Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cheap Cities?
Buffalo, NY 2 2.20%
Rochester, NY 0 0%
Syracuse, NY 1 1.10%
Pittsburgh, PA 19 20.88%
Cleveland, OH 3 3.30%
Toledo, OH 0 0%
Columbus, OH 2 2.20%
Cincinnati, OH 3 3.30%
Fort Wayne, IN 0 0%
Indianapolis, IN 1 1.10%
Detroit, MI 5 5.49%
Lexington, KY 0 0%
Louisville, KY 1 1.10%
Knoxville, TN 0 0%
Chattanooga, TN 1 1.10%
Memphis, TN 0 0%
Greensboro, NC 2 2.20%
Fayetteville, NC 1 1.10%
Columbia, SC 1 1.10%
Augusta, GA 0 0%
Savannah, GA 5 5.49%
Huntsville, AL 0 0%
Birmingham, AL 1 1.10%
Montgomery, AL 0 0%
Mobile, AL 2 2.20%
Jackson, MS 0 0%
Rockford, IL 3 3.30%
Springfield, IL 0 0%
Milwaukee, WI 4 4.40%
Duluth, MN 0 0%
Davenport, IA 0 0%
Cedar Rapids, IA 0 0%
Des Moines, IA 1 1.10%
Sioux City, IA 0 0%
St. Louis, MO 6 6.59%
Springfield, MO 0 0%
Kansas City, MO 4 4.40%
Little Rock, AR 1 1.10%
Shreveport, LA 1 1.10%
Baton Rouge, LA 0 0%
Lafayette, LA 0 0%
New Orleans, LA 0 0%
Houston, TX 9 9.89%
San Antonio, TX 4 4.40%
McAllen, TX 0 0%
Lubbock, TX 0 0%
Amarillo, TX 0 0%
El Paso, TX 1 1.10%
Tulsa, OK 1 1.10%
Oklahoma City, OK 0 0%
Wichita, KS 1 1.10%
Omaha, NE 2 2.20%
Lincoln, NE 0 0%
Sioux Falls, SD 2 2.20%
Fargo, ND 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 04:48 PM

1,260 posts, read 944,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I would never consider Chicago a "value" city or a place for affordable living. Unless of course you're coming from California or NY. Having lived there it's far more expensive than many of these other cities simply based on taxes alone. It's not getting more affordable, it's becoming less on a yearly basis. Even with the wage difference I don't consider Chicago a bargain for the middle class American.
I agree. I don’t consider Chicago affordable. Yes, when compared to NYC, Boston, DC, SF, etc one can say it is, buts that’s not saying much when compared to those. $50k a year isn’t going to get you a comfortable life in Chicago, at all, yes it will go much further than it’s more expensive peers, but Chicago is not really cheap nor particularly affordable. I’d say it’s in the middle of the pack in affordability, close to being with top tier of most unaffordable cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 08:10 PM

824 posts, read 711,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I agree. I don’t consider Chicago affordable. Yes, when compared to NYC, Boston, DC, SF, etc one can say it is, buts that’s not saying much when compared to those. $50k a year isn’t going to get you a comfortable life in Chicago, at all, yes it will go much further than it’s more expensive peers, but Chicago is not really cheap nor particularly affordable. I’d say it’s in the middle of the pack in affordability, close to being with top tier of most unaffordable cities.
I mean 50k for a family sure won’t get you a comfortable life for a family in Chicago. But a single person on 50k in Chicago would do pretty well. I mean seriously, I’m not even sure places like Pittsburgh are even that much less expensive than Chicago. You can find 1 bdr apartments in decent areas of the city for 850 dollars.

Old 07-04-2021, 09:56 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
I mean 50k for a family sure won’t get you a comfortable life for a family in Chicago. But a single person on 50k in Chicago would do pretty well. I mean seriously, I’m not even sure places like Pittsburgh are even that much less expensive than Chicago. You can find 1 bdr apartments in decent areas of the city for 850 dollars.
50k for a single person in Chicago? Maybe if you have 0 debt you would be ok, but if you want to live by yourself (without a roommate) in a decent area then forget it (for $850 a month). I knew single people paying more for their apartment rent than we were paying for our 4 bdrm house in the chicago suburbs.

Old 07-04-2021, 10:55 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I would never consider Chicago a "value" city or a place for affordable living. Unless of course you're coming from California or NY. Having lived there it's far more expensive than many of these other cities simply based on taxes alone. It's not getting more affordable, it's becoming less on a yearly basis. Even with the wage difference I don't consider Chicago a bargain for the middle class American.
Meh. You can pick up a 2 bed condo in a good northside neighborhood for under 200k with 3k property taxes. Not a bargain, but when the minimum wage is $15 an hour or what not.. thats a good deal

Old 07-04-2021, 11:15 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
I would vote for Albuquerque (not on the list), but you would have to move fast. Otherwise I voted for St. Louis.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
$850?! You have to go out to the fringes of the city (maybe further), or the ghetto for that. $50k does not take you far in Chicago. You won’t be in poverty, but you certainly won’t be the most comfortable either, and I mean someone who is single. Good luck buying a place too on that salary alone.

Old 07-04-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Meh. You can pick up a 2 bed condo in a good northside neighborhood for under 200k with 3k property taxes. Not a bargain, but when the minimum wage is $15 an hour or what not.. thats a good deal
But I wouldn’t say it’s that affordable. Also it continues to get more expensive in Chicago too, significantly. To me the north side and core of Chicago is already on par with cities like LA, Seattle, Boston, DC in regards to affordability. The south side and west side are certainly more affordable but a lot of bad areas in this two and then they are much less walkable meaning you’ll have to buy a car to get around, which doesn’t really help.

I don’t think Chicago is that expensive but I wouldn’t say it’s that affordable either. If NYC, SF are the BMWs and Mercedes in regards to affordability, I’d say Chicago is the Volvo or Buick of affordability

Old 07-05-2021, 12:26 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
But I wouldn’t say it’s that affordable. Also it continues to get more expensive in Chicago too, significantly. To me the north side and core of Chicago is already on par with cities like LA, Seattle, Boston, DC in regards to affordability. The south side and west side are certainly more affordable but a lot of bad areas in this two and then they are much less walkable meaning you’ll have to buy a car to get around, which doesn’t really help.

I don’t think Chicago is that expensive but I wouldn’t say it’s that affordable either. If NYC, SF are the BMWs and Mercedes in regards to affordability, I’d say Chicago is the Volvo or Buick of affordability
I guess yeah, but you can find deals over other places and support yourself with a chicago minimum wage job.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I guess yeah, but you can find deals over other places and support yourself with a chicago minimum wage job.
Of course you’ll find better deals than it’s peer cities, but doesn’t mean it’s affordable. Chicago is in the ranks with cities like Miami, Philly, Seattle, Denver and Portland. By far not the most expensive cities but definitely not affordable either. Ask anyone outside of Chicago in the Midwest if they think Chicago is affordable and they will tell you it’s not. From the coasts it looks it, but in reality it isn’t.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:33 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Of course you’ll find better deals than it’s peer cities, but doesn’t mean it’s affordable. Chicago is in the ranks with cities like Miami, Philly, Seattle, Denver and Portland. By far not the most expensive cities but definitely not affordable either. Ask anyone outside of Chicago in the Midwest if they think Chicago is affordable and they will tell you it’s not. From the coasts it looks it, but in reality it isn’t.
I have to agree. Housing CAN be affordable in Chicago but you sorta get what you pay for. If you want anything nice you’re going to pay for it. And housing is just one factor. Sales tax is sky high as are property taxes. Taxes all day there. Going out to eat is pricey, doing stuff for fun is pricey. It’s really easy to spend a lot of money there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City