Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most ridiculed
Portland 20 5.73%
Jacksonville 8 2.29%
Tampa 3 0.86%
Phoenix 7 2.01%
Cleveland 116 33.24%
Oakland 4 1.15%
Detroit 144 41.26%
Pittsburgh 3 0.86%
Cincinnati 2 0.57%
Newark 17 4.87%
Other 25 7.16%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 08:40 PM

44 posts, read 34,396 times

Advertisements

Live in Detroit CSA, I’d definitely say Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 12:31 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
I voted "Other" and the city I believe should have been included in the poll is Salt Lake City.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
The Cleveland thing is definitely a 30-40+ perception. I heard about the Serial Killer there and I heard about the River being on Fire but that was all a decade ago. The River itself caught in fire several decades ago. Cleveland now is even less notorious than Saint Louis or Baltimore and Chicago and Detroit still somewhat hold the crown in my book for dilapidated Midwest. Their just hasn’t been anything unwieldy terrible that happened to Cleveland in the last 10 years for it to even make sense in this poll. Even during the riots and protests of last year it was one of the least talked about cities for violence.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:59 PM

994 posts, read 782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The Cleveland thing is definitely a 30-40+ perception. I heard about the Serial Killer there and I heard about the River being on Fire but that was all a decade ago. The River itself caught in fire several decades ago. Cleveland now is even less notorious than Saint Louis or Baltimore and Chicago and Detroit still somewhat hold the crown in my book for dilapidated Midwest. Their just hasn’t been anything unwieldy terrible that happened to Cleveland in the last 10 years for it to even make sense in this poll. Even during the riots and protests of last year it was one of the least talked about cities for violence.
After Treyvon Martin, the Tamir Rice murder was one of the main early catalysts (along with Mike Brown, Eric Garner, etc.) for the BLM movement, but I wouldn't say any city is ridiculed in popular culture due to racial injustice protests (which happened in every city in the country regardless of whether you heard about it:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...20well%20known.

The Anthony Sowell (serial killer you referred to was 2009) case was international news at the time and painted a black eye on the city. You may have heard of Ariel Castro a couple years later who also made international news when one of the three girls he had been holding captive for over 10 years escaped his house, which was another black eye. But even those aren't examples of pop culture ridicule, more like a spotlight on how was it possible those two things took place (Sowell having 11 bodies in his home) and Castro (holding three girls captive for over a decade) happen in the middle of city neighborhoods.

Old 05-10-2021, 02:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,739,221 times
I had to vote for Newark because I feel like nobody gets ridiculed quite like New Jersey does... Sure, most don't single out Newark, but NYC and Philly both give it to Jersey like nobody's business...
If you didn't know better, listening to those guys, you would think Jersey was just a huge smelly dump...

Old 05-10-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I had to vote for Newark because I feel like nobody gets ridiculed quite like New Jersey does... Sure, most don't single out Newark, but NYC and Philly both give it to Jersey like nobody's business...
If you didn't know better, listening to those guys, you would think Jersey was just a huge smelly dump...
I agree. I said the same thing a couple weeks back that New Jersey as a state gets as much ridicule as anywhere, and mostly unfair.

As a state, Florida is starting to get like that too with the whole "Florida man" thing where anything bizarre that happens in that gigantic, populated state gets attention because it generates clicks/views.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:29 PM

14,187 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Benjamin Franklin in the 1770s said of New Jersey that it was "a keg tapped at both ends." The history of Philadelphia and New York exerting their pull on the two halves of the state is long. (Princeton University is where it is because the presbyteries of New York and Philadelphia each wanted to establish a college in the 1740s; instead, they decided to go in together on one and chose a location exactly midway between the two cities.)

I've said of Newark that if it were located anywhere other than where it is (15 minutes from New York), we would be talking about a metropolitan center in its own right.

Old 05-14-2021, 06:09 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,147 times
Chicago probably: it has been called 'Chiraq', 'the murder capital'(although this is incorrect per capita, only in absolute numbers it is), people still often talk about Al Capone and Cabrini Green, it has been called a 'gangster city' in the Gangland crime documentaries.

Detroit used to take a lot of heat too, although it is greatly improving at the moment. Already in the 70s it got ridiculed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM

Old 05-14-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Chicago probably: it has been called 'Chiraq', 'the murder capital'(although this is incorrect per capita, only in absolute numbers it is), people still often talk about Al Capone and Cabrini Green, it has been called a 'gangster city' in the Gangland crime documentaries.

Detroit used to take a lot of heat too, although it is greatly improving at the moment. Already in the 70s it got ridiculed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM
Cleveland got those in movies too. I don't remember anything about the movie Mr. Baseball from the early 90s other than I remember it doubled down on the "don't tell me I've been traded to Cleveland" joke. Like once wasn't enough.

On that note, Cleveland had an entire movie based off it in "Major League," which actually is on the Mount Rushmore of overall sports comedies (actually comedies, period) and one that Cleveland has absolutely embraced as its own. Lol, no joke, people could name more people off the fictional Cleveland Indians from that move than they could the actual real team in the late 80s-early 90s ... I'm actually surprised there isn't a Ricky Vaughn statue in Cleveland (ala Rocky in Philadelphia).

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...t1n4pnrz824l1m

Old 05-15-2021, 04:17 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Cleveland got those in movies too. I don't remember anything about the movie Mr. Baseball from the early 90s other than I remember it doubled down on the "don't tell me I've been traded to Cleveland" joke. Like once wasn't enough.

On that note, Cleveland had an entire movie based off it in "Major League," which actually is on the Mount Rushmore of overall sports comedies (actually comedies, period) and one that Cleveland has absolutely embraced as its own. Lol, no joke, people could name more people off the fictional Cleveland Indians from that move than they could the actual real team in the late 80s-early 90s ... I'm actually surprised there isn't a Ricky Vaughn statue in Cleveland (ala Rocky in Philadelphia).

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...t1n4pnrz824l1m
Major League is hilarious. I've memorized many lines from that movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City