Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose No More Than 3: Which are best for beach tourism?
Connecticut 2 0.97%
Delaware 17 8.25%
Florida 166 80.58%
Georgia 12 5.83%
Maine 19 9.22%
Maryland 4 1.94%
Massachusetts 44 21.36%
New Hampshire 1 0.49%
New Jersey 62 30.10%
New York 16 7.77%
North Carolina 84 40.78%
Rhode Island 10 4.85%
South Carolina 95 46.12%
Virginia 29 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 11:38 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Not east coast related what u guys think of Oregon Beaches how it compare to east coast ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSUVa_fPC0
Beautiful.. But, very cold water, not ideal late spring/summer/early fall beach weather.

Most comparable to the coast of Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 02:06 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Not east coast related what u guys think of Oregon Beaches how it compare to east coast ?

I would say Boston due north have a lot of rocky beaches, especially Maine from just the way the glacial retreat happened as.

Old 07-03-2021, 01:54 PM

453 posts, read 301,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
beautiful beaches - for photos
great beaches - for swimming: FL NC SC
quiet beach towns: FL ME MA
party beach towns FL NJ SC
Victorian/old school/historic beach towns (aka like Cape May or Saint Augustine) MA FL NJ
family attractions (ferris wheels, funnel cake, boardwalks, arcades)
upscale beach towns MA FL NY
recreational seashores and national parks FL NC ME
snorkeling FL ?
diving FL
good seafood FL MA ME
upscale dining FL MA NY
diners/cheap eats FL NJ SC
I think people check off FLORIDA without any real knowledge of the place. There is no good seafood in Florida, like most of the food it's imported and by the time it gets down the miles and miles of roads it's bad. Very rare to find an actual boat with fish coming in. Also no upscale dining nor diners. A diner has nothing to do with beaches or tourism. You can't even find a BAKERY in the whole state - only crap in grocery stores. And certainly no "family attractions". Funnel cake? lol

But okay, for some weird reason there's at least one "arcade" in every single shopping center now.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
I think people check off FLORIDA without any real knowledge of the place. There is no good seafood in Florida, like most of the food it's imported and by the time it gets down the miles and miles of roads it's bad. Very rare to find an actual boat with fish coming in. Also no upscale dining nor diners. A diner has nothing to do with beaches or tourism. You can't even find a BAKERY in the whole state - only crap in grocery stores. And certainly no "family attractions". Funnel cake? lol

But okay, for some weird reason there's at least one "arcade" in every single shopping center now.
I lived in Florida for almost 7 years, in the 2010s.

But i do have to agree. Most of florida the seafood sucks. But some parts have great seafood, especially in the gulf by Destin and out in the Keys. And the beaches dont have that vibe NJ DE MA NY ones do with the stuff on it and like boardwalky or whatever.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:25 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
There are beaches in hamptons. Most are private, but there some good ones. But it really doesnt match up with Mass beaches.
I know you have this thing about the Hamptons, from a visit you once had there, but you really didn't get to see a whole lot. I have been to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Cape Cod numerous times, and I dont have a bad thing to say about them. They are all beautiful. But the Hamptons is gorgeous too. Next time you take a trip here, talk to me first. I will guide you to the right places to go, and I have no doubt, after that, you will agree with me.

I'm sitting on my back deck right now, and this is what I am looking at:

There is nowhere else in the world I would rather be right now.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Quote:

As a New England native that's been in western Washington for over 5 years now, PNW beaches while beautiful are cold to cool year round. On the coast not only is the water freezing but it's like 50s to mid 60s during the peak of summer and super windy. That's why there is no beach culture out here...people swim in lakes instead as they are much warmer. If you ever go to a beach out here it's mostly just people taking pictures. Also, compare the coast of the PNW to the east coast in terms of housing development. The coast here is empty by comparison...there are a few small dying towns scattered along the coast here and that's about it. The coast here is just cold, windy, and super rainy (over 100" annually and over 200 days per year of rain). Cannon Beach has a live cam you can check out and you'll notice how few people there are and none of them in the water(at least not at the time of this post):
https://cannonbeachphoto.com/oregon-coast-webcams/

Cannon Beach is probably the most popular beach in the PNW. Washington beaches have even less people and they are rocky to boot. Having said all that, if you live for beach culture like what's on the east coast don't ever move here, you'd hate it lol.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 07-05-2021 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I know you have this thing about the Hamptons, from a visit you once had there, but you really didn't get to see a whole lot. I have been to Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Cape Cod numerous times, and I dont have a bad thing to say about them. They are all beautiful. But the Hamptons is gorgeous too. Next time you take a trip here, talk to me first. I will guide you to the right places to go, and I have no doubt, after that, you will agree with me.

I'm sitting on my back deck right now, and this is what I am looking at:

There is nowhere else in the world I would rather be right now.
Its not that i have a thing with the hamptons

Il rephrase what i meant: Its if you arent from there or dont live there, there is absolutely no reason to go there. And being arojnd NYC, i hear ‘dont go to the hamptons’ all the time now. If i want amusement i will go to NJ or FL. If I want scenery il go to MV, Cape Cod or Newport. If i want to feel bad about myself, il go to Nantucket. If I was rockiness, il go to Maine. The Hamptons just dont fit a niche for me.

I mean of course i will give it another shot. I have nothing personally against it.. i just dont see the draw. Which is fine, i mean, people dont see the draw to GA beaches and i love them. So its really a to each their own.

Also, i dont really like South of Cape Cod- MA beaches outside their natural beauty. I think the people who go there are snobs and its like a competition. I think there is a misconception that I like them. I mean, I guess. But not a first choice

Old 07-05-2021, 04:47 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
I get the appeal of Georgia beaches. I just think SC does the same niche of marsh-and-beach islands better. But honestly, the Sea Islands coastline is my favorite stretch of coast in the lower 48.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:09 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Its not that i have a thing with the hamptons

Il rephrase what i meant: Its if you arent from there or dont live there, there is absolutely no reason to go there. And being arojnd NYC, i hear ‘dont go to the hamptons’ all the time now. If i want amusement i will go to NJ or FL. If I want scenery il go to MV, Cape Cod or Newport. If i want to feel bad about myself, il go to Nantucket. If I was rockiness, il go to Maine. The Hamptons just dont fit a niche for me.

I mean of course i will give it another shot. I have nothing personally against it.. i just dont see the draw. Which is fine, i mean, people dont see the draw to GA beaches and i love them. So its really a to each their own.

Also, i dont really like South of Cape Cod- MA beaches outside their natural beauty. I think the people who go there are snobs and its like a competition. I think there is a misconception that I like them. I mean, I guess. But not a first choice
What Massachusetts beaches lie south of the Cape?

Or are you talking about the beaches on the southern side of the Cape?

Old 07-06-2021, 05:48 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What Massachusetts beaches lie south of the Cape?

Or are you talking about the beaches on the southern side of the Cape?
I believe that is what they meant. As far as it being a competition/snobbery on the southern parts of the Cape.. I don't know. Always felt like it was fairly laid back.

I suppose they could be referring to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket? Edgartown and Nantucket can be particularly "loud".

There is a little slice of forgotten Massachusetts that locals know as the South Coast (not to be confused witn the South Shore). Again, don't believe this is what they were referring too. But towns like Westport and South Dartmouth have some great areas, both beach and inland. Westport in particular has a touch of magic.. Rolling hills, farms, bluffs, small capes, and luxury builds all lead to Horseneck Beach. It's a little slice of Ireland Coast here in the US.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5164...7i13312!8i6656

You'll be able to see Buzzard's Bay in the distance (upper left of the screen). Between the views, the homes, the inlets, the vineyard and brewery, I've always felt like Westport would be the perfect place to retire. Quick access to Newport and Providence, while Boston is still in reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City