Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 02:11 PM

155 posts, read 127,241 times

Advertisements

Nashville also has Belmont, Lipscomb, Fisk, Trevecca Nazarene University, and TSU. Which all are some what prominent. Obviously TSU to a lesser extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Yep UT has the Dell medical school in Austin now. It's brand new and much of the campus is still under construction. I do expect them to turn it into a top ranked school but it will take some time.
Nashville has Vanderbilt, Meharry, Belmont for medical schools and Trevecca and TSU for NPs and PAs. Belmont's medical is also brand new. I expect it to be a top ranked medical school in the future. The largest undergraduate university, MTSU, is a SACs level 4 institution, AACSB accredited, and one of the best Mass Comm. and Music programs in the country (Murfreesboro).

Last edited by Shakeesha; 11-02-2021 at 05:35 PM..

Old 03-12-2022, 10:09 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Default Revisited Austin for Workay.

I had a 5 day work trip out to Austin this last week.

I went last Saturday and spent a couple nights exploring and checking out the city a bit and bars/restaurants, and had some fun. Wrapped up the trip and left late Wednesday.

Compared to Nashville, my opinion and quick takes-
Pros:
--Austin feels bigger and more dominating in terms of tech/business/company growth and office space HQ
--Austin has Tesla, Apple, Dell, Whole Foods, IBM, Indeed, more
--Austin feels like it has a bar/restaurant scene dominated by 20-30 something professionals--just TONS everywhere. It feels like THE city to move to after college for a first tech/digital/white collar gig
--Austin is more ahead in terms of urban amenities right now--than Nashville. There's an urban Target in East Austin, right outside of downtown and 6th street east, a Trader Joe's downtown, a Whole Foods downtown, and a more upscale offering of restaurants/bar districts not as tourist heavy downtown. Nashville has Whole Foods downtown, but needs a Target badly, and a TJ's within its downtown or midtown areas.
--Nashville is about 7-9 years or so behind Austin in terms of growth and boom, is my estimate, but will catch up, I think. The growth in both cities seems super similar
--Austin feels a lot less touristy than Nashville, in general

Cons:
--Austin's road infrastructure is bad. One interstate and multiple "spaghetti US highways" is sort of a mess with traffic and congestion
--Nashville's downtown feels less "sketchy" than Austin's overall. Austin's "dirty 6th" part of 6th street feels grimy, run down with many vacant bar/restaurant/stores and has a ton of illicit vibes goin on
--Although both cities are definitely just absolutely booming, Nashville downtown is much more of a visibly active "cranes in the sky" zone. I was in Nashville in January and counted 12 or 13 cranes up downtown. In Austin, I saw 6 or 7. I KNOW Austin has about 6 or 8 more skyscrapers going up right now than Nashville, but they are probably just in different development stages.
--Nashville's brand attracts more of a celebrity vibe. Lots more celebrities live and are in and around Nashville in general. It's gotta just be the country music capital/entertainment mecca and overall general entertainment vibe and history of the city
--Nashville is newer with its destination as an office/tech/business relocation and growth hub. It is starting its focus and growth there now though, over the past several years it has started gaining traction
--Nashville has 3 pro sports with NFL, NHL and MLS. Austin has MLS now too. But Austin is way behind here for sure.

Similarities:
--East Nashville and East Austin vibe VERY similar. East Austin area (in the 6th street portion) is ahead with amenities though. East Nashville will get there.
--Both cities embrace music, drinking and eating delicious food vibes, and just laid back fun
--Food: Austin BBQ and tacos are INCREDIBLE. Nashville hot chicken and "meat and 3" are INCREDIBLE.
--Both cities are attracting NYC, LA and San Fran world class high end restaurants
--Bars galore in both cities, and both cities offer huge variety of bar and restaurant destinations that are constantly growing and changing
--People are super friendly in both cities and welcoming
--Both cities are just booming and both should continue over the 2020s with crazed growth and development

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 03-12-2022 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-12-2022, 02:35 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
--Although both cities are definitely just absolutely booming, Nashville downtown is much more of a visibly active "cranes in the sky" zone. I was in Nashville in January and counted 12 or 13 cranes up downtown. In Austin, I saw 6 or 7. I KNOW Austin has about 6 or 8 more skyscrapers going up right now than Nashville, but they are probably just in different development stages.
Good post.

Re: the buildings, there are five different 600'+ towers starting construction in the next month or two. Actually 1-2 of these may already be slightly U/C.

98 Red River
415 Colorado
Modern Austin
321 West
The Republic

Old 03-12-2022, 03:36 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
I had a 5 day work trip out to Austin this last week.

I went last Saturday and spent a couple nights exploring and checking out the city a bit and bars/restaurants, and had some fun. Wrapped up the trip and left late Wednesday.

Compared to Nashville, my opinion and quick takes-
Pros:
--Austin feels bigger and more dominating in terms of tech/business/company growth and office space HQ
--Austin has Tesla, Apple, Dell, Whole Foods, IBM, Indeed, more
--Austin feels like it has a bar/restaurant scene dominated by 20-30 something professionals--just TONS everywhere. It feels like THE city to move to after college for a first tech/digital/white collar gig
--Austin is more ahead in terms of urban amenities right now--than Nashville. There's an urban Target in East Austin, right outside of downtown and 6th street east, a Trader Joe's downtown, a Whole Foods downtown, and a more upscale offering of restaurants/bar districts not as tourist heavy downtown. Nashville has Whole Foods downtown, but needs a Target badly, and a TJ's within its downtown or midtown areas.
--Nashville is about 7-9 years or so behind Austin in terms of growth and boom, is my estimate, but will catch up, I think. The growth in both cities seems super similar
--Austin feels a lot less touristy than Nashville, in general

Cons:
--Austin's road infrastructure is bad. One interstate and multiple "spaghetti US highways" is sort of a mess with traffic and congestion
--Nashville's downtown feels less "sketchy" than Austin's overall. Austin's "dirty 6th" part of 6th street feels grimy, run down with many vacant bar/restaurant/stores and has a ton of illicit vibes goin on
--Nashville's brand attracts more of a celebrity vibe. Lots more celebrities live and are in and around Nashville in general. It's gotta just be the country music capital/entertainment mecca and overall general entertainment vibe and history of the city
--Nashville is newer with its destination as an office/tech/business relocation and growth hub. It is starting its focus and growth there now though, over the past several years it has started gaining traction
--Nashville has 3 pro sports with NFL, NHL and MLS. Austin has MLS now too. But Austin is way behind here for sure.

Similarities:
--East Nashville and East Austin vibe VERY similar. East Austin area (in the 6th street portion) is ahead with amenities though. East Nashville will get there.
--Both cities embrace music, drinking and eating delicious food vibes, and just laid back fun
--Food: Austin BBQ and tacos are INCREDIBLE. Nashville hot chicken and "meat and 3" are INCREDIBLE.
--Both cities are attracting NYC, LA and San Fran world class high end restaurants
--Bars galore in both cities, and both cities offer huge variety of bar and restaurant destinations that are constantly growing and changing
--People are super friendly in both cities and welcoming
--Both cities are just booming and both should continue over the 2020s with crazed growth and development
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Nashville's lack of downtown retail is inexcusable at this point. I do expect that to change with the addition of Nashvile Yards, River North, and Peabody Union quickly taking shape. North Gulch still has plenty of room for an urban Target/T.J. Maxx type of development, but time will tell.

Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2022 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-12-2022, 05:18 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Nashville's lack of downtown retail is inexcusable at this point. I do expect that to change with the addition of Nashvile Yards, River North, and Peabody Union quickly taking shape. North Gulch still has plenty of room for an urban Target/T.J. Maxx type of development, but time will tell.
Austin is okay on the grocery store front with two Whole Foods, a Trader Joe's, and a chain of mini grocery stores called Royal Blue (think Pret A Manger or something). What would really be amazing is an urban HEB or Central Market. There are also two urban Targets actually (one on the UT campus in addition to the aforementioned east side location).

That said I wish there was more clothing retailors downtown. There are a few places on 2nd Street but it's very overshadowed by South Congress and the Domain (10 miles north of downtown). One good thing is that South Congress will pretty much be an extension of downtown in a decade (they'll be connected by subway).

Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2022 at 06:26 PM..

Old 03-13-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Good post.

Re: the buildings, there are five different 600'+ towers starting construction in the next month or two. Actually 1-2 of these may already be slightly U/C.

98 Red River
415 Colorado
Modern Austin
321 West
The Republic
Thanks!

That makes sense.

The future tallest in Texas, 98 Red River, I walked right by that development lot while in the Rainey Street district. Good growing area that is loaded with high end office/condo mixed with laid back bar fun.

So Austin will have the tallest in Texas once it's built, @ 1,022 feet. Pretty dang impressive.

Also, the super tall and very nice looking "Sixth and Guadalupe" skyscraper @ 875 feet I passed as well, and it looks to be maybe halfway up so far. I like the look of that one.

Austin's skyscraper construction is very impressive, and it probably has one of the most dynamic construction growth and skyline-changing growth of skyscrapers in the country.

Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2022 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Please keep this about just Austin and Nashville.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Thanks--appreciate it. It was a lot of fun.

I think Nashville is guaranteed to get a Target in either downtown or midtown--or both--within the next 2-4 years.

I think it will go in the Nashville Yards development right downtown, the Gulch, or Peabody Union. In midtown, the upcoming Reed District Development is also an absolutely prime spot for one.

I could also see a Trader Joe's landing in one of those developments. Most likely the Reed District or Gulch, is my guess.

Last edited by JMT; 03-13-2022 at 06:26 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 09:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:

I think Nashville is guaranteed to get a Target in either downtown or midtown--or both--within the next 2-4 years.
Nothing announced yet anywhere in Tennessee for the near future. Target is really going after the college anchored neighborhoods judging by recent announcement in Alabama, California, Missouri and Michigan. Out of 49 new locations set to open over the next 4 years Most are urban City Targets or Target Express if they are still calling them that.

"Upcoming Target Store Locations" https://corporate.target.com/about/l...pcoming-stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City