Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most stressful city to drive in?
Washington DC 12 8.33%
San Francisco 5 3.47%
New York City 48 33.33%
Boston 24 16.67%
Los Angeles 26 18.06%
Atlanta 15 10.42%
Seattle 2 1.39%
Chicago 4 2.78%
Philadelphia 2 1.39%
Houston 6 4.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 04:39 PM

504 posts, read 603,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
I've driven in all of these cities except for Seattle, San Francisco and Chicago. To me, the answer is NYC, Manhattan in particular, and it's not close. I've sat in traffic jams in LA and Atlanta. No fun to be sure, but I didn't find it particularly stressful.

In Manhattan, in addition to the 4-5 lane avenues absolutely packed with traffic, you have an insane number of pedestrians, bikers, delivery guys all just running out across the street. Your head needs to be on a swivel at all times. Not to mention that army of taxis and now uber drivers who mindlessly weave in and out, knowing that you will eventually let them in (because you care about your car, or you have kids in the car, etc.)

And then you have the entrances to the tunnels, which take said 4-5 lanes and squeeze it down to 2 before entering the tunnels, which will of course back them up. While I wasn't driving in this particular instance, it once took my an hour in a taxi from my office in western midtown to the Queens Midtown tunnel on the east side, a distance of about .75 miles en route to JFK. Nearly missed my flight.

Yeah, NYC.
What do you think about the availability of street parking in Manhattan? Which borough would be the second worst to drive in after Manhattan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 07:33 PM

12,239 posts, read 8,160,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
What do you think about the availability of street parking in Manhattan? Which borough would be the second worst to drive in after Manhattan?
bronx

Old 04-08-2021, 07:44 PM

11,077 posts, read 12,533,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Pittsburgh can be frustrating if you are not used to it. Pittsburgh has tunnels, which always causes a bottleneck, as well as many many bridges, hilly terrain, steep streets, and short freeway ramps with little time to merge. Some streets end and then pick up a little further down the road. In many instances, there's no straight point between point A and point B. Even some stairways have their own street name.
The one way streets in downtown Pittsburgh are the most annoying part of driving around there.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:29 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,440,120 times
Quote:
Parking sucks in NYC. It’s not worth driving there & I live there. Just take the train with the rest of us!

Old 04-09-2021, 06:55 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,417,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Good for you. I have a very hard time shifting gears (pun totally intended) when traveling. My girlfriend's parents live in rural Vermont. My father splits time between rural Maine and rural Virginia. When I'm in any of those places, I have to regularly remind myself (not entirely true - my gf is good at letting me know what I'm doing wrong behind the wheel) that I'm not in the city anymore and that I need to back off the car in front of me, give the other car at the 4-way stop more than 1/1,000,000th of a second before I decide he's "hesitating," and that it's not going to kill me to stop to let cars turn left across my lane of traffic or pull out of a parking lot. It's really not easy for me to change styles just because outside of the city, but I wish it was. I can fully appreciate why people in many of these places have issues with drivers from bigger cities - they often don't leave their habits in the city when they head out to the country (or a vacation spot like Orlando).
I’ve been bludgeoned into driving the speed limit in Vermont. Speed limit + 4 on cruise control is it. Too many speed traps. I normally have the enormous grille of a full size SUV with out of state plates occupying my rear view mirror. As a semi-reformed Massholian driver, I’m aware of their spiked blood pressure and pull over when I can. I recall a Cadillac Escalade with NY plates on a bucolic country road where I pulled over to let him by and passed him pulled over by the speed trap a mile further down the road. I’ll drive 80+ with everyone else on the Boston roads but I’m speed limit + 9 in New Hampshire and speed limit + 4 in Vermont.

The worst thing I drive on I’m sure you know. Locally dubbed “Dartmouth Shoals”. Dartmouth Street from the city line in New Bedford to Allen Street. Cars parked on both sides of a high traffic street and insufficient room for cars to pass in opposing directions. The skill level of the drivers is awful.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:43 AM

13,001 posts, read 22,187,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve been bludgeoned into driving the speed limit in Vermont. Speed limit + 4 on cruise control is it. Too many speed traps. I normally have the enormous grille of a full size SUV with out of state plates occupying my rear view mirror. As a semi-reformed Massholian driver, I’m aware of their spiked blood pressure and pull over when I can. I recall a Cadillac Escalade with NY plates on a bucolic country road where I pulled over to let him by and passed him pulled over by the speed trap a mile further down the road. I’ll drive 80+ with everyone else on the Boston roads but I’m speed limit + 9 in New Hampshire and speed limit + 4 in Vermont.

The worst thing I drive on I’m sure you know. Locally dubbed “Dartmouth Shoals”. Dartmouth Street from the city line in New Bedford to Allen Street. Cars parked on both sides of a high traffic street and insufficient room for cars to pass in opposing directions. The skill level of the drivers is awful.
Yep, that's about right for me too. We take I-89 the whole way and traffic really thins out on that road so it's tempting to fly (especially heading north after being in traffic from Boston to the 89 split) but both NH and VT have several speed traps each time we're heading up. It's a dangerous stretch if you have out-of-state plates (and I recently moved to a car with a bigger bullseye). Thankfully, I haven't been stopped yet, but I've been cursing under my breath as I drive by two Vermont staties in the median. I usually feel comfortable at about 75 in NH and 70ish in Vermont. Once we're on 100, 5 over feels OK to me (we rarely see police on that stretch), but I usually end up behind a local going 5 under or just the speed limit. My favorite VT learning experience has been covered bridge etiquette (basically, alternating turns which should be self explanatory, but isn't to many with out of state plates) - not something I learned during drivers ed in New Bedford.

I know that road pretty well. The skillset makes it particularly awful. The pedestrians can be bad too. I once had someone walk out in front of me in the middle of the street (no crosswalk) and flip me off as I jammed on the brakes to avoid killing them. It's chaos over there.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:24 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,117,191 times
Quote:
Which borough would be the second worst to drive in after Manhattan?
They all equally suck to drive in besides SI.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:37 AM

992 posts, read 743,388 times
Quote:
Street parking would likely be not available (at least below Morningside Heights), although there are garages if you're cool with paying $70 per day. I've never tried to park there since I live right across the river and just take PATH or ferry when I go into the city, so I only drive through when I'm trying to get to Long Island or occasionally when Google tells me the west side highway is faster to get up to New England or points north (vs. the normal GW Bridge route).

I will say this though. I drove through last April, right in the middle of the first COVID lockdown, and it was delightfully empty. I think I hit 60mph on 10th Ave, and it was exhilarating, ha. Not a soul around at that time, it could have been the set of a post-apocalyptic movie!

Old 04-09-2021, 09:13 AM

11,924 posts, read 8,149,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Since you bring this up, I wonder which metro is the worst for speed traps...

Old 04-09-2021, 09:32 AM

13,001 posts, read 22,187,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Since you bring this up, I wonder which metro is the worst for speed traps...
Good question. In my experience, Route 13 on the Eastern Shore of Virginia (from the border to the Bridge-Tunnel) is the most consistent. I've never driven even 4-5 miles on that stretch of road without seeing at least a cruiser tucked away waiting to nab someone, or someone already pull over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City