Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best state of the bunch
Georgia 54 50.47%
Texas 19 17.76%
NY 12 11.21%
Maryland 18 16.82%
North Carolina 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 11:01 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

^Yeah, I think this helps to illustrate the income aspect. This portion of that article does as well: "Just under half of the country’s 2731 Black middle-income Census tracts are found in just seven metro areas: New York (466 tracts), Chicago (196 tracts), Washington (190 tracts), Atlanta (166 tracts), Philadelphia (117 tracts), Baltimore (112 tracts), and Detroit (94 tracts). Middle-income tracts with populations that are at least 80% Black are even more clustered: more than two-thirds of them are found in these seven metro areas, with half in just the top four: New York, Chicago, Washington, and Atlanta. The remaining majority Black middle-income Census tracts are mostly found in the South, and particularly in cities and rural areas in the Black Belt region."

So, out of the states listed, it looks like NY, MD and GA would run roughly in that order. Some of this will depend on where in the NYC and DC metros these census tracts are located.

I am curious as to what the article is referring to as high income census tracts, because I didn't see any income criteria for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 11:43 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
^Yeah, I think this helps to illustrate the income aspect. This portion of that article does as well: "Just under half of the country’s 2731 Black middle-income Census tracts are found in just seven metro areas: New York (466 tracts), Chicago (196 tracts), Washington (190 tracts), Atlanta (166 tracts), Philadelphia (117 tracts), Baltimore (112 tracts), and Detroit (94 tracts). Middle-income tracts with populations that are at least 80% Black are even more clustered: more than two-thirds of them are found in these seven metro areas, with half in just the top four: New York, Chicago, Washington, and Atlanta. The remaining majority Black middle-income Census tracts are mostly found in the South, and particularly in cities and rural areas in the Black Belt region."

So, out of the states listed, it looks like NY, MD and GA would run roughly in that order. Some of this will depend on where in the NYC and DC metros these census tracts are located.

I am curious as to what the article is referring to as high income census tracts, because I didn't see any income criteria for that.
I'm interested in the majority Black middle-income Census tracts outside of the large metropolitan areas and particularly in the Black Belt. That information should be intriguing.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:57 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:

I would NOT say NY MD GA in that order because they're saying NY has the most Black middle income census tracts but MD has the most high income black census tracts. You can through a dart anywhere outside the beltway in PG county or South Atlanta and the black wealth is there. NY like you say depends on where you are. Now LA and NY are probable the best to be a millionaire in general but the article is clearly pointing out that PG and Atlanta the most contiguous black high incomes across a large area and home to alot of black millionaires . Hell my moms neighborhood is near the gated community in Woodmore, MD which houses can go for a couple million.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I would NOT say NY MD GA in that order because they're saying NY has the most Black middle income census tracts but MD has the most high income black census tracts. You can through a dart anywhere outside the beltway in PG county or South Atlanta and the black wealth is there. NY like you say depends on where you are. Now LA and NY are probable the best to be a millionaire in general but the article is clearly pointing out that PG and Atlanta the most contiguous black high incomes across a large area and home to alot of black millionaires . Hell my moms neighborhood is near the gated community in Woodmore, MD which houses can go for a couple million.
When I said that about NYC, I meant in terms of the fact that it is a multi state metro area. In terms of the portion of that metro area within NY State, SE Queens into western Nassau county will be the biggest concentration. I'm curious about the 4 census tracts in that area, as just with 3 zip codes alone(11411, 11413 and 11422) there are roughly 95,000 people at 86.7% black and a median household income in the low/mid $90,000's. There are other zip codes in adjacent zip codes that have some higher income areas. So, that is why I wondered about what constitutes a higher income census tract according to the article.

Actually, this part of the article doesn't even mention Atlanta: "While majority Black, median-income Census tracts are relatively rare, high-income ones are much more so. There are only 49 such tracts in the US, and 36 of them are found in the Washington area (29 in Prince George’s County alone). Six are found in the New York metro area, two each are found in the Philadelphia and Baltimore metro areas, and the Los Angeles, Chicago, and Detroit metro areas each have one."

This part is kind of interesting as well: "There are 364 majority Black Census tracts in the US that have a median household income of at least 106% of their county or metropolitan area’s median household income. Of these, 37 are in the Washington region and 29 are in Prince George’s County; only the New York metropolitan area (61 tracts) has more than Washington, and only Queens County, New York has as many as Prince George’s County." So, Queens(and now into western Nassau County) may be underestimated somewhat in regards to these types of conversations. With this said and as the article states, the concentration in PG County and even into Charles County now is unique in terms of the size of predominantly black and higher income concentration.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm interested in the majority Black middle-income Census tracts outside of the large metropolitan areas and particularly in the Black Belt. That information should be intriguing.
Same here and I wouldn't be surprised if some are outer portions of mid sized/smaller metro areas like the bigger SC metros, the mid sized GA metros, areas like Tallahassee FL, Little Rock AR, Baton Rouge LA or Jackson MS, etc.

This is in the last part of that article: "As with majority Black, middle-income Census tracts, these tracts are fairly clustered, with half of them found in only seven metropolitan areas: New York (61 tracts), Washington (37 tracts, Los Angeles (19 tracts), Chicago (18 tracts), Detroit (15 tracts), Memphis (14 tracts), and Atlanta (14 tracts). Many of the remaining tracts are scattered throughout small metro areas and rural counties in the South, and some have quite low median incomes in national terms: 43 of the tracts have median incomes of less than $50,000."

Old 10-21-2021, 03:02 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Memphis and Jackson MS might be worth looking into. Not sure if ckhthankgod posted info from those metros. If so, I missed them.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Memphis and Jackson MS might be worth looking into. Not sure if ckhthankgod posted info from those metros. If so, I missed them.
Ha. I've been mentioning the Jackson Metro in similar theme threads for awhile. Not trying to prop it up as a untapped gem just acknowledging it due to it's flyover status. There's middle-class black community inside the city & burbs. Not just the Sipp standards but national too.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
^Correction, Sandy Ground is on Staten Island.

Also, this article/research can only give some idea of income for a few of theses states: https://ggwash.org/view/79489/prince...ally-is-unique
Here is some information using 2019 5 year census information related to the SE Queens/western Nassau County area mentioned and the difference in terms of how many more continuous high income census tracts there are using that data: https://www.city-data.com/forum/62164826-post392.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-22-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-25-2021, 12:50 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
From the censusreporter site i gathered these census tracts in Hinds County, MS.

Tract 111.02 - 10K pop / 76% Blk & $68K
Tract 111.03- 5.8K pop/ 77% Blk & $63K
Tract 105- 8.4K pop / 58% Blk & $60K
Tract 112.02- 9.3K pop/ 54% BLK & $60K

Old 10-26-2021, 09:38 AM

Some more entrepreneur examples from NY State: https://www.city-data.com/forum/62188718-post3095.html (first two entries)
https://www.democratandchronicle.com...le/8539192002/

https://www.newsday.com/lifestyle/fa...ity-1.50390221

https://wnyt.com/albany-ny-women-new...183/?cat=11883

https://www.timesunion.com/business/...e-16549102.php
https://www.facebook.com/Kitchen-216-165133200807194

A farmer: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ro...uring-pandemic

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-26-2021 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City