Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2022, 08:30 PM

340 posts, read 175,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
It's the same for urban black communities nationally. Relocate to well to do neighborhoods/suburbs or gentrify the hoods by block by block.

Yeah, so Jackson maybe eventually might become a place like Compton, where people spread out and own their own peice of real estate instead of packing into the same area where generations of negativity persist. Its all a matter or economics and should re-correct itself in due time until the city reach minimum critical mass that enables certain conditions that makes a high murder rate relatively cease to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 08:34 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
Yeah, so Jackson maybe eventually might become a place like Compton, where people spread out and own their own peice of real estate instead of packing into the same area where generations of negativity persist. Its all a matter or economics and should re-correct itself in due time until the city reach minimum critical mass that enables certain conditions that makes a high murder rate relatively cease to exist.
This might surprise you that Jackson's black community have a sizeable home ownership larger than Compton.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
This might surprise you that Jackson's black community have a sizeable home ownership larger than Compton.

Nah not really too surprised, its in the South, theres been enough time to atleast have something but I still think once a certain ground has a certain history of violence that its hard to shake unless more people branch out to other cities, communities thats available out there..

Old 05-20-2022, 10:49 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Quote:
Nah not really too surprised, its in the South, theres been enough time to atleast have something but I still think once a certain ground has a certain history of violence that its hard to shake unless more people branch out to other cities, communities thats available out there..
Yet nearly all large cities has that history and it's a stigma heavier from some places than others.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Yet nearly all large cities has that history and it's a stigma heavier from some places than others.

Let me add that LA and compton was never mainstream... it was the mainstream Hollywood that became fascinated with the LA underground and you have creators like John Singleton telling the tale of ghetto America for everybody to see... it brought awareness on what was happening and LA gangs really made headlines after the 1987 shooting and crossfire victim on the Hollywood boardwalk I believe.. after the incident it drew a spotlight into street gangs in LA.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:39 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Let me add that LA and compton was never mainstream... it was the mainstream Hollywood that became fascinated with the LA underground and you have creators like John Singleton telling the tale of ghetto America for everybody to see... it brought awareness on what was happening and LA gangs really made headlines after the 1987 shooting and crossfire victim on the Hollywood boardwalk I believe.. after the incident it drew a spotlight into street gangs in LA.
Coming from Camden, Compton doesn't look that bad. I'd argue that's why it is dangerous, because it's deceptively nice. Might think it's sweet and get shot by accidentally wearing a different color hat. In Camden, Philly, and most NE cities, you can easily tell when you're in the hood/bad areas.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Coming from Camden, Compton doesn't look that bad. I'd argue that's why it is dangerous, because it's deceptively nice. Might think it's sweet and get shot by accidentally wearing a different color hat. In Camden, Philly, and most NE cities, you can easily tell when you're in the hood/bad areas.

In LA the people dont think or even know what the bad hoods in other states look like.. if you grew up out here back then and even now, theres areas youll instinctivley know not to go. It depends if you know LA or not cause I agree all the neighborhoods look dam near the same over here.. the houses all look the same when theyre built in the same era like the 1940s and 50s. Id argue that is why Hollywood is so infatuated at the time since everything relating to ghetto is right in the backyard and America love it.. gotta remember a business sell what the consumer want and alot of youth around the country became infatuated and started their own gang sets like LA with real direct ties too at the same time with the coke trade. There has to be a correlation with the rise in homicides with the crack trade and the media infatuation of gangs in the country in the late 80s. Let me also add that out here it actually do look rundown if youre here on the crack sidewalks from the earthquake, cracked roads, iron fences, graffitti and gang tags, industrial looking box style buildings, dirty, alot of trash all on the streets it looks rundown and you feel it. Oh and oil stains on the streets lmao cant forget the stains.

Last edited by number 4 mvp; 05-21-2022 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-21-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

Tell me these 2 hoods dont feel or look the same in some way..

Camden

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lrLkZFHZr0

LA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWrpJsRejc

Old 05-21-2022, 07:25 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Tell me these 2 hoods dont feel or look the same in some way..

Camden

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lrLkZFHZr0

LA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWrpJsRejc
Hard to make a visual comparison viewing them at night. Have similar clips during the day? I would guess that Camden will “look” worse, which was the poster’s point. The bad areas of cities in the NE have more of an “urban decay” look than their west coast counterparts. Doesn’t mean they’re any less dangerous, but most would say that they “look” worse.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Hard to make a visual comparison viewing them at night. Have similar clips during the day? I would guess that Camden will “look” worse, which was the poster’s point. The bad areas of cities in the NE have more of an “urban decay” look than their west coast counterparts. Doesn’t mean they’re any less dangerous, but most would say that they “look” worse.

I used the night videos to project a better feel of the point I was trying to make but in terms of decay of old infrastructure then yeah the eastcoast midwest etc look worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City