Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for a single guy in his early 30s?
Nashville 23 29.49%
Austin 25 32.05%
Indianapolis 1 1.28%
Raleigh 2 2.56%
Charlotte 5 6.41%
Tampa 17 21.79%
Dallas 10 12.82%
Other (please let me know!) 18 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 09:56 AM

23 posts, read 21,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
My advice to you, would be to make a final list of cities you want to move to and then visit each for a few days to feel them out. You are going to continue to get different answers from different people with different experiences. The only way to get the right answer is to check them out for yourself!
That's definitely the plan! This thread is really just to help me figure out that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 01:10 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Austin and Nashville are tied, which intrigues me. Doesn’t Austin have a lot more people? Or is Nashville just much more heavily saturated with young single folks?

Old 12-06-2021, 01:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairister021 View Post
These are definitely the two I'm leaning towards. Atlanta and Denver seem to be the favorite write-ins, but I think I'd rather be in a smaller city that offers the same opportunities.
Smaller cities never have the same opportunities. More people, more jobs, more housing, etc. Big cities always have more opportunities, period.

Now if you prefer something with a smaller job pool and a smaller dating pool then sure

Old 12-06-2021, 01:33 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
I’d have to say Austin or Dallas.

The rest of those cities are more likely to have mostly women that went to college for their “Mrs” degrees and are married with children in their 20s.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Austin and Nashville are tied, which intrigues me. Doesn’t Austin have a lot more people? Or is Nashville just much more heavily saturated with young single folks?
The Austin-Round Rock metro has about 2.3 million, Nashville-Murfreesboro has about 2.1 million. Not a significant difference in my mind.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I’d have to say Austin or Dallas.

The rest of those cities are more likely to have mostly women that went to college for their “Mrs” degrees and are married with children in their 20s.
That's definitely something I considered when putting this list together. My thought was that the higher-growth cities with influxes of out-of-towners are less likely to have people in that category.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:15 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Smaller cities never have the same opportunities. More people, more jobs, more housing, etc. Big cities always have more opportunities, period.

Now if you prefer something with a smaller job pool and a smaller dating pool then sure
By this logic Mexico City wins haha!

Bigger means more potential opportunities? Yes. More realized opportunities? No.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:17 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Bigger means more potential opportunities? Yes. More realized opportunities? No.

Mexico City is pretty amazing for a single guy in their early 30s, but the difficulties of living in another country in regards to residency and then there's the issue of a different language though English is somewhat common in Mexico City. The OP works from home, so at least that's settled, but not so sure about the other issues.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the help and advice, everyone! The finalists (cities I'm going to visit) are:

- Nashville
- Austin
- Tampa
- Dallas
- Atlanta

This board really has been valuable in helping me make this decision, I appreciate all of you.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:58 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Dating in large cities is pretty miserable, especially nowadays when these places are very transient and dating apps dominate the landscape. People always have it in the back of their minds they can get someone else easily (even if that's not true really, it is a plausible thought at least). I'd say the ideal situation is to be in a metro between 1.5-4 million people. Big enough to have plenty of choice, small enough that people are less likely to treat your horribly and think they'll never see you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City