Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most upscale
Phoenix 10 19.23%
Atlanta 14 26.92%
Dallas 28 53.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 06:06 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You are looking at millionaires.

This is the list he may be referring to

https://businesstech.co.za/news/weal...es-per-capita/

It shows DFW at 9 in the world for ultra wealthy

Miami and Houston are 10 and 11 but I guess the OP was only comparing certain cities.

Atlanta and Phoenix were not in the top 20 so I'm not sure where they rank.
R1070's original post said that Dallas was 9th in the world in number of billionaires. I posted two links that stated otherwise. You just posted a link, and read the url that highlights millionaires per capita in the world. Impressive, but not what he/she was referencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 06:09 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Something to notate..

Scottsdale is very well to do.. and perhaps the most well to do "suburban area" between the three cities...

Scottsdale though is also a very very large bedroom community for wealthy retirees from both the Northeast, Upper Midwest and also parts of California who do not care for the beach life and want to escape the winter cold months and they park their money there. Many own second homes here... and spend only a few months out of the year visiting.

And this is a major reason it attracts so much wealth... just as Palm Springs does for wealthy Californians.

I voted Dallas though. While Phoenix has Scottsdale. Overall Phoenix wealth is pretty contained and the Phoenix metro is never that highly ranked with median income....

I also am aware, Scottsdale is a wealthy resort destination and not necessarily people who live their full time.
There are suburban areas of Dallas that would rival Scottsdale as far as resident wealth but there aren't swanky like Scottsdale as far as amenities. And while there are obviously swanky parts of suburban Dallas they are in cities that don't have the residential wealth of Scottsdale.

I'm not aware that Phoenix has anything like University Park and adjacent areas like Dallas has.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:16 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
lol umm… DFW is a top 10 metro in the World for Billionaires.

Atlanta has its share of what’s considered not luxurious and has those areas more in your face than Dallas.

In Dallas, having Uptown/Turtle Creek/Park Cities so close to downtown Dallas gives it an upscale feel.
Please explain.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:09 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There are suburban areas of Dallas that would rival Scottsdale as far as resident wealth but there aren't swanky like Scottsdale as far as amenities. And while there are obviously swanky parts of suburban Dallas they are in cities that don't have the residential wealth of Scottsdale.

I'm not aware that Phoenix has anything like University Park and adjacent areas like Dallas has.

I mean I voted Dallas.... not sure what your point is? I said... between the three metros. I would definitely consider Dallas the most well to do overall.

Scottsdale is a very very wealthy community. But is also a major tourist destination with wealth pouring in from the Northeast and Uppermidwest who desire a warmer climate in the winter, without the beach culture of say Palm Springs.

In terms of cities overall:

NYC

LA
SF

CHI
BOS
MIA - mostly international wealth not full time residents.

DC

PHL
DAL
ATL
SEA

The rest....

Old 06-17-2021, 09:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I can't find that data? According to this, only SF and NYC are in the top 10:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/map...onaire-cities/

Dallas is indeed 9th among citizens who search for pickup trucks, not sure if that includes burbs:

https://www.usedcars.com/advice/car-...p-trucks-4047/

Now, want to see where Dallas ranks in per capita income? Having the most billionaires, which Dallas doesn't, doesn't make you the most upscale anyway.
What’s the deal with people having trucks? Some trucks are more expensive than some “luxury” vehicles. A Ford Raptor starts in the mid-60s price range for instance.

There’s a lot of trucks in Texas and there’s a lot in Georgia as well. It’s not a bad thing if someone has a pickup truck. Both states have metros that have large suburban and exurban areas.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:34 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

The Biltmore/Camelback Corridor and Paradise Valley. North Scottsdale and Carefree should be included as well.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:25 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Phoenix has enough wealth and flashiness to support a Bugatti Dealer. That’s a big deal. We don’t have one in Atlanta and in 2021 we are considered one of the most flashy cities out there.

Never been to Phoenix, but Scottsdale seems to have better upscale restaraunts than both cities when I compare on Yelp. The people I talk from there actually think it’s a big deal. It may have something to do with all the wealthy Cali people relocating there. I don’t think it’s an odd choice.
Sounds like Scottsdale is where the wealthiest concentrate in Phoenix metro area. In DFW MSA the wealthy enclaves are more spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City