Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most upscale
Phoenix 10 19.23%
Atlanta 14 26.92%
Dallas 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 01:57 PM

157 posts, read 137,402 times

Advertisements

I think Atlanta feels the most upscale. Phoenix is in the intermountain west which is the complete opposite of luxury. Dallas has too many trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 02:27 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
I think Atlanta feels the most upscale. Phoenix is in the intermountain west which is the complete opposite of luxury. Dallas has too many trucks.
I disagree with your assessment.
First Atlanta has its poor areas and its share of trucks.
Second DFW has tons and tons of wealth. Easily one of the cities with the most ultra wealthy.
3rd there are quite a few Intermountain wealthy enclaves. Phoenix has its share of wealth.

I first visited Phoenix 20 years ago and it was upscale then, and a zillion new residents later it is even more so

Old 06-17-2021, 02:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
lol umm… DFW is a top 10 metro in the World for Billionaires.

Atlanta has its share of what’s considered not luxurious and has those areas more in your face than Dallas.

In Dallas, having Uptown/Turtle Creek/Park Cities so close to downtown Dallas gives it an upscale feel.

Old 06-17-2021, 02:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Something to notate..

Scottsdale is very well to do.. and perhaps the most well to do "suburban area" between the three cities...

Scottsdale though is also a very very large bedroom community for wealthy retirees from both the Northeast, Upper Midwest and also parts of California who do not care for the beach life and want to escape the winter cold months and they park their money there. Many own second homes here... and spend only a few months out of the year visiting.

And this is a major reason it attracts so much wealth... just as Palm Springs does for wealthy Californians.

I voted Dallas though. While Phoenix has Scottsdale. Overall Phoenix wealth is pretty contained and the Phoenix metro is never that highly ranked with median income....

I also am aware, Scottsdale is a wealthy resort destination and not necessarily people who live their full time.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:04 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
lol umm… DFW is a top 10 metro in the World for Billionaires.

Atlanta has its share of what’s considered not luxurious and has those areas more in your face than Dallas.

In Dallas, having Uptown/Turtle Creek/Park Cities so close to downtown Dallas gives it an upscale feel.
I can't find that data? According to this, only SF and NYC are in the top 10:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/map...onaire-cities/

Dallas is indeed 9th among citizens who search for pickup trucks, not sure if that includes burbs:

https://www.usedcars.com/advice/car-...p-trucks-4047/

Now, want to see where Dallas ranks in per capita income? Having the most billionaires, which Dallas doesn't, doesn't make you the most upscale anyway.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I can't find that data? According to this, only SF and NYC are in the top 10:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/map...onaire-cities/

Dallas is indeed 9th among citizens who search for pickup trucks, not sure if that includes burbs:

https://www.usedcars.com/advice/car-...p-trucks-4047/

Now, want to see where Dallas ranks in per capita income? Having the most billionaires, which Dallas doesn't, doesn't make you the most upscale anyway.
You are looking at millionaires.

This is the list he may be referring to

https://businesstech.co.za/news/weal...es-per-capita/

It shows DFW at 9 in the world for ultra wealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Why isn't the Houston metro and the Miami metro on the poll?
Miami and Houston are 10 and 11 but I guess the OP was only comparing certain cities.

Atlanta and Phoenix were not in the top 20 so I'm not sure where they rank.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,729 times
And to the thread, while having an ultra wealthy population contributes to upscale, it doesn’t exhaust it. For example, certain cities have old money cultures that don’t put much stock into shiny new things. So let’s not make the false equivocation of more old money equaling a place feeling more upscale.

Old 06-17-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You are looking at millionaires.

This is the list he may be referring to

https://businesstech.co.za/news/weal...es-per-capita/

It shows DFW at 9 in the world for ultra wealthy

Miami and Houston are 10 and 11 but I guess the OP was only comparing certain cities.

Atlanta and Phoenix were not in the top 20 so I'm not sure where they rank.
millionaire status doesn’t necessarily constitute the only upscale-building attribute of a city. People who make 100k can afford luxury items. Throwing age in, younger people are likely to peacock their with income in a way that older ppl don’t. I could go on. But plenty of things like this contribute to upscale, not merely having a collection of millionaires. This is why I asked which one of these “felt” more upscale.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
millionaire status doesn’t necessarily constitute the only upscale-building attribute of a city. People who make 100k can afford luxury items. Throwing age in, younger people are likely to peacock their with income in a way that older ppl don’t. I could go on. But plenty of things like this contribute to upscale, not merely having a collection of millionaires. This is why I asked which one of these “felt” more upscale.
I never said it was.
A poster stated they could not find anything to support another poster's claim and I provided the link that may have been what the poster was claiming.

I was not arguing that line.

If you look at my post before that I simply said that there's plenty of wealth in DFW. I didn't even make mention of which I thought was wealthier in that post

Old 06-17-2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I never said it was.
A poster stated they could not find anything to support another poster's claim and I provided the link that may have been what the poster was claiming.

I was not arguing that line.

If you look at my post before that I simply said that there's plenty of wealth in DFW. I didn't even make mention of which I thought was wealthier in that post
Noted

Maybe I should’ve specified for areas within metros to compare. I still like Scottsdale on video. It looks like a beachless South Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City