Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose No More Than 3: Which are best for beach tourism?
Connecticut 2 0.97%
Delaware 17 8.25%
Florida 166 80.58%
Georgia 12 5.83%
Maine 19 9.22%
Maryland 4 1.94%
Massachusetts 44 21.36%
New Hampshire 1 0.49%
New Jersey 62 30.10%
New York 16 7.77%
North Carolina 84 40.78%
Rhode Island 10 4.85%
South Carolina 95 46.12%
Virginia 29 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 01:19 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
There are beaches in the Hamptons? I always imagined the place as just lines of mansions right up against the water.

Looking at pictures now, and I guess my mental image of the setting of the Great Gatsby was just wrong. You learn something new every day!

Thinking about it further, I just read "rich directional place on Long Island" and translated to "the Hamptons". Are East Egg and West Egg based on some other LI locale?
There are beaches in hamptons. Most are private, but there some good ones. But it really doesnt match up with Mass beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 01:44 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
How Georgia and Virginia compare to Mass ?

Old 06-27-2021, 01:46 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Li and nj over ma?
NJ got decent beaches for Northeast like Wildwood, Seaside Heights.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
How Georgia and Virginia compare to Mass ?
Mass is more quaint and more sandy beach coastline. Its more resorty and upscale than VA or GA. VA is more for younger people and would be great for a Family. But the quantity isnt there.

Massachusetts beaches have a little bit for everyone. Provincetown is an LGBT/Portuguese haven at the end of the cape, Welfleet Beaches are cliffy and breathetaking, National Seashore is one a kind, Mayflower and Dennis Beaches are white sandy all the way up to Plymouth. MV and Nantucket are exlusive victorian islands. MV is very family oriented. Both are quaint but pricey. South Shore is like Long Island beaches, the Spit, drive up boat restaurants. Them North Shore MA is typical new england beaches.. rocky, scenic, fisherman wharfs etc. quaint and cute downtowns on the beach all the way up past Portland ME.

The one thing MA lacks is an equivalent of an Asbury Park or Wildwood. No piers or boardwalks.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:14 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I’d be shocked if Georgia doesn’t have the least amount of accessible beach miles. It’s basically Tybee, Jekyll, and St. Simons. Most everything else is a boat and camping I think. Infrastructure wise it’s probably last.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Mass is more quaint and more sandy beach coastline. Its more resorty and upscale than VA or GA. VA is more for younger people and would be great for a Family. But the quantity isnt there.

Massachusetts beaches have a little bit for everyone. Provincetown is an LGBT/Portuguese haven at the end of the cape, Welfleet Beaches are cliffy and breathetaking, National Seashore is one a kind, Mayflower and Dennis Beaches are white sandy all the way up to Plymouth. MV and Nantucket are exlusive victorian islands. MV is very family oriented. Both are quaint but pricey. South Shore is like Long Island beaches, the Spit, drive up boat restaurants. Them North Shore MA is typical new england beaches.. rocky, scenic, fisherman wharfs etc. quaint and cute downtowns on the beach all the way up past Portland ME.

The one thing MA lacks is an equivalent of an Asbury Park or Wildwood. No piers or boardwalks.
Don't be so sure about the bolded. St. Simons Island is full of old money, and the posh Sea Island Club has hosted a G8 Summit.

Georgia's coast is the wildest and least developed on the East Coast. It's all barrier islands, most of them are uninhabited and protected. Some have wild horses, some contain the ruins of gilded age mansions. They're very beautiful, and are surrounded by prime fishing, shrimping and oyster waters. Highrises are banned on the few developed islands.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Don't be so sure about the bolded. St. Simons Island is full of old money, and the posh Sea Island Club has hosted a G8 Summit.

Georgia's coast is the wildest and least developed on the East Coast. It's all barrier islands, most of them are uninhabited and protected. Some have wild horses, some contain the ruins of gilded age mansions. They're very beautiful, and are surrounded by prime fishing, shrimping and oyster waters. Highrises are banned on the few developed islands.
By way of Nantucket and Marthas vineyard mainly.
Its not really a good thing in all honesty… the 10-25 million dollar compounds around the islands make it less exciting.

Il take a vacation to Georgias coastline over Nantucket anyday.

If i were to get a beach house it would be in the Svannah area. Maybe even into SC

Old 06-27-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’d be shocked if Georgia doesn’t have the least amount of accessible beach miles. It’s basically Tybee, Jekyll, and St. Simons. Most everything else is a boat and camping I think. Infrastructure wise it’s probably last.
Now that could be a big positive to many.

Old 06-27-2021, 03:17 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Now that could be a big positive to many.
Big time. As much as I love the Pinellas County beach towns, our beaches are SO much more laid back here. St. Simons Island is my favorite, I could definitely live there.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:02 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Florida
Mass
Delaware (didn't see NC until it was too late)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City