Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 10:51 AM

155 posts, read 127,275 times

Advertisements

He’s not wrong, but Montgomery county could definitely be added to Nashville’s MSA in the future if the commute percentages change and if there is more development in between. Yeah, it’s about a 50 mile difference, but how about Shelbyville? Shelbyville is about an hour difference and they’re included in Nashvilles MSA.

All in all it depends on the commuting percentages. Currently, I’m starting to see a lot of people moving to Clarksville, because it’s somewhat still affordable compared to the Nashville area.

In the future, Austin will still be ahead. Nashville is better centrally located compared to Austin. At least on a shipping and logistics stand point. Also for people that like to have longish road trips. For the people claiming a 6-8 hour drive is long, they must not be into road trips. I definitely would rather have a 6-8 hour drive to Florida if I had a family versus flying. It’s overall cheaper, and you have a car to use compared to renting a car.

Last edited by Zedd90; 10-31-2021 at 12:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 10:54 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
This is ridiculous. Austin and Nashville aren’t that far apart from eachother.

Austin is the epicenter for tech industry outside of the Silicon Valley. Nashville doesn’t compete. That’s where the Austin dominance ends.

Nashville has pro sports teams. Unlike Austin, Nashville is a logistics hub of the nation. I could go on. It’s not all about tech.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:03 PM

What I would like to see people start doing here is actually do side by side comparison of what Austin and Nashville have to offer.

For example..

UT vs Vanderbilt
6th St vs Broadway
ACL vs Bonaroo
AUS vs BNA

Etc

Old 10-31-2021, 01:20 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,067,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Because he's spittin facts? Come on.
He's acting like the Nashville guys were trying their upmost to prove Austin is a smaller city than Nashville. Like they said they were adding context, but it's not like they came out saying. Austin's a small city, Nashville's bigger, and the gap will only widen. They weren't even doing blatant, homerism, to the point were it was necessary to check them, imho.

Austin folks, sometimes do to much, and the city is great. But it's neither-

1. denser than any of the other Texas cities or it's peers in general (I will say West Campus is the most urban neighborhood in Texas).
2. More diverse than all the Texas cities (more diverse than the majority of it's peers though).
3. Has the most exclusive neighborhoods out of the Texas cities.
4. Has the most unique neighborhoods in Texas (Cool neighborhoods for sure, but you can't tell me SoCo is more iconic than Montrose or the Dallas/SA equivalents, I've been on both, SoCo more at this point).

Yet some folks portray it as an urban paradise and say things like the only city in Texas, I would move to is Austin. Like, your not commuting to work on a highway like every other city in Texas, or going to Whataburger at 3:00 AM.

Now if your main reason for moving to a place is safety, liberal politics or a natural environment (Although technically a significant portion of SA and El Paso offers similar/same natural environments), I understand. But other than that, what is Austin giving that just makes all the other Texas cities not comparable.

Maybe when Tesla moves in, their point will be valid. Because Austin will have even more money to actually differentiate itself enough to live up to hype. But it currently even shares the struggling school district with all the other major cities in Texas.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
What I would like to see people start doing here is actually do side by side comparison of what Austin and Nashville have to offer.

For example..

UT vs Vanderbilt
6th St vs Broadway
ACL vs Bonaroo
AUS vs BNA

Etc
1. UT's best programs beat Vanderbilt, but Vandy is better at the bottom being that it is a small more selective private school. It looks like UT ranks higher in most everything professional despite significantly higher enrollments. (Business, engineering, CS, Law, etc). Certainly UT has a much bigger and more successful alumni network. It's similar to comparing UT vs Rice.

2. Neither for a non-tourist, but I'd take Broadway over dirty 6 for the music. 6th Street as a whole (considering west 6 and east side) probably has more variety than Broadway. Austin has some other areas like Rainey and Red River that are a short walk from 6th which are more popular with locals.

3. Bonaroo isn't in Nashville, and SXSW >>> ACL. Bonaroo vs ACL would come down to whether you prefer a camping or city festival. Both have the same generic mega-festival lineups that can also be found at Lola, Governor's Ball, Cochella, etc. I prefer being able to sleep in my house rather than camping, personally, but the latter might be better if you want to go hard on drugs.

4. AUS is a very nice and well located airport, but I believe that BNA has a bit more traffic and a few more flights (AUS more regional competition with SAT and IAH being fairly close). I haven't been to BNA enough to compare, otherwise. My guess is that AUS is better for traveling to the west coast but BNA is better for the east coast. AUS has more international flights but neither has all that many.

Old 10-31-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
1. UT's best programs beat Vanderbilt, but Vandy is better at the bottom being that it is a small more selective private school. It looks like UT ranks higher in most everything professional despite significantly higher enrollments. (Business, engineering, CS, Law, etc). Certainly UT has a much bigger and more successful alumni network. It's similar to comparing UT vs Rice.

2. Neither for a non-tourist, but I'd take Broadway over dirty 6 for the music. 6th Street as a whole (considering west 6 and east side) probably has more variety than Broadway. Austin has some other areas like Rainey and Red River that are a short walk from 6th which are more popular with locals.

3. Bonaroo isn't in Nashville, and SXSW >>> ACL. Bonaroo vs ACL would come down to whether you prefer a camping or city festival. Both have the same generic mega-festival lineups that can also be found at Lola, Governor's Ball, Cochella, etc. I prefer being able to sleep in my house rather than camping, personally, but the latter might be better if you want to go hard on drugs.

4. AUS is a very nice and well located airport, but I believe that BNA has a bit more traffic and a few more flights (AUS more regional competition with SAT and IAH being fairly close). I haven't been to BNA enough to compare, otherwise. My guess is that AUS is better for traveling to the west coast but BNA is better for the east coast. AUS has more international flights but neither has all that many.
In my honest opinion, SXSW isn’t in the conversation of the rest of the music festivals. It’s a bigger and (depending on who you ask) better event than ACL, but ACL is in the end a music festival. SXSW is a large event that includes a music festival. SXSW doesn’t draw the big names of ACL and Bonaroo. It serves a different person. Perhaps the Nashville equivalent would actually be the CMA Awards. But ACL and Bonaroo are actual music festivals.

And yes, one is the urban format while the other is the camping format so it’s similar to the Lolla vs Coachella comparison you mentioned. In all honesty, the ACL lineup was hot garbage this year but generally speaking, it’s the music festival of Austin.

Old 10-31-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
In my honest opinion, SXSW isn’t in the conversation of the rest of the music festivals. It’s a bigger and (depending on who you ask) better event than ACL, but ACL is in the end a music festival. SXSW is a large event that includes a music festival. SXSW doesn’t draw the big names of ACL and Bonaroo. It serves a different person. Perhaps the Nashville equivalent would actually be the CMA Awards. But ACL and Bonaroo are actual music festivals.

And yes, one is the urban format while the other is the camping format so it’s similar to the Lolla vs Coachella comparison you mentioned. In all honesty, the ACL lineup was hot garbage this year but generally speaking, it’s the music festival of Austin.
ACL is solid for what it is with a great location and nice food offerings and whatnot but it is a something-for-everyone generic mega-festival. SXSW (even just the music festival portion, discounting film and tech) is a one-of-a-kind event that is the best in the world at what it is.

Measuring SXSW by headliners is incredibly missing the point of SXSW. It's a festival dedicated to finding the next big thing, not showcasing today's big thing.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
ACL is solid for what it is with a great location and nice food offerings and whatnot but it is a something-for-everyone generic mega-festival. SXSW (even just the music festival portion, discounting film and tech) is a one-of-a-kind event that is the best in the world at what it is.

Measuring SXSW by headliners is incredibly missing the point of SXSW. It's a festival dedicated to finding the next big thing, not showcasing today's big thing.
That’s what I said. I didn’t bring SXSW to the conversation. You did. And I responded with basically you said here shortened.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
That’s what I said. I didn’t bring SXSW to the conversation. You did. And I responded with basically you said here shortened.
No worries, I just personally put more stock into SXSW as a truly unique event over ACL.

Austin is a great city for lovers of music festivals in general. This weekend we have Levitation Fest which is one of my personal favorites..

Old 10-31-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
No worries, I just personally put more stock into SXSW as a truly unique event over ACL.

Austin is a great city for lovers of music festivals in general. This weekend we have Levitation Fest which is one of my personal favorites..
I agree. And as you mention, SXSW is of course the bigger and more unique event. I don’t think it’s worse I just think it’s different as opposed to the ACL/Bonaroo genre of events. If there were an equivalent in Nashville, it would actually be the CMA Awards in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City