Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the most ridiculed
Portland 20 5.75%
Jacksonville 8 2.30%
Tampa 3 0.86%
Phoenix 7 2.01%
Cleveland 116 33.33%
Oakland 4 1.15%
Detroit 143 41.09%
Pittsburgh 3 0.86%
Cincinnati 2 0.57%
Newark 17 4.89%
Other 25 7.18%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 07:05 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Dallas for leaving above their means/ 30k millionaires/ Megachurches
Is Dallas more known for megachurches than Houston? Honest question because I don't know. But I ask because Houston has Osteen. I know Fort Worth has Copeland, who makes Osteen look like an angel. But Osteen is a much bigger name. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 10:18 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Spare me. I lived in Chicago for years, many years, and never knew anyone (I know many), who was impacted by crime. Per capita, Chicago nowhere at all leads in crime. Not sure how your thread turned into a big Chicago bash fest, but I'm seeing a fair amount of "let's just jump on the bandwagon", without true knowledge of how it really is to live in Chicago's MSA. What you said in your first sentence, makes no sense, but I guess we just know different people. You all do know how big the city is, right???
While I agree that Chicago is not quite as dangerous as many would lead you to believe...

If you know many people in Chicago, as you say you do, then you know people who have been directly impacted by crime. I’ve lived in residential north side neighborhoods from Old Town north. Not only have I been impacted by crime in Chicago on two occasions, but I’d say 50% of our Chicago network has too. It happens, it’s part of life in any city. But Chicago does make it a lot easier to run into problems.

Chicago isn’t the worst, but it’s nowhere near the best. We were

Old 04-17-2021, 12:21 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, I was perusing YouTube and there are tons of videos of Chicago Latino rappers (from Humble Park, Pilsen, La Villita, etc) with drill type gang music video. Seems like the young kids rap culture in Chicago, which does perpetuate violence. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm older so when I was growing up Chicago rap was just Common, Lupe Fiasco, and Kanye. Tons of white kids like me loved this rap. But I can't get with this drill, LOL.

Yeah, Baltimore's image was tarnished by the riots, which were on CNN and every major news channel globally for about 1 week. Baltimore even has a bad rep from east coast visitors and tourists in general. Tons of mischievous teens are always out and about acting up in the inner harbor. There have been several incidents of tourists being jumped and badly injured (some are on YouTube). And then the riots. I lived in Baltimore when I was in professional school (and grew up in MD). Baltimore is hurt in reputation because many of the rowdiness occurs downtown in touristy areas.

The reason Chicago is kind of an enigma, is that in general, downtown is so clean and beautiful, that while tourists "hear" about its problems throughout the media, they rarely "see" it. That's why I always get comments like, "I've been to Chicago and thought it was a gorgeous city...so is it really as bad as they say?" The "bad" neighborhoods in the South and West sides are physically so far away from downtown (>30 min train ride) that the city can "hide it" from tourists. This isn't the case with Baltimore.
Yes, it is harder from the core to quickly hit the so-called bad areas that in most instances.... do not look that bad. There is another city rather then merely say Baltimore too it is just so easy to run from a gentrifying block to well...... far not looking like it and you would get mad if I mentioned it.... so you can just do Baltimore instead.

I always thought also.... maybe the city made a deal to keep the worst of possible hood-rats from the core and keep it clean and adding so much. As gentrification spreads.... they city seemed quick to fix or redo streets even add trees and green medians where it was not like in former industrial areas and streets now loft living and other like the booming West Loop.

Chicago photographs so well also with the ugly power-line poles on other cities regular and main streets very visual.... in Chicago they run down its alleyways. Freeing the fronts from their blemish.

What OUTSIDE THE RAP HIP HOP DRILL SCENE is the perception that yes.... Chicago has the gang on gang crime and shootings and it is IN THE HOODS away from areas they would see. So they did see a city that hit all the boxes of booming far more then any decline.... cleaner then many others and right on the lake having its core+skyscrapers of all eras and Parks, beaches and harbors. Just could surpass most expectation.

Those who DWELL ON THIS CHI-RAQ stuff because of the RAP Scene they know..... is not necessarily most Americans. That was part of my point in other post. I Do not partake in Rap unless it is on a Juke Box when out. It is not going to sway me with N words and F words and Chi-Raq this and that Drill.

My EYES tell me far more then these songs that will fade. The Uptick in crime a few years ago in Chicago, is now in virtually every large city (I won't call out a city you hate called out) .... EVEN IF RAP DOES NOT LABEL ALL THEM OTHER CITIES FOR THE YOUNG FANS OF IT who may.... like the down and dirty that isn't on sex,love and ...... something positive. My hope seems to have Rap moving from its worst luv affair and the new directions it may go will not be so negative.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:00 AM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Cleveland for sure, has the most negative perspective and ridicule of any city on this poll. I stopped wearing Cleveland Sports apparel when outside Cleveland due to the comments I would receive from strangers that made fun of Cleveland and had nothing to do with Sports. I’ve heard negative comments in Orlando, Nashville, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Detroit, you name a city I have heard a disparaging remark about Cleveland.

I like Sports and travel so I also wear other cities apparel and I do not get the same ridicule as I did wearing something with Cleveland written across the shirt or hat. Usually the comments for other cities are post over or are sports related.

For some reason, people really do have it out for Cleveland. And I admit, I am not a fan of Cleveland but don’t think it’s as bad as it is made out to be.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:10 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Is Dallas more known for megachurches than Houston? Honest question because I don't know. But I ask because Houston has Osteen. I know Fort Worth has Copeland, who makes Osteen look like an angel. But Osteen is a much bigger name. Just a thought.
That's the difference you were not getting.
Both have the Megachurch stereotype, Dallas is the one I hear ridiculed for it.

And Dallas has a plethora of mega churches.
TD Jake's is bigger name than Copeland. Just add big as Osteen.

I have also heard Dallas ridiculed for women with big hair. It's also a stereotype but what ridicule is not a stereotype?

Old 04-17-2021, 07:43 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 8 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,648 times
Detroit still can't shake its reputation for violence, blight, urban decay even though the worst of it is over (70s/80s). Its core is mostly intact but its neighborhood fabric/cohesion is broken.

In the more modern era St. Louis and Baltimore face ridicule also. Someone once said to me that Baltimore is like the unwanted step child of the BosWash corridor. And yet that is despite its deep history and urban structure.

St. Louis is known for its rampant inner city crime and urban decay.

So I would probably say those three. Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis

LA gets a lot of flack for its large unsheltered homeless population and homeless encampments.

Who knows what the future holds. Portland OR and Minneapolis seem to have growing unrest, idk if that will translate into something more long-term structural or if it will just pass.

Many other cities face their critics too (NYC, SF, Chicago, Dc, Boston, Philly, Miami, Tampa, LV, San Antone, Oakland, B'ham, Charleston, Buffalo, Cleveland, Memphis, NOLA, Dallas, Houston, Jax, Atl, Phx, KC, OKC, Omaha, Milwaukee, Seattle, Roch, Pitt, Flint, Abq, Jackson, Newark, Trenton, Richmond, really almost any city, etc.). It's just not really (and in some cases nowhere near) quite as overwhelming negative (to varying degrees) as the three above mentioned.

Last edited by g500; 04-17-2021 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-17-2021, 07:45 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
For some reason, people really do have it out for Cleveland. And I admit, I am not a fan of Cleveland but don’t think it’s as bad as it is made out to be.
yeah, Cleveland was getting beaten up back in the late 80s. And I remember, Arsenio Hall (followed by Drew Carey) kinda made it a personal mission to help rehab Cleveland's image. It was a city that got more grief than it deserved.
I think Detroit has been a more dysfunctional city (for 50 years), and received less criticism.

As of April 2021, I think Portland is the most worthy of ridicule. Their Leftist leadership is inept/corrupt.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:26 AM

201 posts, read 219,907 times
Honestly, you could argue that Washington, D.C. faces more ridicule than most of the cities in this list just because of the overwhelming amount of corrupt politicians there. Even though Detroit has the worst reputation of all of these cities, I am feeling like Cleveland is the butt of more jokes than any others from this list. They poke fun at their problems themselves with slogans like "It's not that bad, have a beer", "You've got to be tough", and "At least we're not Detroit!", which I find pretty amusing lol.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:47 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
Honestly, you could argue that Washington, D.C. faces more ridicule than most of the cities in this list just because of the overwhelming amount of corrupt politicians there. Even though Detroit has the worst reputation of all of these cities, I am feeling like Cleveland is the butt of more jokes than any others from this list. They poke fun at their problems themselves with slogans like "It's not that bad, have a beer", "You've got to be tough", and "At least we're not Detroit!", which I find pretty amusing lol.
We do tend to take ownership of the insults, and we've got a pretty good sense of humor about it. I actually like that we can make fun of ourselves, and don't take ourselves too seriously (i.e. the Hastily Made Tourism Videos). We're lovable losers and we own it, although sometimes people can take the jokes and insults too far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVg...ithBillSimmons

I find it pretty funny that this is probably the only poll on CD that Cleveland has ever won by a comfortable margin.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:57 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Toledo deserves a mention because John Denver spent a week there one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City