Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2022, 09:55 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is underselling it. 10 shot, 2 killed in an area in the HEART of downtown, right on Chicago Ave where there are many tourists.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...88b5771abc1a7c

This hits close to home because when I first moved to the city, I lived very close to this area, and frequently am in this area (at least pre-pandemic times) as it's normally a bustling area. Sadly, it's incidents like this which has me ready to leave this city that I love....
So one more end up dying, rather than the one. When I read the sun-times tracker much earlier, it listed only one, but now they updated. Quite terrible what's happening to downtown, but I notice these recent ones have been happening late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 10:00 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Actually Jackson been having more homicides than Compton ( yes even during Compton peak years). There always going to be a segment of the low income community living that life. Life moves on per say.
True. Compton peaked with 87 murders with a population of 90k. Jackson, looking at its total homicides and population, mimics Gary at its worst.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:02 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default Little Murders

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Keeping the years going.

As of 1/1/2022
Philadelphia- 3
Chicago- 2
Houston- 1
"Little Murders" was a black comedy movie about a time in America when there is so many murders that little murders (the ones nobody cares about) are not investigated.
Ring a bell?

Old 05-20-2022, 10:09 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Philadelphia 180 down from 199YTD

15 people have been shot past 2 days with no fatalities. One 14 year old boy was shot 14 times and is expected to survive but in critical condition.

It’s going to reach 92 on Saturday and 97 on Saturday. Oh boy….

Old 05-20-2022, 11:01 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Philadelphia 180 down from 199YTD

15 people have been shot past 2 days with no fatalities. One 14 year old boy was shot 14 times and is expected to survive but in critical condition.

It’s going to reach 92 on Saturday and 97 on Saturday. Oh boy….
I believe improved trauma care is one of the most significant factors in suppressing homicide rates. Could you imagine if we had 2022 gun violence with 1960s trauma care?

Old 05-20-2022, 01:16 PM

471 posts, read 272,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I believe improved trauma care is one of the most significant factors in suppressing homicide rates. Could you imagine if we had 2022 gun violence with 1960s trauma care?
Can you imagine what 2022 gun violence would be if we'd had different gun laws since the 1960s?

Old 05-20-2022, 03:32 PM

340 posts, read 175,751 times
Quote:
Actually Jackson been having more homicides than Compton ( yes even during Compton peak years). There always going to be a segment of the low income community living that life. Life moves on per say.

Lol actually?.. I know Jackson has a high rate but its still a small town and those high rates are just recent. Compton has had these major social troubles since the early 70s and thats just a tiny fraction of the entire scope of the environment when considering the fact that it is a 10 sq. mile city surrounded by miles and miles of dangerous neighborhoods, that ACTUALLY still have the same degree of menace in it's present form.. like I mention before, don't let these rates get your mind twisted. You also mention "life move on per say", well that is why Compton has had a black exodus after the crack and riot era.. to specifically escape the ghettos of inner city LA.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:29 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
Lol actually?.. I know Jackson has a high rate but its still a small town and those high rates are just recent. Compton has had these major social troubles since the early 70s and thats just a tiny fraction of the entire scope of the environment when considering the fact that it is a 10 sq. mile city surrounded by miles and miles of dangerous neighborhoods, that ACTUALLY still have the same degree of menace in it's present form.. like I mention before, don't let these rates get your mind twisted. You also mention "life move on per say", well that is why Compton has had a black exodus after the crack and riot era.. to specifically escape the ghettos of inner city LA.
If Jackson's a small town than Compton's an urban village. LoL.
Jackson went through the similar social troubles simultaneously as Compton & other similar sized cities. The same hoods in Jacktown of the past are STILL notorious today. The big difference is 1 city is a suburb of a top tier city & the other is an unknown mid south city to folks like you & mainstream press. I wasn't speaking on rates alone & actually total numbers. Exodus happened in Jackson too(especially the Westside).

Old 05-20-2022, 07:07 PM

340 posts, read 175,751 times
Quote:
If Jackson's a small town than Compton's an urban village. LoL.
Jackson went through the similar social troubles simultaneously as Compton & other similar sized cities. The same hoods in Jacktown of the past are STILL notorious today. The big difference is 1 city is a suburb of a top tier city & the other is an unknown mid south city to folks like you & mainstream press. I wasn't speaking on rates alone & actually total numbers. Exodus happened in Jackson too(especially the Westside).

I get you, so you agree with what Im saying that Jackson with all its gangs and trouble, that if residents can escape it by moving to another place then that could be a solution..

Old 05-20-2022, 07:33 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
I get you, so you agree with what Im saying that Jackson with all its gangs and trouble, that if residents can escape it by moving to another place then that could be a solution..
It's the same for urban black communities nationally. Relocate to well to do neighborhoods/suburbs or gentrify the hoods by block by block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City