Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 01:00 PM

20 posts, read 11,198 times

Advertisements

Dallas-Fort Worth stars as top attraction for residents leaving Los Angeles, Zillow says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 02:43 PM

140 posts, read 141,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
LA definitely has a lot more dystopian environments than DFW that's for sure. LA has definitely seen better days. Still though with all of it's problems it really doesn't seem like LA is a complete dump at all. It's not like a St. Louis/ Detroit or Cleveland. Even with it's short comings LA never felt truly depressing. Quite the opposite. It was like a resilient attitude. A vibrant energy that Dallas doesn't have. Not to mention LA still has a pretty strong economy. Still is one of the most relevant cities in the country. Like I said if I had the money I'd choose LA over Dallas.
Well that's the problem most any place would not have the natural beauty and culture of LA but who can afford to live there unless you are from there and you just sold your overly priced West Coast house to put down on another West Coast house. The average person would be working so hard to keep up they won't have time for recreation...

Old 04-22-2021, 05:30 PM

45 posts, read 42,865 times
Been to Dallas dozens of times over the past 15 years. I know it very well.
I'd say Dallas is OK.
It handles the basics well. For many people, that's all that really matters. I'd call it a 2010 Honda Accord of cities. Gets you from point A to point B. No-fuss. But also, no pazzazz. There are other cities are like that. Charlotte NC comes to mind. etc etc.

For America's 4th largest metro with 7.5M people, Dallas at times feels underwhelming. There are some other places in the 2.5M to 3.5M range that pack an equivalent (or bigger) punch than Dallas. I think that's a problem for the city. We'll see if it can fill in some of that. There are a couple of cool neighborhoods. But again - population 7.5M, I'm expecting a certain amount of quality/quantity on the urban amenities and lifestyle side of things.

LA on the other hand is like a fun, impractical, expensive car. Yeah, feels great going from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. Yeah, you look so cool in the driver's seat. But it's got terrible MPG. You can only use the premium gas when filling up. Maintenance is an expensive headache. Basically, it's a car meant for people who have the money. If you're broke, don't even waste your time looking at it.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedUrbanist View Post
I'd say Dallas is OK.
It handles the basics well. For many people, that's all that really matters. I'd call it a 2010 Honda Accord of cities. Gets you from point A to point B. No-fuss. But also, no pazzazz. There are other cities are like that. Charlotte NC comes to mind. etc etc.

For America's 4th largest metro with 7.5M people, Dallas at times feels underwhelming. There are some other places in the 2.5M to 3.5M range that pack an equivalent (or bigger) punch than Dallas. I think that's a problem for the city. We'll see if it can fill in some of that. There are a couple of cool neighborhoods. But again - population 7.5M, I'm expecting a certain amount of quality/quantity on the urban amenities and lifestyle side of things.

LA on the other hand is like a fun, impractical, expensive car. Yeah, feels great going from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. Yeah, you look so cool in the driver's seat. But it's got terrible MPG. You can only use the premium gas when filling up. Maintenance is an expensive headache. Basically, it's a car meant for people who have the money. If you're broke, don't even waste your time looking at it.
Good analogy..lol

Old 04-23-2021, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 11,198 times
Quote:
I'd say Dallas is OK.

I'd say Dallas is more of a 2021 Toyota Camry than 2010 Honda.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:17 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
2010 Honda! lol
Umm...not sure about that, but okay.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:22 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
I'd say Dallas is OK.

Username definitely checks out.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:32 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDogg12 View Post
I'd say Dallas is more of a 2021 Toyota Camry than 2010 Honda.
2021 Tesla. Dallas is the future.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:37 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
2021 Tesla. Dallas is the future.
The future is mediocre to so-so metros with mediocre higher education (locally)?

Old 04-23-2021, 10:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
My responses, above. Even with Fort Worth, which is a surprise (albeit visually unattractive) gem that was way overshadowed, sadly, by Dallas, the greater L.A. area, even with its problems, just blows D/FW out of the water.

Dallas may be the future. But, it's still a rather bland-looking future nonetheless, despite the increasing multiculturalism and multiethnicism of the D/FW region. That Texan/Southern "sameness," that conformity in every way from general lifestyles, to planning and zoning, to general development, permeates in every way in D/FW. The L.A. is still worth the price of admission, if one can afford it.
You never know what the future may bring.

Aside from proximity to the water and mountains, people who lived in big legacy cities during the 1950s were saying the same thing about LA. Fast forward to today and you see what position some of them are in and where LA now stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City