Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose No More Than 3: Which are best for beach tourism?
Connecticut 2 0.97%
Delaware 17 8.25%
Florida 166 80.58%
Georgia 12 5.83%
Maine 19 9.22%
Maryland 4 1.94%
Massachusetts 44 21.36%
New Hampshire 1 0.49%
New Jersey 62 30.10%
New York 16 7.77%
North Carolina 84 40.78%
Rhode Island 10 4.85%
South Carolina 95 46.12%
Virginia 29 14.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 06:07 AM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I lived in Florida for almost 7 years, in the 2010s.

But i do have to agree. Most of florida the seafood sucks. But some parts have great seafood, especially in the gulf by Destin and out in the Keys. And the beaches dont have that vibe NJ DE MA NY ones do with the stuff on it and like boardwalky or whatever.
Miami beaches almost Caribbean, decent seafood, Caribbean and Latin America vibes so make it up for Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 06:35 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its not that i have a thing with the hamptons

Il rephrase what i meant: Its if you arent from there or dont live there, there is absolutely no reason to go there. And being arojnd NYC, i hear ‘dont go to the hamptons’ all the time now. If i want amusement i will go to NJ or FL. If I want scenery il go to MV, Cape Cod or Newport. If i want to feel bad about myself, il go to Nantucket. If I was rockiness, il go to Maine. The Hamptons just dont fit a niche for me.

I mean of course i will give it another shot. I have nothing personally against it.. i just dont see the draw. Which is fine, i mean, people dont see the draw to GA beaches and i love them. So its really a to each their own.

Also, i dont really like South of Cape Cod- MA beaches outside their natural beauty. I think the people who go there are snobs and its like a competition. I think there is a misconception that I like them. I mean, I guess. But not a first choice
This part is partly true. It is a lot more fun when you are a regular here, and get invited to clambakes on the beach, cocktail parties, etc.

But I dont think you would have a horrible time staying in a nice B&B, riding a bike to East Hampton Main Beach or Coopers Beach, hanging out in town, and going to some of the phenomenal restaurants. If you dont know anyone, you will just have to make reservations long in advance.

But yes, it is definitely geared towards people who summer here every year.

As far as people saying "Don't go to the Hamptons.", this is the busiest summer I have ever seen. Maybe that is why they are saying this to you.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:38 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I believe that is what they meant. As far as it being a competition/snobbery on the southern parts of the Cape.. I don't know. Always felt like it was fairly laid back.

I suppose they could be referring to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket? Edgartown and Nantucket can be particularly "loud".

There is a little slice of forgotten Massachusetts that locals know as the South Coast (not to be confused witn the South Shore). Again, don't believe this is what they were referring too. But towns like Westport and South Dartmouth have some great areas, both beach and inland. Westport in particular has a touch of magic.. Rolling hills, farms, bluffs, small capes, and luxury builds all lead to Horseneck Beach. It's a little slice of Ireland Coast here in the US.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5164...7i13312!8i6656

You'll be able to see Buzzard's Bay in the distance (upper left of the screen). Between the views, the homes, the inlets, the vineyard and brewery, I've always felt like Westport would be the perfect place to retire. Quick access to Newport and Providence, while Boston is still in reach.
Yeah I meant Cape Cod and aouth. So cape and islands

Old 07-06-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This part is partly true. It is a lot more fun when you are a regular here, and get invited to clambakes on the beach, cocktail parties, etc.

But I dont think you would have a horrible time staying in a nice B&B, riding a bike to East Hampton Main Beach or Coopers Beach, hanging out in town, and going to some of the phenomenal restaurants. If you dont know anyone, you will just have to make reservations long in advance.

But yes, it is definitely geared towards people who summer here every year.

As far as people saying "Don't go to the Hamptons.", this is the busiest summer I have ever seen. Maybe that is why they are saying this to you.
Summer travel is a non no this year. Everything is booked up. Im in Spain because it was the cheapest option. (AA Family)

Old 07-06-2021, 07:07 PM

235 posts, read 330,962 times
My choices are likely shaped by being a southerner who lived in New England for a bit.

Top 3:

1 - Rhode Island. Water is warmer than New England states to the north. And RI gets waves unlike CT because it’s not behind Long Island. You’ve got Newport which is beautiful architecture, nice restaurants, cliff walk, vineyards, historic hotels. You also have beautiful beaches like second beach and east beach. Preserved natural areas like sachusett point and beaver tail state park. Cool old buildings and restaurants like the coast guard house in Narragansett. And charming small towns like Jamestown, Bristol, Warren etc. Block Island is also amazing.

2 - Maine. I love the lighthouses and rocky coast. It’s also great to have Portland nearby or Acadia National Park / Bar Harbor when further up. Plus all the charming coastal towns in between.

3. Tie: SC / GA / NC. I am from this part of the south so have a lot of affinity for it. All three states have pros and cons that prevents me from picking a top one. GA is probably the most consistently nice between Jekyll (love the bike trails and historic area), St Simons and Tybee (though some parts are tacky/touristy). And Savannah nearby is a big plus. I love the Charleston area beaches in SC, especially Folly, Edisto and Sullivan’s but am less crazy about Myrtle area. NC has some real gems (Ocracoke, bald head, caswell, duck/Corolla) but due to the large number of beaches, there’s also a lot that are just average. NC also doesn’t have many beaches with a traditional downtown like Folly. NC also has the best lighthouses in the south. But I’d also rank Wilmington last behind Savannah and Charleston.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:05 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
There is a little slice of forgotten Massachusetts that locals know as the South Coast (not to be confused witn the South Shore). Again, don't believe this is what they were referring too. But towns like Westport and South Dartmouth have some great areas, both beach and inland. Westport in particular has a touch of magic.. Rolling hills, farms, bluffs, small capes, and luxury builds all lead to Horseneck Beach. It's a little slice of Ireland Coast here in the US.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5164...7i13312!8i6656

You'll be able to see Buzzard's Bay in the distance (upper left of the screen). Between the views, the homes, the inlets, the vineyard and brewery, I've always felt like Westport would be the perfect place to retire. Quick access to Newport and Providence, while Boston is still in reach.
It’s unknown because other than the Horseneck state beach in Westport and a crummy little beach at Demarest Lloyd State Park in South Dartmouth, there is no public access. Barney’s Joy in South Dartmouth is the best beach in the area. It’s private with a closed membership since it was given to Massachusetts Audubon. Salters Point is a gated community. Round Hill is the Dartmouth town beach. The Round Hill gated community has their own beach. The Nonquitt gated community has their own beach. We own a share in Anthony Beach. That’s private. In Westport, Baker’s Beach and the Cherry & Webb town beach don’t have public access. Baker’s Beach has a 10 year waiting list. Horseneck State Beach is shockingly eroded. It’s maybe 1/3 the amount of sand compared to 30 or 40 years ago. There’s no public access in the Acoaxet part of Westport next to Little Compton RI.

And yeah, it’s a pretty good place to retire if you like the summer beach/boat/bicycle lifestyle. South Coast Rail in a couple of years will also make Boston access a lot easier.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:08 AM

34 posts, read 38,908 times
Cape Cod is totally underwhelming. You can't even swim in the water because it's so cold, the sand is too gritty, and the beaches themselves are too narrow. You would expect from the crappy quality of the beaches, there would be stuff to do in town, but no, your expectations are too high. Even the most happening place on the Cape, Provincetown, is kinda boring. I know Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are nice, but other than boating and golf there's not much more to do because you still can't swim in the frigid water. If I was going that far North, I would just go up to Kennebunkport, which IMO has much prettier beaches surrounding it. The only good thing about Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are the lot sizes, and the seclusion they offer.

My personal ranking of beaches would be NC where my family summers, Florida, and NJ. SC is a contender, but Myrtle Beach is an awful stain and completely ruins that part of the South Carolina shoreline. Hilton Head and all the other islands along the coast are very nice. North Carolina has the Outer Banks, but also the beaches south of Wilmington are very nice. For the size of NJ, there's everything from super upscale resort towns to party towns to everything in between. Delaware is pretty similar, but it is too small to really be a contender. Florida obviously because of the Keys, St. Augustine, and I surprisingly like Fort Lauderdale on the water.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillandz View Post
Cape Cod is totally underwhelming. You can't even swim in the water because it's so cold, the sand is too gritty, and the beaches themselves are too narrow. You would expect from the crappy quality of the beaches, there would be stuff to do in town, but no, your expectations are too high. Even the most happening place on the Cape, Provincetown, is kinda boring. I know Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are nice, but other than boating and golf there's not much more to do because you still can't swim in the frigid water. If I was going that far North, I would just go up to Kennebunkport, which IMO has much prettier beaches surrounding it. The only good thing about Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are the lot sizes, and the seclusion they offer.

My personal ranking of beaches would be NC where my family summers, Florida, and NJ. SC is a contender, but Myrtle Beach is an awful stain and completely ruins that part of the South Carolina shoreline. Hilton Head and all the other islands along the coast are very nice. North Carolina has the Outer Banks, but also the beaches south of Wilmington are very nice. For the size of NJ, there's everything from super upscale resort towns to party towns to everything in between. Delaware is pretty similar, but it is too small to really be a contender. Florida obviously because of the Keys, St. Augustine, and I surprisingly like Fort Lauderdale on the water.
Cape Cod is not that bad… your really overdoing it. Its not as booming/crazy as nj, but its a completely different thing. Its upscale, scenic beaches carved out from glacial retreat. Its where your country clubs chairmen vacation for the weekend in July.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:03 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillandz View Post
Cape Cod is totally underwhelming. You can't even swim in the water because it's so cold
Ha! If you think Cape Cod has cold water, you should come up to where I live and go for a swim!

The water temp at Plum Island today is 61F (per a quick google search) compared to 70F in Falmouth.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:49 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,736,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Ha! If you think Cape Cod has cold water, you should come up to where I live and go for a swim!

The water temp at Plum Island today is 61F (per a quick google search) compared to 70F in Falmouth.
If you think that's cold you should check out the PNW coast:
https://www.currentresults.com/Ocean...emperature.php

Not to mention the actual coast weather here is 50s-low 60s at the height of summer with high winds year round. Part of the reason no one swims at the beaches here and everyone just swims in lakes. Also, Cape Cod is great imo and staple of anyone from New England. Much preferred over the crowded NJ beaches I've been to with boardwalks, fake palm trees, and all kinds of overpriced stands setup all over the place selling stuff. That's just me though.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 07-07-2021 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City