Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 02:57 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
What's notable about Charleston, WV?
Old industrial town with lots of revitalization potential and a gorgeous natural setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 04:45 PM

783 posts, read 694,675 times
  1. Boston
  2. Denver
  3. Atlanta
  4. Austin
  5. Salt Lake City
  6. Phoenix
  7. Nashville
  8. Raleigh
  9. St. Paul
  10. Santa Fe

Old 09-29-2021, 04:51 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Based on the OP's criteria of "in terms of vibrancy, amenities, culture, things to do etc"

10 Indianapolis
9 Honolulu
8 Salt Lake City
7 Sacramento
6 Nashville

5 Austin
4 Phoenix
3 Atlanta
2 Denver
1 Boston

Old 09-29-2021, 05:02 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Besides what nadnerb said, I mostly just love WV's history, but Charleston also has the urban feel and amenities of a town much bigger than 48k.

https://goo.gl/maps/BsVokU2JnsNwH9wNA
https://goo.gl/maps/Qu81sJyWHj3uJ2vp9

Old 09-29-2021, 06:37 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Besides what nadnerb said, I mostly just love WV's history, but Charleston also has the urban feel and amenities of a town much bigger than 48k.

https://goo.gl/maps/BsVokU2JnsNwH9wNA
https://goo.gl/maps/Qu81sJyWHj3uJ2vp9
It has an impressive downtown (and a gorgeous State Capitol, far better than Virginia), but does it actually feel bigger? Having driven through it, you drive by in 10 minutes and it's just a couple of streets flanked by mountains.

I didn't feel it was big at all.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
I think people are purposefully not answering the OP's question.

"What in your opinion are the Top 10 state capitals areas (metro suburbs/exurbs/sister cities included) in terms of vibrancy, amenities, culture, things to do etc?"

The way I take it is the question isn't about which capital city itself is the personal favorite, it's more of a volume of things to do/amenities question for the metro area housing the specific capital city.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:26 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Based on the OP's criteria of "in terms of vibrancy, amenities, culture, things to do etc"

10 Indianapolis
9 Honolulu
8 Salt Lake City
7 Sacramento
6 Nashville

5 Austin
4 Phoenix
3 Atlanta
2 Denver
1 Boston
I get Boston over Atlanta, but Denver...come on now.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:33 PM

503 posts, read 799,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I get Boston over Atlanta, but Denver...come on now.
Denver is a very vibrant and active city. Probably not over Atlanta just based on size though.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:27 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

"What in your opinion are the Top 10 state capitals areas (metro suburbs/exurbs/sister cities included) in terms of vibrancy, amenities, culture, things to do etc?"

The way I take it is the question isn't about which capital city itself is the personal favorite, it's more of a volume of things to do/amenities question for the metro area housing the specific capital city.
And if that's the case, every one of these Top 10 lists should have Annapolis on it. As has been noted upthread, it's a half-hour from both Washington and Baltimore and counts as a suburb of both even though it's in Baltimore's MSA.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:28 AM

579 posts, read 511,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Yup this is pretty much it. I forgot about Annapolis! I just knew it was on the coast and it has the naval academy? I didn't realize it was so close to Baltimore-Washington. I grew up in DC and moved away as a child, but it might as well have been Delaware for a young kid in forest hills! Heck going out to Fairfax seemed like going out to the boonies back in the early 90's, so I probably just never correlated Annapolis with DC/Baltimore.

I would revise my list with Annapolis at the top then. And bump Salt Lake City completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City