Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Best Upscale Suburbs
Alpharetta / Johns Creek / Roswell (Atlanta) 13 12.15%
Birmingham / West Bloomfield / Bloomfield Hills (Detroit) 11 10.28%
Boca Raton (Miami) 5 4.67%
Centennial (Denver) 0 0%
Edina / Eden Prairie (Minneapolis) 2 1.87%
Fishers / Carmel (Indianapolis) 1 0.93%
Franklin / Brentwood (Nashville) 8 7.48%
Hoover / Vestavia Hills (Birmingham) 0 0%
Irvine / Costa Mesa / Newport Beach (Los Angeles) 5 4.67%
Main Line (Philadelphia) 8 7.48%
Reston / Herndon / Sterling / Ashburn (Washington DC) 3 2.80%
North Scottsdale (Phoenix) 8 7.48%
Shaker Heights / Beachwood (Cleveland) 2 1.87%
The Woodlands (Houston) 5 4.67%
Town & Country / Creve Coeur (St. Louis) 2 1.87%
West Plano / Frisco (Dallas) 11 10.28%
Other 23 21.50%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 12:59 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I think Bellevue WA would fit the bill (if we're looking at it as a suburb). Top rated schools, great neighborhoods and park/trail systems. The most upscale shopping available in the state. Lots of white collar and tech jobs. Direct rail to DT Seattle starting up soon. Views/topography are great too.
On my one visit so far to Seattle, in 2006 (when my brother lived in Woodinville), only the absence of the Space Needle kept me from confusing downtown Bellevue for downtown Seattle.

Bellevue has some absolutely gorgeous areas, and East Main Street retains what must have once been Bellevue's small-town scale, but one of the most urban edge cities in the country now lies immediately to East Main Street's north. In terms of form, I'd say that Bellevue has shed the "suburban" label, even though it is still a Seattle suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 05:18 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
On my one visit so far to Seattle, in 2006 (when my brother lived in Woodinville), only the absence of the Space Needle kept me from confusing downtown Bellevue for downtown Seattle.

Bellevue has some absolutely gorgeous areas, and East Main Street retains what must have once been Bellevue's small-town scale, but one of the most urban edge cities in the country now lies immediately to East Main Street's north. In terms of form, I'd say that Bellevue has shed the "suburban" label, even though it is still a Seattle suburb.
It’s a special place for sure. Super pricey though

Old 05-12-2021, 07:29 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I think you're referencing Chicagoland as a whole, but just in case you aren't overly familiar, the North Shore of Chicago is about as obnoxiously wealthy as it gets. Keep an eye out for New Trier bumper stickers on Range Rovers in Nantucket. I'm not kidding, you'll find one almost instantly.

Several of these towns are perennial top 100 wealthiest in the U.S. Talking median income levels of Dover, MA or Scarborough, NY. Towns with almost exclusively $1M - $4M SFH listings. Per capita income well into the $100s.

Homes like this line Sheridan/the shore line: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M75286-65611

I think you're doing a disservice to yourself if you believe villages like Kenilworth or Winnetka aren't over the top. You'll see more 2x the luxury cars and designer shoes than anywhere in Massachusetts. May be that the consumption power is simply higher in IL, but it can be loud money.
Not denying the extreme wealth in some Chicago's burbs, but I felt a more down-to-Earth, understated vibe in even the wealthiest areas, similar to the Main Line. Of course there are nice cars and insane houses, but rarely overwhelming in attitude, unlike The Hamptons, West Coast, and DMV.

Southeastern PA does have Quaker roots, and maybe the Midwest atmosphere adds to Chicago?

Not to say you won't run into snobbery or elitism, I mean overall, the air is fresher on The Northshore and Main Line. AND, I think both areas are still underrated from a national standpoint on their status as top tier areas in every metric of desirability - Schools, economy, transit, architecture, series of connected quaint villages, lack of highways and sprawl, somewhat affordable, parks, notable institutions, access to city, etc.

(I am in Chicago every month, and was stationed in Wake Forest a while back, explored extensively. I grew-up right near the Main Line and still frequent the area).

Old 05-12-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
@Phlly posters.. Okay throw in Maine Line too lol. I meant to put it but I was just throwing out some metro areas, and it slipped my mind. Also I think Main Line ran away with the prestigious poll because it is the best bang for your buck, as well as being top tier with the other areas. You can live lavishly while paying 1/2 as mch as MW, GC, LI and/or NNJ. But that thread should be tied into this one since the data is there.

I still think those Metros/suburban areas would beat out any of the options on the poll if COL wasnt a factor.
Certainly more for your money, but I don't know about "living lavishly for 1/2 and much". As a whole real estate on The Main Line is not that much lower. You will find more extreme $10M+ homes in the latter areas, but a standard colonial in any of those areas will run you a lot - maybe $700k (Main Line) vs. $900k (other areas).

But COL aside, I still don't see any obvious advantages the other areas have.

Nitpicking a little

Last edited by cpomp; 05-12-2021 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-12-2021, 07:56 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Certainly more for your money, but I don't know about "living lavishly for 1/2 and much". As a whole real estate on The Main Line is not that much lower. You will find more extreme $10M+ homes in the latter areas, but a standard colonial in any of those areas will run you a lot - maybe $700k (Main Line) vs. $900k (other areas).

Nitpicking a little
True. Very true. I went on Zillow and actually looked.. Main Line was much higher than I thought lmao.

Nowhere near Boston, NNJ or LI prices (Thank god...) but I did Sales price history.. they are climbing fast.

So yeah, maybe its time to lump it into a similar COL bar as the others. Therefore, not TOO much advantage on Main Line. However, I am seeing a stark price difference in Chi North burbs over the Coasts.

Il retain Chicago in the top 5 that meet OP reqs.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:06 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Nitpicking a little
Exactly. And honestly, the price appreciation on the Main Line at the moment is through the roof.

I know that's the case in many places, but I think any vestige of "affordability" that the ML had in comparison to other East Coast affluent suburbs is very close to going completely out the window, especially with heavier pandemic/telework related in-migration from more expensive metros like NYC and DC.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
True. Very true. I went on Zillow and actually looked.. Main Line was much higher than I thought lmao.

Nowhere near Boston, NNJ or LI prices (Thank god...) but I did Sales price history.. they are climbing fast.

So yeah, maybe its time to lump it into a similar COL bar as the others. Therefore, not TOO much advantage on Main Line. However, I am seeing a stark price difference in Chi North burbs over the Coasts.

Yea, I follow real estate closely, over the past 2 years the Main Line has creeped up (and more teardowns). Seeing $1M colonials is becoming the norm, and most go under contract in days.

But yea, still somewhat advantageous pricing, and considering you get similar amenities to the other burbs you mentioned. And yes to Chicago North Shore burbs (as a whole).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. And honestly, the price appreciation on the Main Line at the moment is through the roof.

I know that's the case in many places, but I think any vestige of "affordability" that the ML had in comparison to other East Coast affluent suburbs is very close to going completely out the window, especially with heavier pandemic/telework related in-migration from more expensive metros like NYC and DC.
Yup, my friend in real estate out there says its become extremely competitive, even in higher price ranges ($1.5M+). I wonder how this will continue in the coming years as the pandemic subsides. He said teardowns are a thing again too.

I agree, is it still somewhat advantageous, as I mentioned above, but they're all very expensive areas and becoming a more moot comparison over time. (Referring to the Main Line, not all suburbs in the region).

Old 05-12-2021, 12:11 PM

899 posts, read 517,468 times
Quote:

I never noticed the Chicago suburbs were climbing. Suburbs like Wheaton and Hinsdale appeal to me a lot. But if "climbing" is what you're looking for, the Salt Lake City suburbs are perfect. High growth, low crime, and good prices.

Davis County:
Layton, South Weber, Kaysville / Fruit Heights, Farmington, Centerville

Salt Lake County:
East Side of Salt Lake City, Millcreek, Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, South Jordan, Sandy, Draper

Utah County:
Saratoga Springs, Orem, Provo, Lehi, Highland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City