Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,427,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Seattle and it's not close.

Household density is much higher in Seattle due to lower avg HH sizes. Baltimore is also becoming less dense as population declines and has something like 17,000 abandoned buildings. Anything abandoned in Seattle will be bought by developers and turned into something. Anything abandoned in Baltimore goes on the list to be bulldozed.

Seattle's skyline has blossomed, with 45 buildings over 400 feet, nearly as many as San Francisco, and most built since 2000. Baltimore has 8 buildings over 400 feet, with just one built in the last 20 years. Private developers finance projects in Seattle while Baltimore relies on "TIF" or tax incentive financing because no developer can make money there without a subsidy.

"Vibrancy" in Baltimore is a bunch of dudes in jean shorts hanging out by the Inner Harbor at chain restaurants, along with a bunch of thug kids on bikes and their friends nearby squeegee'ing car windshields. It doesn't compared to Pike Place in any way, shape, or form. The few other parts of Baltimore with walkable bar/restaurant areas like Fells Point and Federal Hill are 1/10th the size of Ballard, Capitol Hill, Belltown, or Fremont and have very few new places.

This could be the silliest, most one sided comparison I've ever seen on C vs. C.
Well said. Seattle may not have the brick rowhouse appearance of urban cities in the Northeast like Philly or Baltimore, but who cares, that's not the benchmark of an urban city.

Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle (own photo)

Westlake and QA neighborhoods in Seattle: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6282...7i16384!8i8192

There's a reason there's no poll in this thread, or the OP and resident09 would be destroyed.

Last edited by Guineas; 04-20-2021 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Uh, you don't seem to understand what urbane means:

Definition of urbane
: notably polite or polished in manner
I didn't make the Merriam-Webster's definition of urbanity, where they used the word "urbane" to describe. The term urbanity, obviously has different perceptions of how it's used. Where as on C-D it's most commonly brought up regarding an "urban center" or "urban structure"/ buildings, city streets etc.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:28 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,818,204 times
Quote:

Household density is much higher in Seattle due to lower avg HH sizes. Baltimore is also becoming less dense as population declines and has something like 17,000 abandoned buildings. Anything abandoned in Seattle will be bought by developers and turned into something. Anything abandoned in Baltimore goes on the list to be bulldozed.

Seattle's skyline has blossomed, with 45 buildings over 400 feet, nearly as many as San Francisco, and most built since 2000. Baltimore has 8 buildings over 400 feet, with just one built in the last 20 years. Private developers finance projects in Seattle while Baltimore relies on "TIF" or tax incentive financing because no developer can make money there without a subsidy.

"Vibrancy" in Baltimore is a bunch of dudes in jean shorts hanging out by the Inner Harbor at chain restaurants, along with a bunch of thug kids on bikes and their friends nearby squeegee'ing car windshields. It doesn't compared to Pike Place in any way, shape, or form. The few other parts of Baltimore with walkable bar/restaurant areas like Fells Point and Federal Hill are 1/10th the size of Ballard, Capitol Hill, Belltown, or Fremont and have very few new places.

This could be the silliest, most one sided comparison I've ever seen on C vs. C.
You're leaving out Hampden, Canton, Highlandtown, Harbor East, Remington, Mount Vernon and shops along Harford Road...

Nevermind Monument Street and Pennsylvania Avenue

Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
Quote:

That's cute.

But none of that makes this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6880...7i16384!8i8192

A more urban city than this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2733...7i16384!8i8192

Sorry.

You're right about one thing, the comparison really isn't right here tbh.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-20-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 04-20-2021, 10:42 AM

1,353 posts, read 887,609 times
Seattle is functionally more urban. With that being said, Seattle is overrated in ubanity on here.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:23 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's cute.

But none of that makes this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6880...7i16384!8i8192

A more urban city than this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2733...7i16384!8i8192

Sorry.

You're right about one thing, the comparison really isn't right here tbh.
Funny The map location for Seattle is 7.8 miles from downtown Seattle. The map location for Baltimore is 14 blocks from downtown Baltimore. You can see downtown in the background. the 1400 blocks in Seattle are all towers ? Why not post a map picture 8 miles from downtown Baltimore on a side street?

Old 04-20-2021, 12:45 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,987,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Funny The map location for Seattle is 7.8 miles from downtown Seattle. The map location for Baltimore is 14 blocks from downtown Baltimore. You can see downtown in the background. the 1400 blocks in Seattle are all towers ? Why not post a map picture 8 miles from downtown Baltimore on a side street?
The outer edges of the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3629...=en&authuser=0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3607...=en&authuser=0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3557...=en&authuser=0

Old 04-20-2021, 12:45 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,885,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
If he did that, that would expose him to how much of a mismatch this comparison is.......
Heavily tilting the odds is the only way Baltimore has a fighting chance in this comparison

Old 04-20-2021, 01:52 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,987,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
If he did that, that would expose him to how much of a mismatch this comparison is.......
Heavily tilting the odds is the only way Baltimore has a fighting chance in this comparison
This post was Dead On Arrival.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:00 PM

591 posts, read 821,607 times
Baltimore has the urban bones but Seattle is operating on a much different and higher level at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City