Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2022, 05:50 PM

376 posts, read 209,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It’s because in real life, political boundaries don’t set perceptions. If DC included Arlington, VA and Alexandria, VA still, the city would have 102 sq. miles with around 1,200,000 people. If it included Bethesda, MD and Silver Spring, MD to match Philadelphia, it would have around 1,500,000 people and the murder rate would be low. Philadelphia is way more dangerous which is why that perception exists.

Statistically speaking, the DC metro area is one of the safest and richest metro areas in America. That’s where the perception comes from I believe.

That's true Imo. On sites like this one, we compare political boundary limits as a basis for fair comparisons. In reality though with the majority of people that just isn't how it's percieved. Aside from political commentary, that's why so many Californians complain about crime and thuggery. It doesn't show in the numbers but the perception is that the thuggery and duabachery is evenly wide spread, no matter where you go here. Even in nicer more expensive suburban communities you will have instances of selfish, thuggish behavior every once in a while. This does not pertain to any one race, just people in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 06:48 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default Boredatwork

DC does have one of the best perceptions in the media. The bad neighborhoods are mostly out of sight out of mind. Ytd there's been 30 murders in NW (350k) for a rate of 8.5 slightly less than st paul MN. Even PG county has a higher rate than NW DC. Ne/Se (300k) has 154 with a rate of 51 similar to Baltimore or Memphis. Just a tale of two cities.

If Baltimore were able to just clean up 1 side of the city the murder rate would be similar to DC like when the rate was 32 in 2012.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:00 AM

386 posts, read 266,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
DC does have one of the best perceptions in the media. The bad neighborhoods are mostly out of sight out of mind. Ytd there's been 30 murders in NW (350k) for a rate of 8.5 slightly less than st paul MN. Even PG county has a higher rate than NW DC. Ne/Se (300k) has 154 with a rate of 51 similar to Baltimore or Memphis. Just a tale of two cities.

If Baltimore were able to just clean up 1 side of the city the murder rate would be similar to DC like when the rate was 32 in 2012.
Yeah it’s mainly because DC’s bad areas for the most part are very segregated so you don’t feel unsafe or see the crime that often in many areas of the city. In Baltimore and to a lesser extent in Philly, neighborhoods change quickly so you can be wandering around what is a safe neighborhood and it can become bad very fast.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:31 PM

321 posts, read 1,125,252 times
Unfortunately Baltimore hit 300 yesterday. 8 years in a row of 300+

Old 11-21-2022, 07:09 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,654,979 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
Unfortunately Baltimore hit 300 yesterday. 8 years in a row of 300+
No other city comparable to Baltimore's size has that milestone except DC from 88-97.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:13 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
No other city comparable to Baltimore's size has that milestone except DC from 88-97.
Baltimore is doing it with a smaller population so the rate is even higher.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:44 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Milwaukee- 199

The city will be crossing the 200-mark for first time ever.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:57 AM

471 posts, read 272,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
It’s because in real life, political boundaries don’t set perceptions. If DC included Arlington, VA and Alexandria, VA still, the city would have 102 sq. miles with around 1,200,000 people. If it included Bethesda, MD and Silver Spring, MD to match Philadelphia, it would have around 1,500,000 people and the murder rate would be low. Philadelphia is way more dangerous which is why that perception exists.

Statistically speaking, the DC metro area is one of the safest and richest metro areas in America. That’s where the perception comes from I believe.
Sure, but how is this different from including Philly's suburbs? Most of which are wealthy and safe, with low crime. If you included them, it would have the same effect statistically.

Anecdotally, I feel way safer in Center City Philly than I did living in Columbia Heights. I heard gunfire all the time there and dealt with plenty of harassment from kids. I'll never forget kids running around shooting fireworks at people on the 4th, or the time someone opened fire with an Ak47 on people outside of the closest 7/11.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:21 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
St. Louis and DC are roughly the same size, both hampered by political boundaries, yet only one gets the 'dangerous city' label.

DC is the nations Capital. It would be a stain on the countries image if people found out it has one of the highest homicide rates in the country. Truth
DC was widely known as dangerous/murder capital up until the late 2000s.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:58 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Sure, but how is this different from including Philly's suburbs? Most of which are wealthy and safe, with low crime. If you included them, it would have the same effect statistically.

Anecdotally, I feel way safer in Center City Philly than I did living in Columbia Heights. I heard gunfire all the time there and dealt with plenty of harassment from kids. I'll never forget kids running around shooting fireworks at people on the 4th, or the time someone opened fire with an Ak47 on people outside of the closest 7/11.
Crime rates in DC, Philly, and Chicago metros were discussed at length a while back. The result...By and large both regions have similar stats and are very safe.

Comparing cities, neither city has a stellar track record, hopefully this thread can avoid another circular argument... Not calling you out, but some on CD have a habit of downplaying violent crime in DC and up-playing violent crime in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City