Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city or State would you have a second home in if you have a primary home in Europe and yo
Miami Beach, Florida 11 20.37%
Palm Beach, Florida 6 11.11%
Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach/Redondo Beach, Los Angeles (LA) 14 25.93%
Atherton, San Francisco (SF) 5 9.26%
New York 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 08:04 AM

69 posts, read 58,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Alligators and snakes live on land. Google "Palm Beach alligator attack" and you will find multiple accounts.

And Florida has some gigantic snakes compared to the snakes in California.

Will you see them? Unlikely but possible. I have heard from Florida natives that it's common knowledge that you should not walk too close to pools or puddles alongside the road because they could be harboring alligators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Depends. Does the property have ponds on it? Is it close to any waterways like canals? If so, then you have an increased risk of seeing alligators.

If the property has tall grass areas and/or backs up to open space, you'll have an increased risk of seeing snakes.
This is a major turn off for me. How can you live with your family if there's threats like this around literally on your doorstep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When you mention the highlighted place, are you referring to the city or the state as a whole? I ask because you do have some celebrities that actually have second homes in other parts of the state in more lesser known, but nice locales.
I don't know about New York's areas. My research has been primarily on California. Where are large single home mansions in NY that look like LA or Miami mansions because that's how I'd make my house in NY if I decided to go ahead with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 08:24 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,806 times
Ah, the problems of the very wealthy. Atherton or the Upper East side for a second home. What gets me is that if you are that wealthy, why are you on City Data and not on the phone with some sort of realtor in the different cities listed? All these places are very different and not to everyones taste; only you know your taste and your lifestyle choice. A $6 million house in Atherton is going to be a very different lifestyle than a penthouse on the ocean in Miami. We all know what we like, and what geography and climate we prefer.

A pointless post imo, just sayn'.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Ah, the problems of the very wealthy. Atherton or the Upper East side for a second home. What gets me is that if you are that wealthy, why are you on City Data and not on the phone with some sort of realtor in the different cities listed? All these places are very different and not to everyones taste; only you know your taste and your lifestyle choice. A $6 million house in Atherton is going to be a very different lifestyle than a penthouse on the ocean in Miami. We all know what we like, and what geography and climate we prefer.

Just initial research being conducted. I will visit the places before I buy. I can even blind buy if I wanted to. Thanks for your concern.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Definitely more laid back and suburban (think Hamptons), not urban, with large estates and Uber wealthy residents—a good number of whom own yachts (if that matters to you). A bit more happening than another wealthy enclave located 30 minutes up the coast, Jupiter Island.
Is the Hamptons most ideal for NY?

Old 05-31-2021, 08:37 AM

2,337 posts, read 2,284,327 times
If you don’t like snakes, alligators, etc then South Florida might not work. I don’t think those will be a problem, but you’ll probably hate the iguanas.

Here are a few ideas:
LA - Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Hollywood Hills
NY - Westchester County, Southern CT, Hamptons, other portions of Long Island

If you’re okay with somewhere smaller, Aspen could be an interesting option.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:13 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post

I love the assumption that this site is only for the working and middle class. There are more than a couple of wealthy people on C-D. They use the site to get a feel for the communities they're moving to just like everyone else. A realtor will tell you what you want to hear but the people who actually live there or know of the area will tell you the real deal.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:36 AM

676 posts, read 647,722 times
I also think it's amusing people think the ultra wealthy are completely disconnected from the rest in the world in today's day and age and only interact with people (especially anonymously - who cares!) via a proxy, such as an assistant or concierge.

I personally know of a few very high net worth ($10-30 million) individuals - mostly scions or heirs to very successful companies who are online very very often, have something on their device called a smartphone, that is called "Google", and can just sign onto any website and start asking questions, even Quora or Reddit. I also personally know a couple of ultra high net worth (UHNWs) with 50m+ in net assets that keep a low public profile for privacy reasons with social media, but browse the internet plenty especially during the pandemic and post anonymously on a few random sites frequently looking for advice and feedback. It can be a viable second opinion to yes-men that you hire to sell you curated services.

The OP here isn't looking to buy a country, it's actually a very reasonable likelihood this is some business heir/heiress working in fashion and their list of criteria is actually pretty reasonable. If I was UHNW or even just VHNW I'd be a lot more specific and picky.

The explosion of the internet - and especially of smartphones and social media - has made the world actually a more equitable place where the super rich mingle with the working class, if only virtually. Rest assured, they will still be living in person in their private villas and traveling via jets or at the very least, first class passenger flight cabins.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:39 AM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticLocales View Post
This is a major turn off for me. How can you live with your family if there's threats like this around literally on your doorstep?
People do it all the time. Florida isn't my cup of tea (primarily due to their monotonous, humid climate and dearth of interesting topography), but that doesn't stop others from going there.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I love the assumption that this site is only for the working and middle class. There are more than a couple of wealthy people on C-D. They use the site to get a feel for the communities they're moving to just like everyone else. A realtor will tell you what you want to hear but the people who actually live there or know of the area will tell you the real deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
I also think it's amusing people think the ultra wealthy are completely disconnected from the rest in the world in today's day and age and only interact with people (especially anonymously - who cares!) via a proxy, such as an assistant or concierge.

I personally know of a few very high net worth ($10-30 million) individuals - mostly scions or heirs to very successful companies who are online very very often, have something on their device called a smartphone, that is called "Google", and can just sign onto any website and start asking questions, even Quora or Reddit. I also personally know a couple of ultra high net worth (UHNWs) with 50m+ in net assets that keep a low public profile for privacy reasons with social media, but browse the internet plenty especially during the pandemic and post anonymously on a few random sites frequently looking for advice and feedback. It can be a viable second opinion to yes-men that you hire to sell you curated services.

The OP here isn't looking to buy a country, it's actually a very reasonable likelihood this is some business heir/heiress working in fashion and their list of criteria is actually pretty reasonable. If I was UHNW or even just VHNW I'd be a lot more specific and picky.

The explosion of the internet - and especially of smartphones and social media - has made the world actually a more equitable place where the super rich mingle with the working class, if only virtually. Rest assured, they will still be living in person in their private villas and traveling via jets or at the very least, first class passenger flight cabins.
Well said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
If you don’t like snakes, alligators, etc then South Florida might not work. I don’t think those will be a problem, but you’ll probably hate the iguanas.

Here are a few ideas:
LA - Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Hollywood Hills
NY - Westchester County, Southern CT, Hamptons, other portions of Long Island

If you’re okay with somewhere smaller, Aspen could be an interesting option.
Now there's iguanas too? I don't like these kinds of animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City