Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 05:46 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,193,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I guess Duluth because it's also a cold lakeside city, and it's neither good or bad.

Tacoma, WA
Vancouver WA. Both secondary cities in their metros and similar climate. Oakland CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 07:11 PM

420 posts, read 302,532 times
Long Beach, CA specifically
Both have ports, have inner cities in stark contrast to the wealth of downtown SF/LA, and similar demographics
Dekalb, IL

Old 02-18-2022, 11:14 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Dekalb, IL
I mulled over this one a little, but I'm going with Cedar Falls, Iowa; and not just because both cities are home to the "Northern" variety of their respective states' directional universities.

Both cities are surrounded by flat agricultural countryside and have a manufacturing past - Cedar Falls with its riverside mills, and DeKalb with barbed wire - but have morphed into full-fledged college towns today with the universities being by far the cities' largest employers.

Fairhope, Alabama

Old 02-18-2022, 11:12 PM

899 posts, read 517,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I mulled over this one a little, but I'm going with Cedar Falls, Iowa; and not just because both cities are home to the "Northern" variety of their respective states' directional universities.

Both cities are surrounded by flat agricultural countryside and have a manufacturing past - Cedar Falls with its riverside mills, and DeKalb with barbed wire - but have morphed into full-fledged college towns today with the universities being by far the cities' largest employers.

Fairhope, Alabama
Poquoson, VA is also a distance from the major city, and a has a higher than average median age.

Greenville, SC

Old 02-20-2022, 09:10 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Poquoson, VA is also a distance from the major city, and a has a higher than average median age.

Greenville, SC
Fayetteville AR. Both are part of metros that have more than one main city. Tyler, TX?

Old 02-22-2022, 10:36 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Fayetteville AR. Both are part of metros that have more than one main city. Tyler, TX?
I did a little thinking here, and I'll say Bartlesville, OK. They both are cities where with the help of the lucrative oil industry decades ago, grew to be bigger cities than anyone would suspect. Granted I get this weird sense Bartlesville isn't as big(vs. Tyler) when it comes to population, but that's okay. Also, both cities aren't too far from a bigger city. Bartlesville isn't too far from Tulsa, and Tyler not too far from Dallas.

Sticking with Texas, and you can probably guess right away which dominates the economy and jobs of this smaller city: Wichita Falls, TX

Old 02-22-2022, 10:42 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Sticking with Texas, and you can probably guess right away which dominates the economy and jobs of this smaller city: Wichita Falls, TX
I had thought about going with a military-dominated town in Texas such as Killeen, but I think Killeen and Wichita Falls are too different. I'm going with Lawton, Oklahoma. Both are military-dominated and are home to regional public universities as well. They're also fairly similar in size with similar topography and climate, including the threat of tornadoes.

Staying in the Lone Star State:

New Braunfels, Texas

Old 02-22-2022, 11:51 AM

420 posts, read 302,532 times
San Marcos obliviously. Both are located not that far from each other and their nearby cities (San Antonio) and (Austin) respectively, both lie on I-35, but New Braunfels has German influence and San Marcos has Tex-Mex influence, and also both cities are growing like wildfire
Smyrna, GA?

Old 02-22-2022, 08:58 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
San Marcos obliviously. Both are located not that far from each other and their nearby cities (San Antonio) and (Austin) respectively, both lie on I-35, but New Braunfels has German influence and San Marcos has Tex-Mex influence, and also both cities are growing like wildfire
Smyrna, GA?
Matthews/Pineville, NC. The area is a fast growing suburb with great shopping. The area is attracting new businesses yet retains a small town charm. Still affordable by NC standards.

Murfreesboro, TN

Old 02-22-2022, 10:14 PM

899 posts, read 517,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Matthews/Pineville, NC. The area is a fast growing suburb with great shopping. The area is attracting new businesses yet retains a small town charm. Still affordable by NC standards.

Murfreesboro, TN
Lawrence, KS is another notable college town, and it's a satellite of a larger city.

Pleasanton, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City