the Midwestern rust belt cities. The rust belt straddles the midwest and northeastern borders. I consider Pittsburgh to be an Appalachian interior northeastern rust belt city.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Pittsburgh is only more similar to the Midwestern rust belt cities. The rust belt straddles the midwest and northeastern borders. I consider Pittsburgh to be an interior northeastern rust belt city that's also Appalachian.
I would say Midwest, appalachia. I really don't know what "interior northeast" defines, really. Syracuse? Buffalo? I can't say Pittsburgh reminds me of either of those places.

Outside of the fact that the city is located in a northeastern state (and on the far western edge of said state at that)... I'm failing to see where it is all that Northeastern. If nothing else, it's a unique city in a unique region.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:40 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
I guess I could buy that. But in every other sense it felt completely foreign to what I consider "the Midwest."

Old 04-04-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I guess I could buy that. But in every other sense it felt completely foreign to what I consider "the Midwest."
It seems many Northeasterners consider Pittsburgh to feel "Midwestern" and Midwesterns tend to consider Pittsburgh "Northeastern". I think the truth does lie somewhere in the middle.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:49 PM

1,350 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:
I would say Midwest, appalachia. I really don't know what "interior northeast" defines, really. Syracuse? Buffalo? I can't say Pittsburgh reminds me of either of those places.

Outside of the fact that the city is located in a northeastern state (and on the far western edge of said state at that)... I'm failing to see where it is all that Northeastern. If nothing else, it's a unique city in a unique region.
What exactly makes Pittsburgh Midwestern? Only the east coast can be considered northeastern? It's firmly in the northeast geographically and not very similiar to most Midwestern cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.