Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:55 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the point is pretty off though. It doesn't make Burlington a spring break destination, but when places kind of suck in the US, they can suck real hard.

Yea, I'm sure it's just, like, fine enough, for the area, wouldn't travel from far off for it, but even that can be pretty good compared to lots of the US. I used to travel a lot for work on random shoots where we decamped to the nearest town in the US, and there are places that make Burlington and its ilk look pretty stellar in comparison.
The civilized portion of Burlington County NJ is a lot like the interior Bristol County MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 11:58 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think the point is pretty off though. It doesn't make Burlington a spring break destination, but when places kind of suck in the US, they can suck real hard.

Yea, I'm sure it's just, like, fine enough, for the area, wouldn't travel from far off for it, but even that can be pretty good compared to lots of the US. I used to travel a lot for work on random shoots where we decamped to the nearest town in the US, and there are places that make Burlington and its ilk look pretty stellar in comparison.
Go to Burlington. Have a ball, idk what else to say about this.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:07 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Go to Burlington. Have a ball, idk what else to say about this.

Hell yea, I would love to do a sweaty banger in Burlington.

Old 10-03-2021, 02:08 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
1. Boston
2. St Paul
3. Atlanta
4. Austin
5. Madison
6. Nashville
7. Raleigh
8. Denver
9. Annapolis
10. Honolulu

Old 10-03-2021, 02:31 PM

20 posts, read 23,746 times
My Top 10

1. Indianapolis, IN
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. Des Moines, IA
4. Lincoln, NE
5. Frankfort, KY
6. Charleston, WV
7. Bismarck, ND
8. Springfield, IL
9. Little Rock, AR
10. Jefferson City, MO

Old 10-03-2021, 04:13 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans undertale View Post
My Top 10

1. Indianapolis, IN
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. Des Moines, IA
4. Lincoln, NE
5. Frankfort, KY
6. Charleston, WV
7. Bismarck, ND
8. Springfield, IL
9. Little Rock, AR
10. Jefferson City, MO
Looks like you're going for less liberal state capitals, in which case I'd suggest putting Boise and SLC on your list somewhere. I can't imagine a trip to Bismarck being worth it unless the barren Great Plains really fill you with determination.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:45 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans undertale View Post
My Top 10

1. Indianapolis, IN
2. Oklahoma City, OK
3. Des Moines, IA
4. Lincoln, NE
5. Frankfort, KY
6. Charleston, WV
7. Bismarck, ND
8. Springfield, IL
9. Little Rock, AR
10. Jefferson City, MO
I kinda wasn't expecting anyone to rank Bismarck and/or Jeff City in their top 10, but interesting you did. What did you like about both these 2 cities? I know Jeff City has the Missouri Penitentiary Museum, which might be interesting to visit one day.

I remember liking the appearance of older buildings in downtown Charleston(WV), myself. And I remember going to one microbrewery in Charleston, on a more recent trip. On a trip many years ago I saw WV's state capitol, and liked going inside that building for myself.

And my memories of Frankfort, was that there is a local bourbon distillery there of some sort I once visited and liked. That said, I didn't notice much else on that trip, that jumped out about Frankfort. I kinda wonder if I should street view Frankfort, and see if there are any nice neighborhoods there I didn't realize existed?

I also remember street viewing Bismarck, and it seemed like it had a small downtown that looked alright (a la Springfield, IL). Don't know if it'd jump out to me, as much as certain other state capitols to visit.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:54 PM

824 posts, read 711,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Looks like you're going for less liberal state capitals, in which case I'd suggest putting Boise and SLC on your list somewhere. I can't imagine a trip to Bismarck being worth it unless the barren Great Plains really fill you with determination.
I mean they are less liberal but they also seem very random. Like Des Moines, Springfield and Indianapolis aren’t really conservative compared to everything else on the list and places like Jefferson City are tiny.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:05 PM

795 posts, read 482,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
What in your opinion are the Top 10 state capitals areas (metro suburbs/exurbs/sister cities included) in terms of vibrancy, amenities, culture, things to do etc?

Going off of a hunch because I have not been to every state capital (unfortunately ) though I hope to someday. Usually the bigger a city is and/or more developed a city is, the more amenities, vibrancy, culture and things there are to do is increased etc.

THIS IS ALSO BASED ON PERSONAL OPINION SO PEOPLE'S LISTS COULD FLUCTUATE GREATLY DEPENDING ON THEIR INTERESTS. I like history (#1), architecture and culture (museums, live theatre), sometimes amusement parks, sometimes beachy (but always love being near the ocean) and sometimes just a 'do nothing' getaway to a lakeside cabin.

This would be my educated, most logical guess list:
  1. Boston, MA
  2. Atlanta, GA
  3. Denver, CO
  4. Austin, TX
  5. St. Paul, MN
  6. Phoenix, AZ
  7. Annapolis, MD / Trenton, NJ (it's a tie)
  8. Honolulu, HI
  9. Nashville, TN
  10. Sacramento, CA

Honorable Mentions:
  1. Columbus, OH
  2. Indianapolis, IN
  3. Madison, WI

My personal list would be something like this:
  1. Boston, MA
  2. Annapolis, MD
  3. Trenton, NJ
  4. Albany, NY
  5. Atlanta, GA
  6. Richmond, VA
  7. Columbia, SC
  8. Austin, TX
  9. Providence, RI
  10. Honolulu, HI

Honorable Mentions:
  1. Montpelier, VT
  2. Concord, NH
  3. Augusta ME
  4. Montogmery, AL
  5. Phoenix, AZ
  6. Juneau, AL
  7. Harrisburg, PA
  8. Nashville, TN
  9. Sacramento, CA
  10. Hartford, CT

To each their own as far as their interests. Again, I would ideally love to see every state capital in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City