Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh: is more northeastern, midwestern, or appalachian?
Midwestern 5 6.02%
Northeastern 29 34.94%
Appalachian 17 20.48%
Roughly equal parts of all three 32 38.55%
None of the above 0 0%
Not sure/can't tell 0 0%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 06:08 PM

7,279 posts, read 10,622,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I was referring more than just architecture and physical layout. Culturally, Pitt is much more like the Midwest than it is the Northeast.

Also, the Midwest is not just flat corn fields in Iowa. The UP and northern Minn/Wisc. are both Midwestern, as are the southern sections of Ohio/IN/IL. There are plenty of "hilly" Midwestern cities and areas.
Regardless, flatness tends to very much be the standard for the Midwest. And there's certainly no Midwestern city (except for maybe Duluth) where hilliness is one of its most defining characteristics like Pittsburgh.

I also think culture in Pittsburgh is actually more unique to the region of Western Pennsylvania. It's arguably a distinctive area unto itself. The Pittsburgh accent, for example, is nothing like a stereotypical Midwestern accent.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It is only MW, App or both. It is definitely not a NE city.
There's much more to the Northeast than the Northeast Corridor.

That's a lesson so many folks have yet to grasp.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:15 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,898,342 times
PA is a northeastern state, so Pitt is northeastern. But given its location, it has also has Midwestern and Appalachian influences. The combination gives it a unique culture.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
It seems many Northeasterners consider Pittsburgh to feel "Midwestern" and Midwesterns tend to consider Pittsburgh "Northeastern". I think the truth does lie somewhere in the middle.
The only Northeasterners who consider Pittsburgh to be in the Midwest tend to be NYC tri-staters or some New Englanders.

Fact of the matter is they really don't have a concept of culture/geography outside of the Northeast Corridor bubble. Trust me, I witness it on a daily basis.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:35 PM

14,040 posts, read 15,070,876 times
Its regional cuisine of throw crap on top of stuff (Cincinnati Chili, Rochester Garbage Plate, Pittsburgh french fries on everything) tells me its midwest.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:10 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
I would say Midwest, appalachia. I really don't know what "interior northeast" defines, really. Syracuse? Buffalo? I can't say Pittsburgh reminds me of either of those places.

Outside of the fact that the city is located in a northeastern state (and on the far western edge of said state at that)... I'm failing to see where it is all that Northeastern. If nothing else, it's a unique city in a unique region.
Yes...It just illustrates the variation in the region and it isn’t too dissimilar from other cities in that part of the Northeast in terms of topography, blue collar vibe/history, etc.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:16 PM

3,175 posts, read 2,227,177 times
Most Midwest cities are laid out on a grid that is easy to navigate. Pittsburgh is completely different, with a very complex road system that offers fascinating sights but is difficult for unfamiliar visitors. Of course the layout is very much a product of the local terrain with rivers and steep hills, but the latter feature is very uncharacteristic of most of the Midwest urban centers. Cincinnati is the closest match for Pittsburgh but the hills aren't quite as steep and the layout is more orderly.

Just because Pittsburgh tends to operate at a slower pace than the DC-to-Boston megalopolis doesn't mean it belongs in the Midwest. It is more comparable to other places in the interior Northeast, and it would make no sense to classify Albany (for instance) as Midwest. Yes, Ohio is nearby - but that state itself is transitional and the eastern edge shares more of the Appalachian attributes with southwest Pennsylvania and West Virginia. This poll doesn't have an option to choose both Northeastern and Appalachian, but those two best characterize Pittsburgh.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Most Midwest cities are laid out on a grid that is easy to navigate. Pittsburgh is completely different, with a very complex road system that offers fascinating sights but is difficult for unfamiliar visitors. Of course the layout is very much a product of the local terrain with rivers and steep hills, but the latter feature is very uncharacteristic of most of the Midwest urban centers. Cincinnati is the closest match for Pittsburgh but the hills aren't quite as steep and the layout is more orderly.

Just because Pittsburgh tends to operate at a slower pace than the DC-to-Boston megalopolis doesn't mean it belongs in the Midwest. It is more comparable to other places in the interior Northeast, and it would make no sense to classify Albany (for instance) as Midwest. Yes, Ohio is nearby - but that state itself is transitional and the eastern edge shares more of the Appalachian attributes with southwest Pennsylvania and West Virginia. This poll doesn't have an option to choose both Northeastern and Appalachian, but those two best characterize Pittsburgh.
Very good, objective overview. I agree entirely.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:58 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,076,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
The state that it's in is Northeastern. The topographical region is Appalachian. The culture is an overlap of Midwest/Rustbelt and Appalachian outskirts. It's at the confluence of three rivers and three regions. Too much overlap to define as an entity of just one region.
^ This

Old 04-04-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Its regional cuisine of throw crap on top of stuff (Cincinnati Chili, Rochester Garbage Plate, Pittsburgh french fries on everything) tells me its midwest.
Ridiculous/unconventional food concoctions is a very American phenomenon. It has no specific regional attribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.