Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 04:41 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,135,388 times

Advertisements

Bias on my end , Hattiesburg. I used to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 06:08 PM

2,261 posts, read 2,203,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Jobs: Florence
education: Hattiesburg
amenities: Florence
shopping: Florence
future: Florence

I would choose Florence. South Carolina is in much better shape and actually has growing, thriving cities. One of my good friends lives in Florence and you can tell there is a strong sense of community and is more friendly.

Hattiesburg is growing as well. Of course USM is big part of that.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:43 AM

318 posts, read 485,199 times
Florence SC based on it location and the metrics that you outlined

Old 08-15-2021, 02:52 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,266,574 times
I've heard that Hattiesburg is a nice city to live in. Doesn't Hattiesburg have one of the healthiest economies when it comes to the larger cities in the state?

Old 08-15-2021, 09:02 PM

3,509 posts, read 3,437,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I've heard that Hattiesburg is a nice city to live in. Doesn't Hattiesburg have one of the healthiest economies when it comes to the larger cities in the state?
Looking over stats for bigger sized Mississippi cities, I'd say that is true. Plus looking over crime stats(per the City Data crime section, on each city's CD profile page) for both there and Florence, the crime rate in Hattiesburg isn't as bad as Florence. So that would be one point, in favor of Hattiesburg.

Another factor, is that it has direct Amtrak access(via the Crescent long distance train) to New Orleans, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, and NYC as examples.

I suspect this is one of these comparisons, where you could find points in favor of either place. I liked Hattiesburg when I street viewed it, and would like to street view Florence more down the road myself. Hope some of the other posters aren't underrating Hattiesburg, due to it being in Mississippi. Problem is that I doubt many posters have visited both cities, to give a fair comparison between both.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:51 AM

17,918 posts, read 13,864,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Looking over stats for bigger sized Mississippi cities, I'd say that is true. Plus looking over crime stats(per the City Data crime section, on each city's CD profile page) for both there and Florence, the crime rate in Hattiesburg isn't as bad as Florence. So that would be one point, in favor of Hattiesburg.

Another factor, is that it has direct Amtrak access(via the Crescent long distance train) to New Orleans, Atlanta, Charlotte, DC, and NYC as examples.

I suspect this is one of these comparisons, where you could find points in favor of either place. I liked Hattiesburg when I street viewed it, and would like to street view Florence more down the road myself. Hope some of the other posters aren't underrating Hattiesburg, due to it being in Mississippi. Problem is that I doubt many posters have visited both cities, to give a fair comparison between both.
Trying to claim that one small city in the south is "friendlier" than another small city in the south based on having "been there" seems kind of a reach.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Trying to claim that one small city in the south is "friendlier" than another small city in the south based on having "been there" seems kind of a reach.
Keep in mind I NEVER made such a claim about which city had more friendlier residents, and that was probably another poster who did.

And honestly, such a question if asked would be very hard to properly answer, short of someone living in each mentioned city for a few years. Or say like if someone VERY often visited both cities(like say as part of a job, or visiting friends/relatives), to get a true sense of this. And NOT so much someone who one time ever stopped in one of these cities briefly (like say sonewhere off of an expressway exit), but not long enough(and say never again revisited) to get a true sense of both cities. Carry on with this discussion....

Old 08-19-2021, 11:30 PM

17,918 posts, read 13,864,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Keep in mind I NEVER made such a claim about which city had more friendlier residents, and that was probably another poster who did.

And honestly, such a question if asked would be very hard to properly answer, short of someone living in each mentioned city for a few years. Or say like if someone VERY often visited both cities(like say as part of a job, or visiting friends/relatives), to get a true sense of this. And NOT so much someone who one time ever stopped in one of these cities briefly (like say sonewhere off of an expressway exit), but not long enough(and say never again revisited) to get a true sense of both cities. Carry on with this discussion....
Yes, I'm sorry. I was trying to support your point and neglected to quote the post claiming that Florence was "friendlier".

Old 08-19-2021, 11:36 PM

4,278 posts, read 8,207,154 times
I lived in Florence from Nov 13 to May 2016, I wouldn't redo it, that is for sure!

Old 08-21-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, I'm sorry. I was trying to support your point and neglected to quote the post claiming that Florence was "friendlier".
Okay, gotcha. I see what you were trying to say, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City