Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most ridiculed
Portland 20 5.73%
Jacksonville 8 2.29%
Tampa 3 0.86%
Phoenix 7 2.01%
Cleveland 116 33.24%
Oakland 4 1.15%
Detroit 144 41.26%
Pittsburgh 3 0.86%
Cincinnati 2 0.57%
Newark 17 4.87%
Other 25 7.16%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 01:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

I voted Cleveland but I recall Boston sports radio for the 2005 Super Bowl making all kinds of disparaging remarks about Jacksonville. It has that big military base tattoo parlor, pawn shop, and strip club ambiance. The drive from the airport to TIAA Bank Field certainly has that ambiance. Inadequate first class hotel capacity so they had to rent cruise ships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 05:15 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I voted Cleveland but I recall Boston sports radio for the 2005 Super Bowl making all kinds of disparaging remarks about Jacksonville. It has that big military base tattoo parlor, pawn shop, and strip club ambiance. The drive from the airport to TIAA Bank Field certainly has that ambiance. Inadequate first class hotel capacity so they had to rent cruise ships.
Yeah Jax really took it on the chin for the superbowl. The drive from the airport to downtown goes the north side which is the hardest part of the city. Most of the hotels at that time were on the south side 15 mins from downtown. They really weren't prepared for it.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:32 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
I didnt vote for Cleveland because noone really talks about Cleveland. I dont really hear about it outside the tourism videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

but those were 2009. 2020 Cleveland looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbmT2Rs8vw

Old 04-16-2021, 05:52 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
Detroit. It's basically been known as this country's most dilapidated, war zone major city longer than any other I can remember. Sad.

Cleveland though has been the butt of a lot of jokes. I never knew about the Lake going on fire until i got to college and my buddy from Ohio told me about it.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
It’s not just right winged? I never hear it from right winged sources but that’s probably because I don’t read them as it is. But it doesn’t surprise me. They probably use it to their advantage. But it’s 100% not just them. Don’t ask me why. That’s what we grew up learning is Chicago for some reason seen as a third world country level danger. I would show my peers the statistics of the crime and it not backing them up and they still believed it just because...

Don’t make me remind you of the infamous “Chi-raq” by Spike Lee that Chicago didn’t take too well...

Only people who want to bash Chicago refer to it that way. Like, maybe someone from Texas? And, who is "we" grew up learning Chicago is "third world country level danger". Please, you are too obvious, trying to throw a dig at Chicago, when it's not even an option. Be more subtle if you don't want us to see through what's obvious. Chicago has too much going for it, to be on this list.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:52 AM

771 posts, read 627,183 times
Not enough people know about Cleveland on a national scale, though. Even with LeBron and Drew Carey making the city cool again. I get the impression that most Americans don't know the difference between Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati, especially people from outside the Midwest. It's all Ohio to them.

Detroit's reputation, although aided by Eminem (I guess?), has been ridiculed for many, many years. It's also a larger major city than Cleveland, therefore more famous on a national scale. Everyone knows about Detroit, and it's usually for bad reasons...

With that being said, a good portion of cities in the Midwest and Northeast have suffered from similar issues. Buffalo definitely has an inferiority complex, and Baltimore is known for its "rough" reputation up and down the East Coast.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:28 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Only people who want to bash Chicago refer to it that way. Like, maybe someone from Texas? And, who is "we" grew up learning Chicago is "third world country level danger". Please, you are too obvious, trying to throw a dig at Chicago, when it's not even an option. Be more subtle if you don't want us to see through what's obvious. Chicago has too much going for it, to be on this list.
When we talk about cities and chicago is brought up 99% of the time people talk about either
A) chiraq
B) south side murders

In Boston people were indifferent about Chicago but now I live in NYC area, Chicago if not Philadelphia are the butt of all jokes.

I literally had a friend from Patterson NJ tell me “your family is considering Chicago? Damn i didnt even know people still went there!” Then proceded with some lame jokes about chiraq. Oddly enough a day later a mass shooting at a nightclub happened and he was like “SEEE!”

.. as if he lived in short hills. Man was patterson

Old 04-16-2021, 07:42 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
When we talk about cities and chicago is brought up 99% of the time people talk about either
A) chiraq
B) south side murders

In Boston people were indifferent about Chicago but now I live in NYC area, Chicago if not Philadelphia are the butt of all jokes.

I literally had a friend from Patterson NJ tell me “your family is considering Chicago? Damn i didnt even know people still went there!” Then proceded with some lame jokes about chiraq. Oddly enough a day later a mass shooting at a nightclub happened and he was like “SEEE!”

.. as if he lived in short hills. Man was patterson
All cities have something to ridicule, I guess. And, most of us are smart enough to accept it for what it is.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:53 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Poor ole Cleveland--that's the answer, based on my experience and opinion.

My partner and his family are all from Pittsburgh, and they have relatives in both Chicago and Cleveland. They constantly knock Cleveland all the time LOL....I don't know what it is, but it's always a throwing shade thing at Cleveland. Lately from them it's been the whole state of Ohio.

I feel like Ohio has emerged as a state that gets beat up a lot with digs lately, too.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:04 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Cleveland and Detroit are the top 2 by far. Cleveland over Detroit because there are more specific things that people mention about Cleveland, however horribly misunderstood. For example, "Mistake by the Lake" was a nickname for the football stadium, which I would still agree with, not the city; the Cuyahoga River fire being one of many river fires worldwide at the time, but an important event for actually doing something about pollution of our waterways. I remember when Lebron left for Miami, it was in vogue to bash Cleveland for that. Then the insufferable Mike Polk tourism videos, though I think they are completely unfunny, were not made for national consumption but somehow went viral. People don't even understand the "jokes" if you aren't from here, but no matter!

Detroit is known nationally more for just being abandoned and "Scary", I don't think there is the same level of specific knowledge. Ditto Chicago. I'm not really sure why it is cool to make fun of cities who were the victims of dystopian global neoliberalism and systematically dispossessed of their livelihoods and wealth mere years after supplying the country with so much to improve everyone's lives and creating the materials necessary to win two world wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City