Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 06:04 PM

899 posts, read 517,468 times

Advertisements

One user will post a city, and the next will decide which other city is most similar to that one and why. This can be a bordering place or one across the country that is similar nonetheless. Afterwards, that second poster picks another place.

EXAMPLE:
User 1: San Jose, CA
User 2: Fort Worth has a sizable tech scene. It is also rather suburban, and it's often considered a secondary city to Dallas, like San Jose's relation to San Francisco. How about Indianapolis, IN?

The process repeats like this. I'll start with Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 06:22 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I'll start with Indianapolis.
I'll say Omaha. They're both pretty average larger Midwestern cities, without much to make them memorable or draw tourists, and no large state u in town. They have large-ish black populations (compared to their stereotypes) and more inner-city density and poverty than people think, but are still largely suburban. Both are in states that are doing decently but not unusually well economically.

Anchorage, AK

Old 12-27-2021, 07:15 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
I would venture to say Duluth, MN. They’re both on the water, a similar size, and utterly frigid. There’s not a perfect match for Anchorage, especially considering it’s isolation, but I think Duluth is about the closest place.

Arlington, VA

Old 12-28-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I would venture to say Duluth, MN. They’re both on the water, a similar size, and utterly frigid. There’s not a perfect match for Anchorage, especially considering it’s isolation, but I think Duluth is about the closest place.

Arlington, VA
Bellevue, WA is also separated by the larger city by a body of water. There is an urban area, but it is mostly suburban, just like Arlington.

Buffalo, NY

Old 12-28-2021, 05:43 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Bellevue, WA is also separated by the larger city by a body of water. There is an urban area, but it is mostly suburban, just like Arlington.

Buffalo, NY
Cleveland, OH. Both rust belt towns with strong historical pasts. Both on large bodies of water and similar cultures. Industries that have transformed them include healthcare, education, financial services. Recreational opportunities abound as well.

Kansas City, MO

Old 12-28-2021, 05:59 PM

41 posts, read 43,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Kansas City, MO
My gut's gonna have to go with Cincinnati, OH.

Both are big midwestern cities with a southern influence and metro areas that span across multiple states and are known for food (Cinci Chilli and Kansas City BBQ) and sports (specifically NFL and MLB). They also have some crime but not as bad as their sibilings (St. Louis and Cleveland).

Memphis, TN

Old 12-29-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar80 View Post
My gut's gonna have to go with Cincinnati, OH.

Both are big midwestern cities with a southern influence and metro areas that span across multiple states and are known for food (Cinci Chilli and Kansas City BBQ) and sports (specifically NFL and MLB). They also have some crime but not as bad as their sibilings (St. Louis and Cleveland).

Memphis, TN
Birmingham is another medium sized city in the south with an overblown reputation for crime. There are also plenty of developing areas near downtown.

Denver, CO

Old 12-29-2021, 02:53 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
I'll go with Minneapolis.

They're both colder-weather cities, regional hubs, good economies, similar COL, similar (but definitely not the same) demographics and cultural amenities. Not exactly the same, but they're close enough IMO.

Oakland, CA

Last edited by citylove101; 12-29-2021 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-29-2021, 04:06 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,950,065 times
Newark, NJ

Large cities within major metros overshadowed by even larger nearby cities, a bit rough around the edges (East Oakland, West Newark), secondary airports, port cities with traditionally heavy industry, lots of hills not too far inland, subway stops to the main city, both recently lost a pro sports franchise to the larger city (The Warriors and the Nets), highly liberal with old housing stock. The biggest difference is that Oakland is more expensive to live and doesn't get snow in the winter.

Baltimore, MD

Old 12-29-2021, 04:55 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Newark, NJ

Large cities within major metros overshadowed by even larger nearby cities, a bit rough around the edges (East Oakland, West Newark), secondary airports, port cities with traditionally heavy industry, lots of hills not too far inland, subway stops to the main city, both recently lost a pro sports franchise to the larger city (The Warriors and the Nets), highly liberal with old housing stock. The biggest difference is that Oakland is more expensive to live and doesn't get snow in the winter.

Baltimore, MD
St. Louis. Both are legacy cities known for heavy industrialization and population loss. Reputations overshadowed by crime, drugs, violence and dilapidated inner cities. Very underrated in terms of built environment and neighborhood amenities. Both have slipped down in their respective tiers.

Louisville, KY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City