Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most stressful city to drive in?
Washington DC 12 8.33%
San Francisco 5 3.47%
New York City 48 33.33%
Boston 24 16.67%
Los Angeles 26 18.06%
Atlanta 15 10.42%
Seattle 2 1.39%
Chicago 4 2.78%
Philadelphia 2 1.39%
Houston 6 4.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 02:15 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I remember stuff like that when I lived in Virginia and you had to go to private mechanics to get an inspection. In New Jersey the DMV has its own inspection sites, so you're not subject to a mechanic trying to create more revenue for himself.
I used to get my car inspected in NJ by my mechanic buddy at a local gas station. I'd throw him $20 and call it a day. Granted, it was still the 90's the last time I did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 02:15 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah I agree, Houston drivers drive recklessly.
I feel like they have chilled out recently. It's not as bad as it used to be. In my opinion, DFW has gotten worse with this, and Atlanta is like the old Houston. So much weaving across the entire freeway and speeding up to a slow line of cars, causing the fast driver to brake hard. I guess that's what happens when you've been driving on two-lane winding country like roads for 20 minutes before getting on a 12-lane pretty open freeway.

For me NYC was the most stressful. Bumper to bumper traffic and the worry of the random pedestrian coming from between parked cars to jaywalk right in front of you.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:23 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Does anybody else notice NC drivers randomly run/go through red lights?

Horrible drivers.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:28 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I feel like they have chilled out recently. It's not as bad as it used to be. In my opinion, DFW has gotten worse with this, and Atlanta is like the old Houston. So much weaving across the entire freeway and speeding up to a slow line of cars, causing the fast driver to brake hard. I guess that's what happens when you've been driving on two-lane winding country like roads for 20 minutes before getting on a 12-lane pretty open freeway.

For me NYC was the most stressful. Bumper to bumper traffic and the worry of the random pedestrian coming from between parked cars to jaywalk right in front of you.
I haven’t had this vibe. But Miami is worst of the worst in my opinion. Unless you’re in the suburbs in which case Texas wins

Old 04-06-2021, 02:30 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
Dallas drivers seem to be just as aggressive as Houston drivers.
They arent.

Old 04-06-2021, 03:43 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
In my experience:

NYC: Rude, and forced to be that way because of several lanes merging into two to get in and out of Manhattan, not giving an inch. Traffic makes it bad, or at least did pre-pandemic.

Boston: Crazy streets that were cattle paths make for crazy drivers who are trying to escape insane traffic on main routes. Traffic and impatient rudeness, Storrow Drive especially bad.

Chicago: Parking lot on the Eisenhower Expressway, one of the most congested highways in the world, makes people switch lanes and ride the shoulder to exits. When the expressways are clear, mostly good drivers, with the occasional insane one weaving through traffic at high speeds because, I guess, they can.

Miami: Bad, bad drivers who sit on the horn the moment the light turns green. Older drivers who drive slowly, and recent immigrants who still drive like home.

Detroit: Nascar 500 on highways with speeds of 80 and 90 mph, and need to keep up so you won't get run over.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Been there 3 times, the worst drivers I have ever seen, no regard for lanes.

Los Angeles: High speeds during times on certain freeways (the 57 for one) and a parking lot with frustration on the others like the 405.

Old 04-06-2021, 04:59 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
In my experience:

NYC: Rude, and forced to be that way because of several lanes merging into two to get in and out of Manhattan, not giving an inch. Traffic makes it bad, or at least did pre-pandemic.

Boston: Crazy streets that were cattle paths make for crazy drivers who are trying to escape insane traffic on main routes. Traffic and impatient rudeness, Storrow Drive especially bad.

Chicago: Parking lot on the Eisenhower Expressway, one of the most congested highways in the world, makes people switch lanes and ride the shoulder to exits. When the expressways are clear, mostly good drivers, with the occasional insane one weaving through traffic at high speeds because, I guess, they can.

Miami: Bad, bad drivers who sit on the horn the moment the light turns green. Older drivers who drive slowly, and recent immigrants who still drive like home.

Detroit: Nascar 500 on highways with speeds of 80 and 90 mph, and need to keep up so you won't get run over.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Been there 3 times, the worst drivers I have ever seen, no regard for lanes.

Los Angeles: High speeds during times on certain freeways (the 57 for one) and a parking lot with frustration on the others like the 405.
lmao facts. that's why its #1 on my list

Old 04-06-2021, 05:16 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Atlanta currently sits at number 3 behind NYC and Boston, which seems a stretch if factoring things like parking and overall congestion. Atlanta is very easy to park in and traffic is mostly bad just during rush hours. Am I wrong?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:56 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Atlanta currently sits at number 3 behind NYC and Boston, which seems a stretch if factoring things like parking and overall congestion. Atlanta is very easy to park in and traffic is mostly bad just during rush hours. Am I wrong?
It kind of depends. Traffic in Atlanta is widely unpredictable and there are no easy ways to avoid congestion that won't leave you sitting in another jam. Atlanta has no arterials that allow you to bypass the majority of the city so it contends with ALOT of thru truck traffic that piles up on I-285, especially I-285 top-end which makes bad traffic jams even worse.

Namely, 2 Atlanta interchanges made top 10 most congested interstates in the country

https://truckingresearch.org/2021/02...k-bottlenecks/

If you try to commute east/west off of the highway then you will be sitting on surface arterials which were largely not designed for thru traffic and have many areas where roads are either disconnected, end abruptly, or turn into another street and change directions with uncountable amounts of suburban traffic signals and intersections.

For me, Atlanta is pretty up there on my least favorite places to drive and I've been to most major cities in the country. It's not the worst and I probably wouldn't rank it 3rd either but it is pretty up there in terms of driver unfriendliness.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:11 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It kind of depends. Traffic in Atlanta is widely unpredictable and there are no easy ways to avoid congestion that won't leave you sitting in another jam. Atlanta has no arterials that allow you to bypass the majority of the city so it contends with ALOT of thru truck traffic that piles up on I-285, especially I-285 top-end which makes bad traffic jams even worse.

Namely, 2 Atlanta interchanges made top 10 most congested interstates in the country

https://truckingresearch.org/2021/02...k-bottlenecks/

If you try to commute east/west off of the highway then you will be sitting on surface arterials which were largely not designed for thru traffic and have many areas where roads are either disconnected, end abruptly, or turn into another street and change directions with uncountable amounts of suburban traffic signals and intersections.

For me, Atlanta is pretty up there on my least favorite places to drive and I've been to most major cities in the country. It's not the worst and I probably wouldn't rank it 3rd either but it is pretty up there in terms of driver unfriendliness.
Unfortunately #1 on that list is right down the road from me. Add to that the drivers in Fort Lee are plain bad and it just pours salt on the wound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City