Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for a single guy in his early 30s?
Nashville 23 29.49%
Austin 25 32.05%
Indianapolis 1 1.28%
Raleigh 2 2.56%
Charlotte 5 6.41%
Tampa 17 21.79%
Dallas 10 12.82%
Other (please let me know!) 18 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 09:56 AM

23 posts, read 21,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
That’s a great list. Be sure to check out St. Pete when you come to Tampa, I think you’re really going to like it!

Please let us know what you decide on.
Definitely will look at St. Pete, and definitely will update when I make a decision. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:31 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Someone in the earlier posts mentioned the dating scene in Charlotte was a mess, but I’ll just mention I was in Charlotte for a conference a little over 5 years ago (was in my 30’s at the time), and it was a really fun city. There were several young adults out and about, lots of nice modern and trendy housing with young adults, nice COL. I actually was considering a job there at one point. Anyway, it definitely seems like a city where someone mid 30’s would really enjoy.

The thing I liked about Charlotte was how clean it was, and it’s the right size without overdoing it. I’ve heard great things about Austin and Nashville, but they also seem like more party cities. I personal prefer more low-key cities where you can still have lots of fun without all the hype.

Someone also mentioned Sacramento as a medium sized city. Beautiful, super diverse, great nature, and a big enough downtowns area where it has nice shopping, dining, nightlife. That would definitely be an option.

The big thing that I never get with people make posts like this is how the job factors in. At mid 30’s, at least in my field, it is hard to just randomly pick a place to move because not ever city will have the right job opportunity for my field. And I’m in healthcare so it’s even easier for me (although am pretty sub-specialized).

I can see if you are in your 20’s or right out of college being able to go wherever, but by mid 30’s many are starting to be established career-wise and that will dictate options for moving. Of course, I guess it depends. Hospitality, restaurant industry etc, or a high demand job like primary care (healthcare) or a CPA, you can probably find a job anywhere. Sorry for getting off topic but I think career/job type would influence where most people can move to.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:47 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
I was assuming the OP was working remotely. If that’s the case he’ll be okay anywhere until he has to change jobs.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:40 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I was assuming the OP was working remotely. If that’s the case he’ll be okay anywhere until he has to change jobs.
Yeah that’s a good point. With remote work it does make it a lot easier, although these types of threads were popping up prior to the pandemic.

Although even now, while I am hybrid and only go into the office once in a blue moon if necessary. There is still some uncertainty as to how long this will last, and the thought is that it will eventually become a set hybrid schedule in the future. So I would think people would still need to plan on physically being where their job is (of course with some exceptions). Very few people I know across industries are expecting full time remote work in the future, although I’m sure that some will have this option.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:09 PM

23 posts, read 21,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yep. Work remotely and have been since pre-pandemic. Local job market isn't that important outside the fact that I'd like be around other younger professionals and creatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City