Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most stressful city to drive in?
Washington DC 12 8.33%
San Francisco 5 3.47%
New York City 48 33.33%
Boston 24 16.67%
Los Angeles 26 18.06%
Atlanta 15 10.42%
Seattle 2 1.39%
Chicago 4 2.78%
Philadelphia 2 1.39%
Houston 6 4.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 11:33 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times

Advertisements

Haven't driven everywhere but this cities are on the top of my list.

1. Houston- Most aggressive and dangerous drivers I've ever seen. There's so many avoidable accidents here it's unreal. Very stressful. Also before the pandemic M-F the tolls felt useless. You were literally paying to sit in traffic. Yeah this city is no joke behind the wheel.

2. Miami and the whole state of Florida- Anytime I see Florida plates no matter where I live I stay clear out the way as possible. Don't know what it is about Florida drivers. I think it has something to do with living on a panhandle. I guess. Aggressive bad drivers.

3. Atlanta- Wouldn't say they're the most aggressive but the infrastructure of the freeways/roads cause a lot of congestion. That and the amount of 18-wheelers that would be on the highway in Atlanta could be a bit overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 11:36 AM

157 posts, read 137,599 times
In places like LA and Atlanta people have modern cars. I find poor midsized cities like Birmingham to be scary, people are driving around in cars that should have been decommissioned 30 years ago.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:59 AM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Mine is Atlanta. There’s a lot of pretty stressful places to drive on this list, but Atlanta combines the worst of the worst: an almost unsolvable amount of urban sprawl with no room for more road capacity, a thriving economy, and a population which seems almost neurotically fixated on changing lanes, ALL THE TIME, whether warranted or not, while treating 285 as a NASCAR track. In addition, Atlanta is also the least predictable of commutes: I basically allotted myself 3 hrs to cross Atlanta if, for instance, I headed in in 20 and were to head out on 85N.

A lot of cities hit my bad buttons on an individual level worse than Atlanta, but none hit as many as hard as Atlanta.

Now keep in mind: I have a lot of asterisks and caveats on that one. I grade this as a truck driver, and only on the roads I actually drove, which is by no means all of the roads, road types, or every part of every metro.
I live in Atlanta and there are some aggressive drivers who drive way too fast but it's a breeze for me. NYC is the most stressful for me, they're even more aggressive and rude up there.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
In places like LA and Atlanta people have modern cars. I find poor midsized cities like Birmingham to be scary, people are driving around in cars that should have been decommissioned 30 years ago.

Yea.. some states require yearly inspections to make sure basic things like your brakes and tires are safe to operate the vehicle.

And once inspected, they place a sticker on your windshield with a year expiration date until your next inspection is due.

Im surprised more states do not require this.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:13 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I live in Atlanta and there are some aggressive drivers who drive way too fast but it's a breeze for me. NYC is the most stressful for me, they're even more aggressive and rude up there.
Agree. Lots of traffic (similar to most major metros), but definitely not among the most stressful cities / regions to drive in.

Even though I can handle NYC, I would take driving in Atlanta over NYC 7 days a week, lol.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:22 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Haven't driven everywhere but this cities are on the top of my list.

1. Houston- Most aggressive and dangerous drivers I've ever seen. There's so many avoidable accidents here it's unreal. Very stressful. Also before the pandemic M-F the tolls felt useless. You were literally paying to sit in traffic. Yeah this city is no joke behind the wheel.

2. Miami and the whole state of Florida- Anytime I see Florida plates no matter where I live I stay clear out the way as possible. Don't know what it is about Florida drivers. I think it has something to do with living on a panhandle. I guess. Aggressive bad drivers.

3. Atlanta- Wouldn't say they're the most aggressive but the infrastructure of the freeways/roads cause a lot of congestion. That and the amount of 18-wheelers that would be on the highway in Atlanta could be a bit overwhelming.
Yeah I forgot about Florida. Florida comes with the stigma of having elderly and slow drivers that do 10 MPH under the limit, but I found that NOT to be the case when I drove from Greensboro NC to Orlando FL via I-95. Between Jax and I-4 I had a hell of a time trying not to do 90 and when I wasn't I was frequently getting passed, cut off, merged into.. this was NOT what I expected from FL.

Then you get into Orlando you and have tags from every state in the country bringing their varried driving skillsets with them, add atop half of them don't know where the heck they are or where they are going so you get confusion between tourists and impatient / frustrated locals and it creates a chaotic masterpiece.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:59 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yea.. some states require yearly inspections to make sure basic things like your brakes and tires are safe to operate the vehicle.

And once inspected, they place a sticker on your windshield with a year expiration date until your next inspection is due.

Im surprised more states do not require this.
As a general concept, I agree with you. Unfortunately, though inspections come with their own form of corruption. At least here in Maryland, it seems like the common finding is that your headlights are misaligned, and you have to pay the shop some amount of money to "fix" it before you'll pass the inspection. Fortunately, we only have to get inspected once, when we buy a car (and if it's new, the dealer has already gotten it done for you), so you only have to shell out for the misaligned headlights scam one time.

Old 04-06-2021, 01:03 PM

580 posts, read 513,929 times
Sacramental

Old 04-06-2021, 01:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
As a general concept, I agree with you. Unfortunately, though inspections come with their own form of corruption. At least here in Maryland, it seems like the common finding is that your headlights are misaligned, and you have to pay the shop some amount of money to "fix" it before you'll pass the inspection. Fortunately, we only have to get inspected once, when we buy a car (and if it's new, the dealer has already gotten it done for you), so you only have to shell out for the misaligned headlights scam one time.
I remember stuff like that when I lived in Virginia and you had to go to private mechanics to get an inspection. In New Jersey the DMV has its own inspection sites, so you're not subject to a mechanic trying to create more revenue for himself.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:13 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
I saw a story on the local news maybe about a year ago where this guy was driving in Queens and he literally smashed his nice car right into a median doing 80 not far from JFK airport I believe. The car literally blew up like an action movie and while it's still flaming you see the guy walking away across the highway from this massive chaos as it's unfolding. Then the news mentioned he left some girl behind in the car. Very bizarre how the news covered it and just very sad. Only in NY folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City