Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 04:12 PM

20 posts, read 23,755 times

Advertisements

Which one would I be better off in?

Taxes:
Recreation/things to do:
Weather (prefer cool summers and snowy winters):
Infastructure:
Scenery:
Crime:
Misc:

Overall:
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 05:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,322,848 times
Never been to St. Clairsville, but a cursory search makes it seem way nicer in most categories. Now I’ll admit I’m biased. Johnstown, PA is the most depressing place I’ve ever visited in my life.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:26 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Johnstown went from 67,000 people in 1920 to 18,000 in 2020. The level of de-industrialization and decline is incredible, even for a Rust Belt city.

Now imagine the scars of a city that still has those abandoned buildings? That's Johnstown.

Now add the psychological trauma of one of the nation's worst natural disasters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Flood.

I don't know much about St. Clairsville, but looking at the stats, it is far better than Johnstown.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:41 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
I've never been to Johnstown, but I did spend some time in St. Clairsville a couple of years ago. It seemed like a pleasant enough place for an Ohio Valley town. Very blue collar. Probably one of the nicer towns in the region, which overall is quite depressed and run down. It's a transient area though with lots of oil and gas workers due to the fracking industry.

Old 09-29-2021, 06:47 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,871 times
St. Clairsville and the surrounding area of Richland township is essentially a bedroom community for greater Wheeling, WV. There are several shopping plazas in the area and it is one of the better areas of the Upper Ohio Valley region. The surrounding area is very pretty especially in fall. However, most of the nearby cities and towns are quite drab and depressing.

Johnstown has seen better days. It's a former steel town and it shows. Lots of drugs issues. Abandoned houses and lots. Ironically the nicest area to live in is also known as Richland township. It is south and west of Johnstown. A lot of the shopping relocated out that way and it has the nicer neighborhoods for the region. It is also a beautiful area with nearby depressing cities and towns.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:32 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,871 times
Actually Richland township, PA is south and east of Johnstown. Caught it later and I can't edit it.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:53 PM

611 posts, read 365,068 times
St Clairsville is basically a small town that serves as a retail area and suburb of Wheeling. You are really comparing Johnstown vs Wheeling.

Old 10-02-2021, 03:47 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,371,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
St Clairsville is basically a small town that serves as a retail area and suburb of Wheeling. You are really comparing Johnstown vs Wheeling.
I was surprised myself, this comparison wasn't Wheeling vs. Johnstown. Correct Saint Clairsville is basically a nearby bedroom community/suburb, for the Wheeling area anyway. Not to forget, it might surprise some people not from there that St. Clairsville has a mall as well!

Anyway though, both places are in areas where the economy has slowly been declining. If I have to guess from what I've read about both places, St. Clairsville is likely in better economic shape as of now. Although I wish Johnstown could bounce back somehow, since I like the historic bones I notice about this city on street view. And the incline up a hill, also is cool about Johnstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City