Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most stressful city to drive in?
Washington DC 12 8.33%
San Francisco 5 3.47%
New York City 48 33.33%
Boston 24 16.67%
Los Angeles 26 18.06%
Atlanta 15 10.42%
Seattle 2 1.39%
Chicago 4 2.78%
Philadelphia 2 1.39%
Houston 6 4.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 06:59 AM

253 posts, read 199,053 times

Advertisements

I feel that everyone is going to say their city is the most stressful to drive in.

I commuted from the far west of Chicago to Hyde park in the mid-South side of Chicago via interstate.
Only 17 miles.
In any other place 17 miles is a 10 minute ride. It took me an hour. IT stressed me out.
An hour of smooth highway sailing is nothing compared to constant people merging, honking, stop and go, etc.

I've ridden in Seattle, SF, Portland, L.A., SD. Can't say I was stressed. Granted I was there for vacation.

The one annoying thing about the western cities was their tangled streets. I tried to take small streets to get away from main arterial streets and I ended up getting trapped in circles because the neighborhood streets all seem to have Non-Grid streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 07:28 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Chicago is considerably worse than Seattle. Honestly didn’t have much trouble with LA or SD.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:38 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Chicago is considerably worse than Seattle. Honestly didn’t have much trouble with LA or SD.

LA isn't stressful. It's just that the traffic is relentless. I had a travel pattern for a while where I was flying into LAX and driving a rental car to Irvine/Tustin rather than connect from my east coast city and fly into John Wayne. It was fine landing at LAX at 7pm or catching a late-morning departure. There are easily 12 hours per day where the 405 is jammed solid.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:46 AM

50 posts, read 39,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
I feel that everyone is going to say their city is the most stressful to drive in.

I commuted from the far west of Chicago to Hyde park in the mid-South side of Chicago via interstate.
Only 17 miles.
In any other place 17 miles is a 10 minute ride. It took me an hour. IT stressed me out.
An hour of smooth highway sailing is nothing compared to constant people merging, honking, stop and go, etc.

I've ridden in Seattle, SF, Portland, L.A., SD. Can't say I was stressed. Granted I was there for vacation.

The one annoying thing about the western cities was their tangled streets. I tried to take small streets to get away from main arterial streets and I ended up getting trapped in circles because the neighborhood streets all seem to have Non-Grid streets.

I like to know what "other" city has a 10 minute 17 mile commute that is not in the dead of 3am? In LA a vacation doesn't count, if you had to commute from Riv or SB county during rush hours its a daily 3 hour average commute.. choke points and junctions thoughout the whole southland. You're right everybody will say their city is stressful to drive in but thats not an exaggeration when it comes to the LA area. Do the long commute everyday and you'll see this whole area is equal to the worse parts of the northeast and I-95 etc. And driving from I-94 to downtown Chicago is similar to LA going up the 110 from harbor and hub city.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:50 AM

Stress mean different things to diff people.. if cars swervin and speeding around you is what constitutes stress in your life then Atlanta and Memphis TN takes the cake for wreckless driving and lane changing in my exp..

Old 04-10-2021, 08:15 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Quote:

Only 17 miles.

Nah. I live 8 miles from Yankee Stadium. It could easily take over an hour to get there on any given gameday.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennything View Post
I like to know what "other" city has a 10 minute 17 mile commute that is not in the dead of 3am? In LA a vacation doesn't count, if you had to commute from Riv or SB county during rush hours its a daily 3 hour average commute.. choke points and junctions thoughout the whole southland. You're right everybody will say their city is stressful to drive in but thats not an exaggeration when it comes to the LA area. Do the long commute everyday and you'll see this whole area is equal to the worse parts of the northeast and I-95 etc. And driving from I-94 to downtown Chicago is similar to LA going up the 110 from harbor and hub city.
From my experience the interconnected smaller towns/suburbs in the bay are have less development in-between which allows for more flowing traffic.

If you're talking bay or golden bridges then that obviously clusters up spots. But the interstates around them aren't too bad.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
From my experience the interconnected smaller towns/suburbs in the bay are have less development in-between which allows for more flowing traffic.

If you're talking bay or golden bridges then that obviously clusters up spots. But the interstates around them aren't too bad.
I meant the LA/ southern Cali area but the Bay area has bad commutes going into the urban areas too from the 580 westbound.. but the choke points at junctions im referring to exist all throughout the area for example the 15 fwy junctions in Ontario and 215/91 in Riverside and that's the outer portions of the combined metro here. But for Chicago ive seen some people akirt through the breakdown lane in Chicago to get pass traffic but that's really the selfish people that you run into anywhere

Old 04-10-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennything View Post
I meant the LA/ southern Cali area but the Bay area has bad commutes going into the urban areas too from the 580 westbound.. but the choke points at junctions im referring to exist all throughout the area for example the 15 fwy junctions in Ontario and 215/91 in Riverside and that's the outer portions of the combined metro here. But for Chicago ive seen some people akirt through the breakdown lane in Chicago to get pass traffic but that's really the selfish people that you run into anywhere
Yeah. I saw it constantly during my expressway driving days commuting. Or not letting people merge in so it created a back up on the merging lane. Or going into the turning/merging lane at the last minute while everyone else waited in the specified merging lane.
During the interchange construction there was a 3 lane into 1 lane portion that had people road raging every night.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:59 AM

L.A, Chicago, ATL all bad traffic flat metros but I want to say TEXAS has their own flavor... they would exit the freeway off onto the frontage rd using a dirt road, how TX is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City