Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city or State would you have a second home in if you have a primary home in Europe and yo
Miami Beach, Florida 11 20.37%
Palm Beach, Florida 6 11.11%
Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach/Redondo Beach, Los Angeles (LA) 14 25.93%
Atherton, San Francisco (SF) 5 9.26%
New York 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 09:20 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Palm Beach—specifically Palm Beach island and as close as you can get to Worth Avenue up to the area near Breakers Hotel and The Meat Market restaurant, along South County Road and/or Royal Poinciana Way, would be good from a walkability standpoint. Not quite enough happening for my tastes but more than satisfactory for the OP....one minor correction: JFK closer to 3 hours by plane.

Glad money not an object for OP as Palm Beach might be/have been the hottest market in the entire nation.

https://palmbeachbusinessandlifestyl...in-palm-beach/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...en%3f_amp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.man...-record-222719

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Based on what you've told us about yourself, if I were you say...6 years ago... I would have easily said New York. The Fashion industry is there, Hollywood, Wall Street, etc. But now post pandemic, things have obviously shifted. If you're based in the fashion business, it isn't a smart idea to live out west because of the time difference. You'll have to be in Europe or South America often and getting unto both from the west coast adds four to five hours to your commute. Not to mention the insane politics that have turned CA into a crime ridden homeless encampment. You'll be taxed over 45% of your income and get nothing in return.

The best place for large single home mansions with nice views and a high quality lifestyle is easily Palm Beach. It traditionally has skewed older but has many younger families and crowds now due to the pandemic exodus. It's quiet and pristine, lots of nice restaurants, the beach is beautiful, and the city caters to a wealthy class. Palm Beach airport takes you to New York in as little as 2 hours. If you drive or take the train down to Fort Lauderdale airport, you can fly to any European country in under 10 hours.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-28-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 09:43 AM

69 posts, read 58,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Based on what you've told us about yourself, if I were you say...6 years ago... I would have easily said New York. The Fashion industry is there, Hollywood, Wall Street, etc. But now post pandemic, things have obviously shifted. If you're based in the fashion business, it isn't a smart idea to live out west because of the time difference. You'll have to be in Europe or South America often and getting to both from the west coast adds four to five hours to your commute. Not to mention the insane politics that have turned CA into a crime ridden homeless encampment. You'll be taxed over 45% of your income and get nothing in return.

The best place for large single home mansions with nice views and a high quality lifestyle is easily Palm Beach. It traditionally has skewed older but has many younger families and crowds now due to the pandemic exodus. It's quiet and pristine, lots of nice restaurants, the beach is beautiful, and the city caters to a wealthy class. Palm Beach airport takes you to New York in as little as 2 hours. If you drive or take the train down to Fort Lauderdale airport, you can fly to any European country in under 10 hours.
Thanks, can you get mansions like this in New York and the same 'vibe'? I don't want to live like sardines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXGKZl66Fo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Yeah, Palm Beach—specifically Palm Beach island and as close as you can get to Worth Avenue up to the area near Breakers Hotel and The Meat Market restaurant, along South County Road and/or Royal Poinciana Way, would be good from a walkability standpoint. Not quite enough happening for my tastes but more than satisfactory for the OP....one minor correction: JFK closer to 3 hours by plane.

Glad money not an object for OP as Palm Beach might be/have been the hottest market in the entire nation.

https://palmbeachbusinessandlifestyl...in-palm-beach/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...en%3f_amp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.man...-record-222719
Thanks, is that cause Palm Beach is laid-back compared to New York? That suits me.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:57 AM

Definitely more laid back and suburban (think Hamptons), not urban, with large estates and Uber wealthy residents—a good number of whom own yachts (if that matters to you). A bit more happening than another wealthy enclave located 30 minutes up the coast, Jupiter Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticLocales View Post
Thanks, can you get mansions like this in New York and the same 'vibe'? I don't want to live like sardines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXGKZl66Fo

Thanks, is that cause Palm Beach is laid-back compared to New York? That suits me.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:31 AM

69 posts, read 58,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Definitely more laid back and suburban (think Hamptons), not urban, with large estates and Uber wealthy residents—a good number of whom own yachts (if that matters to you). A bit more happening than another wealthy enclave located 30 minutes up the coast, Jupiter Island.
That's wonderful. However, I just learnt that Miami is going underwater and will be gone within 80 years. That shows me Miami is more of a holiday destination rather than a second home?

Old 05-28-2021, 10:53 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
First -- Based on your backstory...I would not come to C-D for advice.
Second -- You need an agent.
Third -- With no budget, I would think that somewhere between Boston and Cape May would work for a 2nd home. You might get a NYC townhouse as a smaller, cozier, third place.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:59 AM

You gonna be around in 80 years?....is Amsterdam under water?....yes, Miami and Palm Beach turn into the Sahara Desert meets Mars from March 1 - November 1; nobody lives here full time ...SMH ....most of the other options you listed have been impacted by climate within recent years. Can’t tell you what life will be like in 5 years, let alone 80. Starting to question if this is a serious topic or troll post, especially if worried about encountering or being eaten by an alligator.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-28-2021 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-28-2021, 11:03 AM

453 posts, read 345,036 times
The East coast of the US. West coast locations add an additional ~4-5 hours of flight time from Europe, each way. Enough travel back and forth to warrant a second home there seems less likely due to the long flight time. With the time spent in the airport ahead of the flight plus the time it takes to go through customs, you are basically losing a day and a half to two days of your life traveling per trip. Boston is a good option as well but was not listed in your poll. For example, flights to Paris are about 7 hours from NY or Boston, 9 hours from Miami and 11 hours from San Francisco. There are many direct flights to Europe from the NYC area, including Newark airport in New Jersey which can be reached easily from "less crowded" areas of NJ.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:06 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticLocales View Post
Thanks for all the responses.

These are the things that matters to me most:
(6) I don't like creepy animals, crocidiles/alligators/snakes etc.
You can forget Florida, then. It has copious amounts of snakes and alligators.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:19 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
East Coast. Convenience factor. NY or Florida, pick your poison.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Poor choices were offered. If I was based in Britain, I would choose the Cayman Islands.

From the rest of Europe, either a Caribbean Island or Florida, factoring proximity to Europe.

If I was going to travel for months at a time, I would choose Hawaii.

EDIT: With family in NY and connections to the fashion industry, New York seems logical unless you prefer tropical.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-28-2021 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Punctuation repair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City