Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2022, 04:30 AM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times

Advertisements

Two murders in HR on Christmas. First happened in Hampton, a woman was shot and killed in her townhome in the Northampton area. That's 23 for the year. The second happened later in the night in the Victory Park area of Portsmouth, a man was found shot to death. That's 36 for the year, one away from tying the all-time record of 37.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 05:41 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
New England numbers

Hartford, CT 39
Providence, RI 9
Bridgeport, CT 18
Waterbury, CT 15
New Haven, CT 13
Worcester, MA 7
Lowell, MA 2
Holyoke, MA 6
Burlington, VT 5
Fall River, MA 3
New Bedford, MA 4
Lewison, ME 3
Portland, ME 3

Lynn 5
Lawrence 4
Pawtucket 3
Chicopee 3
Danbury 4

Pittsfield 3
Norwich 3
Lowell 1
New London 1
Norwalk 1
Stamford 1
Manchester, NH3
Nashua, NH 1
Augusta, ME 1
Rutland, VT 2
Haverhill, MA 1
Hamden, CT 4
Hartford 39/32.23 (up from 34 in '21)

Bridgeport 18/12.16 (down from 20 in '21)

New Haven 13/9.63 (down from 25 in '21)
Boston 41/6.26 (up from 36 in '21)

Providence 9/4.74 (down from 22 in '21)
Worcester 7/3.4 (up from 6 in '21)

Hartford is waaayyy ahead of everyone else in scale. New Haven and Providence saw precipitous drops, any idea why?

Old 12-26-2022, 05:45 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Hartford 39/32.23 (up from 34 in '21)

Bridgeport 18/12.16 (down from 20 in '21)

New Haven 13/9.63 (down from 25 in '21)
Boston 41/6.26 (up from 36 in '21)

Providence 9/4.74 (down from 22 in '21)
Worcester 7/3.4 (up from 6 in '21)

Hartford is waaayyy ahead of everyone else in scale. New Haven and Providence saw precipitous drops, any idea why?
Hartford is rough af that’s all you need to know. That’s why.

Pandemic era crime spikes over in many other if not most other cities. The worst amongst us though…

Old 12-26-2022, 05:51 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hartford is rough af that’s all you need to know. That’s why.

Pandemic era crime spikes over in many other if not most other cities. The worst amongst us though…
I've been to Hartford before, I could tell it's rough...

I recall both Bridgeport and New Haven both being worse once upon a time, seems they've cleaned both up, from the outside looking in...

Old 12-26-2022, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I've been to Hartford before, I could tell it's rough...

I recall both Bridgeport and New Haven both being worse once upon a time, seems they've cleaned both up, from the outside looking in...
New Haven is much nicer than Hartford in every way and visually it’s one of the prettiest urban cities in Southern New England. Less triple deckers, more tight neat homes, tons of trees compared to NB/FR/Prov. Few abandoned storefront. It’s not spectacular but it’s genuinely diverse and affordable enough. Not as brick and foreboding or blighted as Hartford, better food and arts. It’s a decent city that has been decent for a while but can’t shake off 1970s/90s stigma.

Bridgeport is rough but not unbelievably so, like it’s livable enough. And close enough to NYC. Hartford is really only good to live in a 5x5 block area downtown and in its far (north)western edge/corner. Virtually everywhere else is varying levels of dismay despair and desperation. With nice suburbs. Lived there for 4 years and was out in the community .Hartford is a poor 90% black/Latino city akin to Newark without the public transit and proximity to a larger city crisscrossed by disruptive High ways and with large untaxabke uninhabited north and south meadow districts. Part time City Council and a mayor not native to the area. Add to this much of the population is Puerto Rican and Jamaican and their money gets sent they’re in the form of remittances and not invested locally. I worked with the mayors office and SINA on the south side and learned about it all.

On top of all this crime isn’t even a major concern as the city is focused on redeveloped Downtown North primarily, and infill development i the form of affordable housing. Crime is just seen as the norm. There is little to no police park in the city and many substations appear totally unmanned or abandoned. I lived there 4 years and don’t even know what a Hartford police cruiser looks like.

Bridgeport has gained 10,000 people in the last 20 years. Hartford has lost 1,000. It’s different

Old 12-26-2022, 07:45 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
New Haven is much nicer than Hartford in every way and visually it’s one of the prettiest urban cities in Southern New England. Less triple deckers, more tight neat homes, tons of trees compared to NB/FR/Prov. Few abandoned storefront. It’s not spectacular but it’s genuinely diverse and affordable enough. Not as brick and foreboding or blighted as Hartford, better food and arts. It’s a decent city that has been decent for a while but can’t shake off 1970s/90s stigma.

Bridgeport is rough but not unbelievably so, like it’s livable enough. And close enough to NYC. Hartford is really only good to live in a 5x5 block area downtown and in its far (north)western edge/corner. Virtually everywhere else is varying levels of dismay despair and desperation. With nice suburbs. Lived there for 4 years and was out in the community .Hartford is a poor 90% black/Latino city akin to Newark without the public transit and proximity to a larger city crisscrossed by disruptive High ways and with large untaxabke uninhabited north and south meadow districts. Part time City Council and a mayor not native to the area. Add to this much of the population is Puerto Rican and Jamaican and their money gets sent they’re in the form of remittances and not invested locally. I worked with the mayors office and SINA on the south side and learned about it all.

On top of all this crime isn’t even a major concern as the city is focused on redeveloped Downtown North primarily, and infill development i the form of affordable housing. Crime is just seen as the norm. There is little to no police park in the city and many substations appear totally unmanned or abandoned. I lived there 4 years and don’t even know what a Hartford police cruiser looks like.

Bridgeport has gained 10,000 people in the last 20 years. Hartford has lost 1,000. It’s different
Hartford has so much potential.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hartford has so much potential.
So does Baltimore- but they need to get to a place where Homicide isn’t a given. Some of the poorest, saddest and most dysfunctional households I’ve ever been in are in Hartford.

Hartford needs an entirely new demographic to move into the city. Baltimore needs to focus on basic functions and infrastructure.

In the meantime the crimers keep criming unfettered. Especially in Hartford. Off topic atp

Old 12-26-2022, 08:10 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
So does Baltimore- but they need to get to a place where Homicide isn’t a given. Some of the poorest, saddest and most dysfunctional households I’ve ever been in are in Hartford.

Hartford needs an entirely new demographic to move into the city. Baltimore needs to focus on basic functions and infrastructure.

In the meantime the crimers keep criming unfettered. Especially in Hartford. Off topic atp
Your absolutely right, we need a new demographic in Hartford. I would say, like I have been saying, CT needs to attract young people. The State of Connecticut needs to invest a little bit more into Hartford. Lots of empty parking lots too.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:19 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
With the little data made public by the city of Miami, the city has seen 52 homicides in 2022. One article says the city saw 20 between Jan 1-June 30th + crime map says 32 between July 1st-December 25th. This is more than 2021 but less than 2020.

So 52 homicides using their last estimated population of 439,890 = 11.82/100,000

Island of Montreal is at 39, which is a 10 year high. With out estimated population of 2.025M = 1.92/100,000

Toronto is at 68, estimated population at around 2.8M = 2.43/100,000

Old 12-26-2022, 09:10 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:

New Haven is still rough city seen better days now but it have Yale help the city image and some areas are getting clean up. Downtown New Haven is nice it kinda like Providence but the city have access to NYC which helps last stop on Metro North, Amtrak to Boston, NYC, DC, Philly, Bmore. Wooster Square and East Rock are gentrifying areas in New Haven it home of famous pizza places and well kept homes.

Bridgeport gain population because lower income got priced out of Norwalk and Stamford they move to Bridgeport and Waterbury areas. The city saw lower income Mount Vernon, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Bronx, Harlem, Brooklyn residents moving in as well because they want to be close to city but need affordability. Downtown area is showing improvements.

Hartford doesn’t have much nice areas like Bridgeport and New Haven besides Downtown, West End, southern edges of the city

It is like lower income Boston residents got price out they move to Brockton, New Bedford, Fall River, Lawrence, Providence, Worcester, Lynn etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City