Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 09:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
Why is that odd? The suburbs of Georgia are beautiful and yards are spacious, but they are extremely inconvenient. The suburbs of the Southwest have 5' building side yard setbacks typically which defeats the whole purpose. Texas suburbs are in the middle of those two extremes.
He said Texas suburbs were his favorite in the US, “let alone the world.” I’m sorry, but that’s a weird thing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 10:25 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Always found TX suburbs as nice of course but souless. When I say suburbs Im not talking the trophy ones necessarily. The flat open topography of the Southwest where its seems brick traditionals are the norm. Only place that can out do the South in being "Southern" .The houses just look like they are just plopped on land and look out of place vs the more hilly green areas with a more variety of housing styles along with the lushness of the area give them a more established looking feel.A mix of East Coast and South

Even in the basic average suburbs of places like in some neighborhoods in the Atlanta areas like Riverdale,McDononough,Douglasville,Conyers,etc they just look more established which gives more of a sense of place feeling.
Of course this is speaking generally,there are always exceptions in both cities

Old 05-07-2021, 10:57 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
To be fair, I think TX pretty much has to do Brick due to how harsh and unpredictable the weather is. Not sure how well a frame house would do here besting our storms, winds, hail, and summers.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
To be fair, I think TX pretty much has to do Brick due to how harsh and unpredictable the weather is. Not sure how well a frame house would do here besting our storms, winds, hail, and summers.
Makes sense but just something that makes it look more monotonous I guess. This is more in the Ausyin and above than in Houston but even Houston, some of the neighborhoods remind me of those in LA. Especially in the lower middle class neighborhoods which look much better in the Atlanta area

Old 05-08-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Makes sense but just something that makes it look more monotonous I guess. This is more in the Ausyin and above than in Houston but even Houston, some of the neighborhoods remind me of those in LA. Especially in the lower middle class neighborhoods which look much better in the Atlanta area
That part is true. The lower/middle class and even unsafe areas in Atlanta can look deceptively safe or well kept. In Houston when you go east or southeast of Downtown you know immediately what areas you’re in. I think in Atlanta the forestry and somewhat uniform scenery between every class of area helps with that. That plus in Houston, those homes deal with flooding and hurricanes where Atlanta may get some bad tropical storms here and there but it’s not on the same level of the environmental abuse Houston’s more characterized neighborhoods have to endure.

In TX I kinda get the whole stereotype against McMansions but I think the reason they exist has to do with how difficult it is to obtain acreage in TX vs GA and how much more in tax one has to pay for that average... so in TX the less acreage and more ‘house’ - the better from a buyer perspective... although municipalities have limits as per how much house can be on a lot (Austin I think is like 40% max?). Anyhow I’m just stating that, it’s not the Piedmont region and there’s probably reasons as to why it’s built like this out here. I get heavy gusts of wind almost every night followed up with random powerful T-Storms, recently endured a hail storm too so for the kind of environment we have I would take a cookie cutter brick or stone vs a characteristic frame. Not saying those aren’t beautiful but it’s probably not the best suite for our environment.

I do property investment part time, in Dallas there are tons and tons of homes built early century which have foundation issues due to the clay soil and have literally seen some so bad where the foundation is literally separating from the unit or warped walls, ect. So there is that too. Texas in general has to prioritize endurance / build quality. Although with the massive boom they have taken less and less to that in lue of mass building homes.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-08-2021 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-08-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
That part is true. The lower/middle class and even unsafe areas in Atlanta can look deceptively safe or well kept. In Houston when you go east or southeast of Downtown you know immediately what areas you’re in. I think in Atlanta the forestry and somewhat uniform scenery between every class of area helps with that. That plus in Houston, those homes deal with flooding and hurricanes where Atlanta may get some bad tropical storms here and there but it’s not on the same level of the environmental abuse Houston’s more characterized neighborhoods have to endure.

In TX I kinda get the whole stereotype against McMansions but I think the reason they exist has to do with how difficult it is to obtain acreage in TX vs GA and how much more in tax one has to pay for that average... so in TX the less acreage and more ‘house’ - the better from a buyer perspective... although municipalities have limits as per how much house can be on a lot (Austin I think is like 40% max?). Anyhow I’m just stating that, it’s not the Piedmont region and there’s probably reasons as to why it’s built like this out here. I get heavy gusts of wind almost every night followed up with random powerful T-Storms, recently endured a hail storm too so for the kind of environment we have I would take a cookie cutter brick or stone vs a characteristic frame. Not saying those aren’t beautiful but it’s probably not the best suite for our environment.

I do property investment part time, in Dallas there are tons and tons of homes built early century which have foundation issues due to the clay soil and have literally seen some so bad where the foundation is literally separating from the unit or warped walls, ect. So there is that too. Texas in general has to prioritize endurance / build quality. Although with the massive boom they have taken less and less to that in lue of mass building homes.
I used to be stationed in San Antonio and Witchta Falls years ago and I remember those crazy sudden gust of wind. Its not doubt it because of the area houses are made in the manor they are made. You would think you would see more house like those in Florida or California in TX with the Spanish tile roofs but you really dont. You can even find that style in Atlanta. Almost every style you can think of

Old 05-09-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I used to be stationed in San Antonio and Witchta Falls years ago and I remember those crazy sudden gust of wind. Its not doubt it because of the area houses are made in the manor they are made. You would think you would see more house like those in Florida or California in TX with the Spanish tile roofs but you really dont. You can even find that style in Atlanta. Almost every style you can think of
Yeah, in terms of housing diversity I agree. I don't truly know the full reason but if I were to guess its probably because how financially difficult it is to be a homeowner in TX due to property-tax. Those non-cookie cutter custom builds add up in costs so now we tack on another $50 - $150k in design, materials, shipping, construction, inspection.. ..and that same house may start pricing potential buyers out vs a comparable cookie-cutter design.. ..I guess they go with whats tried and proven because they know it works and figure an average house is better than staying a renter .. .. thats my guess. I know some affluent suburbs of DFW recently reduced some of the build material / quality restrictions of home construction due to how expensive the final cost of the house was adding up to and making it more difficult for potential buyers to purchase.

The interesting thing about TX is that (until recently) the actual houses don't cost very much but when you go in with a Mortgage, Interest, and Property tax, speaking purely on financial levels, one who could qualify for a $500k House in California, will only be able to do $400k in TX... ...The irony is, that $400k house in TX still gives you alot more house than that $500k house in California. I Think TX mainly found a median for acceptable designs that offer durability and are as 'light' on the wallet as possible while providing as much as they can with as little financial resources as possible. I think thats the main motto here for the avg buyer.. ..because one buying a $300k house here on FHA no down payment is going to end up with a $2,500 monthly mortgage with property tax... ..add building materials and design, making the house more expensive = pricing potential buyers out the market and good bye to en-masse production of homes.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-09-2021 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 05:35 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Unfortunately, I've learned nothing about why denser suburbs are better, guess I'll never know.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:52 PM

163 posts, read 156,009 times
Just curious, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana also use brick construction alot like Texas. I see some post mentioning Texas weather as reason for brick construction. What is the reason for the states between GA and TX? The mentioned states the entry level homes are even brick.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Unfortunately, I've learned nothing about why denser suburbs are better, guess I'll never know.
Wow. Good point you made.Based on definitions especially

Quote:
Urban areas are very developed, meaning there is a density of human structures such as houses, commercial buildings, roads, bridges, and railways. "Urban area" can refer to towns, cities, and suburbs.
Quote:
Suburban areas are lower density areas that separate residential and commercial areas from one another. They are either part of a city or urban area, or exist as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city. As cars became the dominant way for people to get to work, suburbs grew.
Personally I think a suburb that is well designed is not always dense. Some of the highest rates suburbs in America tend to have just the right balance of urbanity in design,functionality for less dense living like Beltline type trails,sidewalks everywhere,lots of public green spaces, aesthesticly pleasing details and access to the main large city.
People moving to suburbs are looking for density but some urbanity whihc does not have to include density
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City